Rian Johnson Developing New Star Wars Trilogy

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rian Johnson Developing New Star Wars Trilogy

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...son-developing-new-star-wars-trilogy#/slide/1

As fans have begun to wonder what would come of their favorite franchise in a galaxy far, far away, Lucasfilm has officially announced their plans following Star Wars: Episode IX, with Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson developing a brand-new Star Wars trilogy! Johnson will write and direct the first film in the series, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

"We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

:jedi:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From a part of the galaxy we’ve never seen before. Interesting. Please let them knock this outta the park.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No doubt. I hope this isn't Star Wars in name only.
It very well could be and that would likely be appropriate given that it’s in a part of the galaxy we’ve never seen. One of my primary complaints is sans cloud city, every other planet they’ve ever visited just look like parts of earth. Nothing REALLY exotic (like in - crap I’ve forgotten the name of the movie with the blue people - THAT’S how long it’s been since it came out!).

The story would have to be VERY different. I mean I guess it could still revolve around the force and dark side and how it evolved in another galaxy far far away, but that would be derivative.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It very well could be and that would likely be appropriate given that it’s in a part of the galaxy we’ve never seen. One of my primary complaints is sans cloud city, every other planet they’ve ever visited just look like parts of earth. Nothing REALLY exotic (like in - crap I’ve forgotten the name of the movie with the blue people - THAT’S how long it’s been since it came out!).

The story would have to be VERY different. I mean I guess it could still revolve around the force and dark side and how it evolved in another galaxy far far away, but that would be derivative.

yeah... I hope it's just a completely new fresh sci-fi odyssey that he comes up with.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing REALLY exotic (like in - crap I’ve forgotten the name of the movie with the blue people - THAT’S how long it’s been since it came out!).

I can help with this one. Avatar.

Never saw it in the theaters. Own it on Blu-ray (contest win). Still have never seen it. LOL

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That's just it. The Empire ruled the galaxy and the Rebels/Jedi opposed that. And, now the First order is trying to light that flame again. That's the core component of Star Wars. Good vs bad, light vs dark.

New planets and characters, great, but it has to have the components to make it Star Wars. Otherwise, it's just another sci-fi space odyssey.

Disney has confidence in Rian, so I've got faith in it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... the brass over at Disney must LOVE what he did with Last Jedi. Gets me a little more geeked up for it.

Same here, but at the same time it makes me worry about Episode IX. If Rian did so well...why go back to Abrams?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, but at the same time it makes me worry about Episode IX. If Rian did so well...why go back to Abrams?

I'm guessing that when they pulled the plug on Trevorrow, Johnson was still knee deep in post and it would have been near impossible to wrap post at the same time as rewriting the next movie/go into pre-production. And they still wanted to hit their 2019 release date and needed to get to work on that movie ASAP, thus went with JJ.

Also, after helming something as massive as Star Wars, the director is going to be exhausted and to throw him into a mess with a soon approaching release date (which was already moved once) probably wouldn't have produced a very good movie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Never saw it in the theaters. Own it on Blu-ray (contest win). Still have never seen it. LOL
Yes! That was killing me.

You should watch it. Should’ve watched it on imax. But should still watch it. Visuals are great.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes! That was killing me.

You should watch it. Should’ve watched it on imax. But should still watch it. Visuals are great.

And that's the problem. Visuals are great in Avatar, yes. The content...not so much.

Don't bother.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can't ditch some Star Wars fundamentals or it's no longer Star Wars. It's just another sci-fi movie that happens to have Star Wars in the title. I would just be excited to see new characters and new settings with some fresh story telling. At it's core though it should always be about the Dark vs the Light and the small guy taking on what appears to be an impossible foe.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can't ditch some Star Wars fundamentals or it's no longer Star Wars. It's just another sci-fi movie that happens to have Star Wars in the title. I would just be excited to see new characters and new settings with some fresh story telling. At it's core though it should always be about the Dark vs the Light and the small guy taking on what appears to be an impossible foe.

It would take some serious genius to tell that story AGAIN without seriously retelling it . . . again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would take some serious genius to tell that story AGAIN without seriously retelling it . . . again.

I don't see Dark vs Light being a single story. Even the small guy taking on the big guy. There are so many unexplored stories in the Star Wars universe. Even though most of the EU sucked there were a ton of good ideas there.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would love for them to explore the old republic. Characters like Revan, Canderous, Bastila, Kreia, HK-47, etc.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love for them to explore the old republic. Characters like Revan, Canderous, Bastila, Kreia, HK-47, etc.

Movies about the old Republic could be epic. Especially, since Rogue One whiffed on an opportunity to tell more about the history of the Jedi on Jedha.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at once thrilled, but also a little cautious.

Like what was said above, if you take away too many elements it ceases to be the GFFA and is just sci-fi. I still want to see the Force, the light versus the dark, and that feel of it. Supposedly taking it to the Unknown Regions might be fine but they need to be careful.

Disney could churn out 2 SW movies a year for the next 20 years and they'll make bank on every single one of them as long as they tell good stories and remain true to the mythology. They can go far back to the Old Republic, or sideways or head into the future. They have many, many options.

I am still interested in the Skywalker family. I'll still be interested in Rey, Finn, and Poe.

I think it says something Disney/Lucasfilm showed so much faith in him they gave him 3 movies even before TLJ even comes out. I believe they've seen it and its phenomenal. I know people have some issues with TFA for being a retelling of ANH (I for one didn't mind and thought TFA was awesome) and they fear that TLJ will likewise be a retelling of ESB. But I think this announcement might indicate that TLJ could possibly be so great it might supplant ESB as the consensus favorite. I think it could very well blow everyone away, and the trailers sure seem to indicate that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will reserve judgement until I actually see Rian’s work. Another big studio gave another guy named Snyder a multi-movie deal too.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They recently released a patch for the Xbox One to play original Xbox games. First thing I popped in was Knights of the Old Republic. It's in 4x3 aspect but plays very fast on a modern machine and the graphics are pretty decent considering how long ago it came out. That game is near perfection in my opinion.

I too would definitely be on board for a trip to the Old Republic!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson