Richard Sherman vs. Bruce Arians - round 1

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Sherman is right too, BA should hire a better ST coach to stop the issue if he doesn't like it

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wagner has done done the same jump a few times over the years. He's been penalized for it at times and other times he's succeeded. If he times it right, good for him. But the opposing team should recognize their formation and try to draw him off-sides. *cough* cadence *cough*

This topic really needs to be let go.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yeah, water under the bridge. I just found it fascinating that a player is calling out an opposing team's coach. I guess 'no comment' are not words in Sherman's vocabulary.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well now maybe next time we play Seattle our crack special teams coach Amos Jones will prepare for it. :D

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Somebody on local TV after the game (Jude LaCava maybe?) showed how the Hags make this work. The D-line pancakes the guards, effectively holding/pinning them and rendering them incapable of being any help in stopping the vaulting Wagner. It's illegal, as it should be. He showed a replay of one of them against us and they CLEARLY flattened the guards and held them down from above. If the vault itself is legal, that part of the play is absolutely not, but is "rarely called" according to whoever was reporting it. If BA wanted to bitch, he should have focused on that aspect.

A better reaction would have been to stay silent and fire Amos Jones at 8am Monday morning. How many more games will special teams ineptitude cost the team this year? Keim or Bidwill is going to have to step in at some point and force the issue.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the part that suxx most is our ST's have actually looked a lot better the past couple weeks.... but there are just a few plays where you are like wtf?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Somebody on local TV after the game (Jude LaCava maybe?) showed how the Hags make this work. The D-line pancakes the guards, effectively holding/pinning them and rendering them incapable of being any help in stopping the vaulting Wagner. It's illegal, as it should be. He showed a replay of one of them against us and they CLEARLY flattened the guards and held them down from above. If the vault itself is legal, that part of the play is absolutely not, but is "rarely called" according to whoever was reporting it. If BA wanted to bitch, he should have focused on that aspect.

A better reaction would have been to stay silent and fire Amos Jones at 8am Monday morning. How many more games will special teams ineptitude cost the team this year? Keim or Bidwill is going to have to step in at some point and force the issue.
I think it will happen this offseason.
Nearly Every time the Cards have had a weakness in the Bask era they've tried to fix it, though not always before it we wanted it or it cost this teams game.

1) Levi elite Clown- traded after a terrible game in Nawlins after years of ineptitude

2) Edge rusher-Big Reds best season came crashing to an end because it didn't have a guy to consistently get after the QB. Problem solved when we traded for Jones after years of the same issue

3) LS-bad snap costs Big Red game 1 & another weeks later. Rookie was canned immediately.

4)Punter- cards fans had been screaming for Butler to be fired for 3 years. Even though it took an injury, it finally happened! Woohoo

It's gonna happen folks! Amos will get his walking papers after this season because Michael & Keim want to hoist the Lombardi too bad & the window is closing. Just my 2 cents.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just have Aaron stand up more instead of laying flat on the ground. Simple fix. Oh and stop being routine and mix it up each game to throw off the D.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, water under the bridge. I just found it fascinating that a player is calling out an opposing team's coach. I guess 'no comment' are not words in Sherman's vocabulary.

To be fair he didn't call out Arians he was specifically asked to respond to Arians complaints about it. Because Sherman is on FG blocks(he was closer than Wagner on the one Cat missed) they apparently considered him relevant and he gave his opinion.

I too think Sherman is right, we said it here ourselves just do a hard count and Wagner would go flying over and then we'd have first and goal from the half yard line.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I think it will happen this offseason.

4)Punter- cards fans had been screaming for Butler to be fired for 3 years. Even though it took an injury, it finally happened! Woohoo

It's gonna happen folks! Amos will get his walking papers after this season because Michael & Keim want to hoist the Lombardi too bad & the window is closing. Just my 2 cents.

A. Butler signed after 2014 season began, so folks have only been calling for his head for 2 years.

B. Butler is injured, recovering from an achilles issue. We tried carrying him on the roster, but ultimately needed the space. We will bring him back once he is healed.

C. Amos has been with BA since there were together in Alabama. Unless Amos gets a HC job, he isn't going anywhere. Michael and Keim won't push BA on this issue. If anything, they'll hire an extra assistant to help out there.

ST have been the one area that we do worse under BA than Whiz. I don't know if we can put all of that on Amos. With CBA limited practice time constraints, how long does BA allowing Amos to take players away from their regular position drills to focus on ST? Do we need to drop an extra DL or LB in favor of a ST ace?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wagner has done done the same jump a few times over the years. He's been penalized for it at times and other times he's succeeded. If he times it right, good for him. But the opposing team should recognize their formation and try to draw him off-sides. *cough* cadence *cough*

Kam has done the same thing.

You must be registered for see images

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kam has done the same thing.

You must be registered for see images

As someone pointed out, the dline is sitting on top of the guards to prevent them from coming up to block or trip up Kam, and that is considered a foul - both 72 and 99 both do it in this gif - so even though Kam was clean, Seattle should still have been called for the foul.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

I have no problems with anybody athletic enough to jump "cleanly" over the center but the replay showed wagner's shoe made contact so that should have been a penalty.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Seahawks were well within their right to try to disrupt the Cardinals' kicking game---they spotted flaws and attacked them. That said, their execution of the first FG block was illegal and they should have been penalized. How the NFL could deem such a play as "unreviewable" makes a mockery out of the replay system.

However, the Seahawks legally turned the game around on the blocked punt---again, they detected a flaw and a weakness and tried to exploit it, this time without the need for any flags or reviews.

Richard Sherman has a point about predictable snap counts---and it's not just on FGs---it's on the Cardinals' offense which for weeks has been hiking the ball on the first hut 95% of the time. The Cardinals do wait for some key times to try to get the defense to jump off-sides, but, at the percentage in which they are being predictable with the snaps, they are giving the opposing defense a clear advantage---which is one of the main reasons why they were not able to sustain drives versus the Seahawks---timing disruptions, penalties, missed blocks, dropped passes---al it takes one or two of these a drive and the drive is over.

Thus far---this year's Cardinals do not a very well coached team on tape. They have been dreadfully mistake prone. Opponents have been detecting and exploiting the Cardinals' flaws while the Cardinals are not finding way to give themselves advantages. It's as if no coach on the Cardinals' staff can clearly see or anticipate how other teams would prepare for them. In close games it all comes down to preparation and discipline. It is time for the Cardinals to flip those switches, if they are serious about contending.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sherman should just be happy DeShawn Shead bailed his ass out on his miss tackle. That SHOULD have been the game but JJ Nelson is not much of a play maker, IMO.

Still have NO IDEA how Nelson gets caught and was prevented from scoring on that play.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sherman should just be happy DeShawn Shead bailed his ass out on his miss tackle. That SHOULD have been the game but JJ Nelson is not much of a play maker, IMO.

Still have NO IDEA how Nelson gets caught and was prevented from scoring on that play.

Even J.J. lamented that fact that he didn't score---but, what hurt his cause was not being able to take the pass in stride, thus after he caught the ball, he had to turn and get his motor started, which gave S Kelcie McCray (I think it was him, Bucky) a chance to play the perfect pursuit angle on it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was off balance when he caught the ball and turned so he was stumbling a bit and didn't get up to speed as quickly as he could/should.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A. Butler signed after 2014 season began, so folks have only been calling for his head for 2 years.

B. Butler is injured, recovering from an achilles issue. We tried carrying him on the roster, but ultimately needed the space. We will bring him back once he is healed.

C. Amos has been with BA since there were together in Alabama. Unless Amos gets a HC job, he isn't going anywhere. Michael and Keim won't push BA on this issue. If anything, they'll hire an extra assistant to help out there.

ST have been the one area that we do worse under BA than Whiz. I don't know if we can put all of that on Amos. With CBA limited practice time constraints, how long does BA allowing Amos to take players away from their regular position drills to focus on ST? Do we need to drop an extra DL or LB in favor of a ST ace?
i dont think Butler is coming back, the new punter has much more hang time.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Richard Sherman has a point about predictable snap counts
This reminds me of my junior year in high school when we had to play our traditional Thanksgiving rival on a Saturday because the implications of the game weren't only the conference and county championship but a trip to the state playoffs as well. A former member of our team defected to that team because of our coach. Our offense was blatantly predictable especially to him. When we lined up to the right, the ball was snapped on 1. When we lined up on the left, it was on 2. Never did our coach attempt to change this up and the other team was in our backfield all day. Still, we only lost by 2 but lost we did(we lost due to a blown call by the officials when they ruled the ball down after a fumble we returned for a TD).

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no problems with anybody athletic enough to jump "cleanly" over the center but the replay showed wagner's shoe made contact so that should have been a penalty.
That contact is legal. What a player can't do is step on or use a player to propel themselves.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sherman got just enough of his foot that he lost balance and had to regain it and that allowed Shead to catch him before he got to full speed.

I jumped off the couch yelling "go JJ go" and I was stunned he got caught until they showed the replay and I saw the stumble.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of my junior year in high school when we had to play our traditional Thanksgiving rival on a Saturday because the implications of the game weren't only the conference and county championship but a trip to the state playoffs as well. A former member of our team defected to that team because of our coach. Our offense was blatantly predictable especially to him. When we lined up to the right, the ball was snapped on 1. When we lined up on the left, it was on 2. Never did our coach attempt to change this up and the other team was in our backfield all day. Still, we only lost by 2 but lost we did(we lost due to a blown call by the officials when they ruled the ball down after a fumble we returned for a TD).

Longtime Cards fans will remember the infamous Ron Springs tip. Springs was a RB for the Cowboys, I forget who the coach for the Cards was at the time, it was after Coryell during a string of forgettable hires.

Anyways we lost to the Cowboys and they had a big offensive game and then the next couple of weeks their offense was largely ineffective. It eventually came out that Sprins had a tip or tell, when it was a running down he tightened his chin strap, when it was a passing down he loosened it(or vice versa). Both the teams that played them AFTER us, figured that out and feasted on them knowing pass or run, but of course the Cards never figured it out.

I remember reading a quote from an unnamed coach of one of the teams who figured it out saying we saw it on the tape of the Cards game and we were amazed the Cards never figured it out. Of course it took 3 games of him doing it for the Cowboys to realize he was doing it too.