Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We certainly could have done a lot worse. It's not Rozier, and its not Cory Joseph.

Rubio will pass the ball. Booker and Ayton will greatly benefit. Hopefully his defense can return to its former level.
You're right! Offensively, this move will benefit three positions.

Hopefully, this is the end of Booker as de-facto Point Guard.

And the beginning of Ayton developing as a Center on offense.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Putting the right players around Booker, Ayton, and Oubre is franchise changing. Look at the shooting defense and toughness we added.

I think we're arguing semantics here. Define franchise changing. Improvement, yes. I wouldn't call it franchise changing. The Steve Nash addition instantly revolutionized our franchise. While these moves might be, and are probably, steps in the right direction, they come nowhere close to revolutionary.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Honestly I am happy with this. I said in one of these threads I would be content with Rubio IF Oubre is back as well. The latter hasn’t happened yet, but here’s the deal Suns fans...we have an NBA level starting PG that is intelligent, can run an offense, drive and find the open man AND make a proper entry pass to Ayton. He also takes pressure off Book as a ball handler, has playoff experience, and is a veteran. He checks a lot of boxes. You can say whatever you want about your shooting and defense but all these PG’s had weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right! Offensively, this move will benefit three positions.

Hopefully, this is the end of Booker as de-facto Point Guard.

And the beginning of Ayton developing as a Center on offense.

That's one of the most positive Suns posts I've seen from you in a while BC, glad to see it.

I know you don't watch a lot of other teams but I think you'll like what Rubio brings. He will definitely allow Booker to play SG and he will also help find Ayton in position to score.

Offensively, he'll improve the game of those around him and defensively he'll do what he is supposed to. He's not a world beater by any means but he's more than competent.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Putting the right players around Booker, Ayton, and Oubre is franchise changing. Look at the shooting defense and toughness we added.
Ridiculous

We are losing Warren and Daniels our best shooters and were the worst shooting team in the league while adding one of the worst shooting PGs and two rookies.

Saric at best is a mediocre shooter

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep he shot 50/40/90 last year. Only the 8th player ever to do so. In a bigger role with the Pacers I think he is gonna be a star.

So typical that instead of trying to get a player like that the suns sign Rubio. Sigh.
Many reports were linking the Suns with attempts at Brogdon. It's like you think that if you want something you get it.
Perhaps find something else to spend energy on for a while that will bring you joy? It apparently won't be the Suns.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ridiculous

We are losing Warren and Daniels our best shooters and were the worst shooting team in the league while adding one of the worst shooting PGs and two rookies.

Saric at best is a mediocre shooter

Shooting still a problem for sure

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like this signing. Rubio obviously has limitations, which is why he was willing to come to a terrible team on a modest contract. But the sad truth is that the Suns were flat-out unwatchable most of last season, because they simply didn't have the talent on the roster to be competitive.

They now have a core of players who would at least be in the rotation on a good team:

Booker
Ayton
Oubre (we hope)
Rubio
Bridges
Saric (arguably)

With Baynes and Tyler Johnson (if they keep him) as "maybes," and Cam Johnson a "hopefully." And maybe they'll add a cheap FA who can play. And who knows, maybe they'll be stuck with Jackson and he'll grow a brain.

That's not a rotation that's going to strike fear in any opponent, but at least it's competent. If they keep Oubre and stay reasonably healthy, they could see a win total in the low 30s next year. We'd all have loved for them to jump to .500 in a single season, but that wasn't happening. Regaining some credibility and having the ability to compete can go a long way toward repairing the severe dysfunction of this franchise.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes. I would have loved to have Brogdon for that too, but it was not just a trade, Brogdon was a FA and had to willingly sign here. It might not have been our choice or option.

I would like to know at least whether or not Brogdon was a possibility here.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I don't like Rubio I watch him play very poorly several times last year , I hate that the contract is for 3 years (not terrible but not great) at 17 mil a year which even people on ESPN said that seemed high.

All that said him and Jerome are leaps and bounds better than the start of last year so I can't complain much about not improving, very meh off-season. Hopefully Cam surprises us this year otherwise not too impressed with Jones so far.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Rozier is young had bot the best season but has tons of potential, Rubio cant hit a 3 and is only going to get worse, Booker going to face doubles with Rubios shooting and he will only get worse. Would have preferred a young guy to with the other young guys.
How can you say that Booker will get worse . . . than covering two positions and not having a skilled Point Guard to feed him?

I expect Booker to be an All Star next season as a pure Shooting Guard. He has done the spectacular to establish an All Star foundation.

Now he'll have the steadiness at one position. And we can expect less wear and tear on him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shooting still a problem for sure

I don't think it is.

Booker should return to his good shooting self - especially with less time at PG.

Bridges should be improved.

CAM is an incredible shooter and should be better than Warren.

Ty Jerome should be at least as good as Troy Daniels.

Saric is a big improvement over whoever we had at PF

The problem is Rubio.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I never wanted Brogdon to much money and may never be a star. Rubio is a vet. When we signed Nash in 2004 it wasn't well received one bit. We were told to much money...he's slowing down ...heck people even said his shooting was going south. I see huge similarity. Not in the player but the timing and dynamics. Oubre is our new ISO Joe... Ayton is our Amare ...Rubio our Nash. Can Saric turn into Q? This could be a franchise changing off-season and it's looking good no matter how the doom and gloom posters on this board spin it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's one of the most positive Suns posts I've seen from you in a while BC, glad to see it.

I know you don't watch a lot of other teams but I think you'll like what Rubio brings. He will definitely allow Booker to play SG and he will also help find Ayton in position to score.

Offensively, he'll improve the game of those around him and defensively he'll do what he is supposed to. He's not a world beater by any means but he's more than competent.
That is one of the most positive (and necessary) moves by the Suns in quite a while, Hoop. Glad to see it. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Utah offense, like the offense Igor sought to install, does not make use of a conventional distributing pg. Rubio was not a good fit at all for it. If you put the ball in his hands as a traditional pg running the offense, he will be back up to 9 assists per game and everyone around him will get better. His defense is still decent.

Who knows, his shooting might even improve. Kidd managed to improve his shooting around the same age. In fact, there are some similarities in strengths and weaknesses between Rubio and Kidd.

And he wants to be here, and he is a vet, and he is a great locker room leader.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never wanted Brogdon to much money and may never be a star. Rubio is a vet. When we signed Nash in 2004 it wasn't well received one bit. We were told to much money...he's slowing down ...heck people even said his shooting was going south. I see huge similarity. Not in the player but the timing and dynamics. Oubre is our new ISO Joe... Ayton is our Amare ...Rubio our Nash. Can Saric turn into Q? This could be a franchise changing off-season and it's looking good no matter how the doom and gloom posters on this board spin it.

Rubio is not Nash. Nash was always a good shooter.

I think you are referring to me as doom and gloom. I am not.

I think the team is going to be much improved - but the offseason should have been much better.

The only thing I think the Suns nailed was the hiring of Monty - and that alone could make a huge difference.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think it is.

Booker should return to his good shooting self - especially with less time at PG.

Bridges should be improved.

CAM is an incredible shooter and should be better than Warren.

Ty Jerome should be at least as good as Troy Daniels.

Saric is a big improvement over whoever we had at PF

The problem is Rubio.

You’re projecting every scenario as best case. There are no proven NBA elite 3pt shooters on this roster.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rubio is not Nash. Nash was always a good shooter.

I think you are referring to me as doom and gloom. I am not.

I think the team is going to be much improved - but the offseason should have been much better.

The only thing I think the Suns nailed was the hiring of Monty - and that alone could make a huge difference.
Hence the first part of my post where I said I'm not comparing the player only the timing and dynamics...yeah

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, giving Monty a legitimate Point Guard to move Booker back to his position is Part II of the equation.

If Monty had to continue the Point Book charade, it would have negated the potential he brings.

After a decade of disappointment and embarrassment, the Suns have finally put themselves in
position to start the climb upward.

You have to crawl before you can walk. This 10-year old version of the current NBA team is
ready to progress at long last. Hallelujah!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Russell was not really an option.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

D'Angelo Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns were huddling as recently as yesterday, league sources, while the Wolves have been canvassing the league to make the trades they need to make that can seal the former Nets All-Star as the new point guard in Minnesota

5:17 PM - 30 Jun 2019

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re projecting every scenario as best case. There are no proven NBA elite 3pt shooters on this roster.

Huh?

Saric is proven.

Booker is Proven - dude won the 3 point shooting contest, and came in 4th last year. Shot 38% year before last.

Tyler Johnson is a career 36% 3pt shooter.

Cam Johnson was literally the best shooter in college from NBA 3pt range. He shot 50% from 25 feet+ on 80 attempts.

Bridges form was all over the place and he still shot 33%. He has been working hard all summer, I think it is reasonable to assume he will fix it.

Jerome was like the 10th best shooter in college.

Heck even Baynes shot 35% from 3 last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard