Richard Sherman vs. Bruce Arians - round 1

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I googled both plays. Hard to see because of the angles but it looks to me on the kick Wagner blocks, #77 for Seattle definitely does the hold the OG down trick, on the other side 90 doesn't seem to. On the one Catanzaro missed, both 77 and 90 do it. in fact it looks like at least one of the Cards OL's was complaining on BOTH plays about it so clearly the Cards were aware of this.

And I googled that one by Chancellor and even though they made it apparently Carolina complained to the NFL about that exact thing and were told yes it's supposed to be defensive holding.

So all along I've been saying that wasn't a missed call but it turns out it actually was.

So now you just know someone is going to block a kick against Seattle doing that and the refs will call defensive holding.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh. Hey. Look at this: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-seahawks-vs-cardinals

Good times. Carson Palmer's accuracy has been garbage this season. I think a portion of the reason that Floyd has been struggling is that it's completely unpredictable where the ball is going to arrive. Even Fitz is dropping a ball a game or so (it seems) because they're not arriving on target.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. Hey. Look at this: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-seahawks-vs-cardinals

Good times. Carson Palmer's accuracy has been garbage this season. I think a portion of the reason that Floyd has been struggling is that it's completely unpredictable where the ball is going to arrive.

I have no idea what your post has to do with this thread. Also, great article, but it has nothing to do with Palmer's passing or Floyd's catching. Palmer does seem a little "off" this season - not wildly inaccurate by any means, but not as sharp as last season - but i recall Floyd dropping a lot of eminently catchable balls, like the one around the 10 yard line vs. the Seahawks. I don't recall him having to struggle to catch off-target passes. If he were, i think his critics would be cutting him a lot more slack.

...dbs

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have no idea what your post has to do with this thread. Also, great article, but it has nothing to do with Palmer's passing or Floyd's catching. Palmer does seem a little "off" this season - not wildly inaccurate by any means, but not as sharp as last season - but i recall Floyd dropping a lot of eminently catchable balls, like the one around the 10 yard line vs. the Seahawks. I don't recall him having to struggle to catch off-target passes. If he were, i think his critics would be cutting him a lot more slack.

...dbs
The first two gifs are about the Nelson play under discussion here.

Anyway, Nelson had to jump up to catch that ball on his outside shoulder. On his first big catch, Floyd had to go down to the ground, and he had to do the same thing when he dropped the ball--he can't get his hands in position when he can't predict what position to get them in.

People have hated on Floyd for a while here because he hasn't been Fitz or Boldin.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Longtime Cards fans will remember the infamous Ron Springs tip. Springs was a RB for the Cowboys, I forget who the coach for the Cards was at the time, it was after Coryell during a string of forgettable hires.

Anyways we lost to the Cowboys and they had a big offensive game and then the next couple of weeks their offense was largely ineffective. It eventually came out that Sprins had a tip or tell, when it was a running down he tightened his chin strap, when it was a passing down he loosened it(or vice versa). Both the teams that played them AFTER us, figured that out and feasted on them knowing pass or run, but of course the Cards never figured it out.

I remember reading a quote from an unnamed coach of one of the teams who figured it out saying we saw it on the tape of the Cards game and we were amazed the Cards never figured it out. Of course it took 3 games of him doing it for the Cowboys to realize he was doing it too.

I remember this as Robert Newhouse and it was whether he had his mouth piece in or not. Or maybe both the Springs and Newhouse things happened.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Longtime Cards fans will remember the infamous Ron Springs tip. Springs was a RB for the Cowboys, I forget who the coach for the Cards was at the time, it was after Coryell during a string of forgettable hires.
Let's see:

Bud Wilkenson
Jim Hanifan
Gene Stallings

Aside from the interim coaches of Larry Wilson and Hank Kuhlmann these are the coaches immediately following Coryell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good times. Carson Palmer's accuracy has been garbage this season. I think a portion of the reason that Floyd has been struggling is that it's completely unpredictable where the ball is going to arrive. Even Fitz is dropping a ball a game or so (it seems) because they're not arriving on target.

Gotta agree with Dave S here you took clips that have absolutely nothing to do with Palmer or Floyd beyond praising Palmer for the Nelson play(used his eyes to move the S) and then conclude that the reason Floyd is struggling to catch the ball is Palmer is terrible this year.
I remember this as Robert Newhouse and it was whether he had his mouth piece in or not. Or maybe both the Springs and Newhouse things happened.

You could be right on both points I thought it was Springs but too long ago to be positive.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah, like I said, if you are "fast" then you score there.

Sorry, as someone who always played the big man positions in sports, the fast guys are accountable in those situations.

The kid runs a 4.2, but I guess on the field it doesn't translate.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, as someone who always played the big man positions in sports, the fast guys are accountable in those situations.

To me it wasn't speed it's his lack of strength. I think a bigger stronger guy wouldn't have been that off balance from that level of contact but he's a smaller guy and he lost balance and by the time he got up to speed the Seattle S was able to get there.

It turned out to be a huge play by McCray though that's for sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hot take! sorry, but the idea that Floyd's struggles are on Palmer are a freaking joke. The ball has hit Floyd RIGHT in the chest too many times to count.

and seriously... the hot take stuff is so beyond lame.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyway, Nelson had to jump up to catch that ball on his outside shoulder. On his first big catch, Floyd had to go down to the ground, and he had to do the same thing when he dropped the ball--he can't get his hands in position when he can't predict what position to get them in.

People have hated on Floyd for a while here because he hasn't been Fitz or Boldin.

wow. another HOT TAKE!

People hate on Floyd because he's a first round pick who's played like a 3rd or 4th and has been ATROCIOUS this season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
hot take! sorry, but the idea that Floyd's struggles are on Palmer are a freaking joke. The ball has hit Floyd RIGHT in the chest too many times to count.

and seriously... the hot take stuff is so beyond lame.

It's pretty clear that "a portion" is not putting 100% of the blame on Palmer. I've been pretty clear that Floyd is struggling and needs to play better, more focused football. But Palmer is not playing at the same level he was last season, and that works against every other player on the roster.

As I said when I posted the clip, Nelson isn't helped by Palmer's ball placement on this pass. That has happened on a ton of attempts where guys aren't getting the ball in a place where they can make plays on it. Last year, Fitz's catch rate was 75%. This year, it's 66%. He's gone from Top 10 in DVOA last year to 42nd this year.

Maybe all of our wide receivers are definitely worse this season than last. Or it could be that the one guy throwing them the ball is a little worse.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
4.2 from a start, not when tripped and then twisting around to make a catch.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

Then his acceleration to get to top speed sucks. Watch the video, sure he gets tripped up, but he has A LOT of time and distance to get to top speed.

No excuses. Score.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Floyd is having a terrible year, any comment otherwise really adds nothing to it. Absolutely terrible year. He doesnt need to be fitz or boldin but 70 catches for 700 yards would be fine.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I will just add that I think it is a stupid rule anyway. Its football and we have a rule that you can't touch an opposing player on a live play. Duh. Is jumping over a pile just too darn athletic for a football player to be trying? Or maybe it looks too much like some kind of an extreme celebration, which we all know the league is against. Whatever the reason, why have it or even address it in the first place. There are tons more dangerous things to remove from the game if that is your object. Smashing a defenseless WR out of bounds when he is airborn along the sidelines seems much more dangerous to me. Who knows what he could come down on or how he might land when up in the air out of bounds. We actually changed the rule to encourage that not too long ago. Just let the athletes be athletic as they want to be and play the game. We, and they, all know the odds of getting hurt.
And one more thing, I'm all for letting the cheerleaders flash their breasts during time outs and at the end of quarters and halftime.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nah... we saw his jets last year on a play against the Bengals when he burned rubber, outrunning the D on a 68 yard TD.

Can't fault him on this one. That was a jump catch, shrug off tackle and turn direction.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
As someone pointed out, the dline is sitting on top of the guards to prevent them from coming up to block or trip up Kam, and that is considered a foul - both 72 and 99 both do it in this gif - so even though Kam was clean, Seattle should still have been called for the foul.
It's almost the snore d line doing it.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Floyd is having a terrible year, any comment otherwise really adds nothing to it. Absolutely terrible year. He doesnt need to be fitz or boldin but 70 catches for 700 yards would be fine.

This is a good post. He's nowhere near Fitz or Boldin. Floyd has been awful. He's almost a liability and taking up space. If we weren't so thin at WR, I'd suggest replacing him. I honestly think he screws up the offense by continually lining up wrong, running wrong routes, and generally just not catching the ball.

He's like a dufus with a lot of skills and attributes but no mental awareness at all. The guy is a ******* football player.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Looks to me JJ jumped and the ball hit him in the belt. If he doesn't jump that ball hits him in the chest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn