Retooling the Cardinals' Offense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This year's Super Bowl gave us a good glimpse as to the style of offense that Mike McCoy prefers.

McCoy is an advocate of the Patriots' style of offense which is predicated on a balance running game with a passing game that attacks the seams with the TEs, the middle with the slot WRs and the perimeter with the RBs out of the backfield on screens, flares and wheel routes.

The Eagles do very much the same, only they have added a package of RPO plays in order to put pressure on the linebackers, defensive ends and cornerbacks.

At first glance---what the Cardinals need is a QB, a pass-catching TE, a bona fide slot WR (other than Fitz), and an athletic trio of OL (G-C-G) in the middle. Plus, both teams at times employ a FB.

QB:

We have already discussed this all-important decision at length. I think that Nick Foles would be an ideal match for Mike McCoy's offense. if Foles cannot be had via a trade, then the next best options, imo, would be Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum. Sam Bradford could be a fit, but his knee issues are a concern. The Cardinals' medical staff would have to give Steve Keim the nod on Bradford. Josh McCown could be a good mentor and bridge QB, if necessary.

In the draft, the best fits, imo, are Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk.

RB:

David Johnson and T.J. Logan are immediate fits. Elijaah Penny could serve as a utility RB/FB.

The reservation about Kerwynn Williams is his pass receiving skill. Three affordable UFAs who could be dynamic in the offense are Rex Burkhead (Pats), Jerick McKinnon (Vikings) and Jamal Charles (Broncos).

In the draft, Soni Michel (Georgia) is the Alvin Kamara of this year's class, but he is going to be a top 40 pick. Three RBs to like in Round 3 are: Rashaad Penny (SD St.), Akrum Wadley (Iowa) and Royce Freeman (Oregon).

TE:

Already paying TE Jermaine Gresham over $7M a year, limits what the Cardinals can realistically spend in free agency, particularly in light of other needs. The UFA TE who would be a great fit is Trey Burton (Eagles), but he is likely to warrant $5-6M+ a year. Sportrac currently rates his market value at $7M per.

The hope is that Ricky Seals-Jones will build on his rookie performance and be a go-to receiver. But the Cardinals need to add another bona fide TE either through FA and/or the draft. The draft is deep in TEs this year with prospects Mark Andrews (Oklahoma), Hayden Hurst (South Carolina), Mike Gesicki (Penn St.), Dallas Goedert (S. Dak. St.), Dalton Schultz (Stanford) and Adam Breneman (Massachusetts).

Steve Keim could pull a rabbit out of his hat with HB/TE/FB Jaylen Samuels of his alma mater NC State.

Slot WR:

For years the Cardinals have been lacking at this position as the more diminutive WRs they drafted like John Brown and J.J. Nelson could not hold up physically inside. Larry Fitzgerald has been dynamic in this role, although he has been used the past few years more like a TE.

This a good year to draft a slot WR in the first 3-4 rounds. The ones that stand out are: Calvin Ridley (Alabama), Christian Kirk (Texas A&M), Anthony Miller (Memphis), D.J. Moore (Maryland), Keke Coutee (Texas Tech) and Dante Pettis (Washington). Antonio Callaway of Florida a potential stud, but has off the field issues.

C:

When you look at the success of the Eagles' and Patriots' offensive lines---it all starts at center with Jason Kelce (6-3, 295) and David Andrews (6-3, 295). Both Kelce and Andrews are athletic, smart and tenacious.

While A.Q. Shipley is a terrific, smart high-effort player, he lacks the requisite athleticism to be a standout in the middle. Evan Boehm is a strong anchor, but he has heavy feet. The wild card whom Steve Keim is going to have to pitch to Steve Wilks and Mike McCoy is Daniel Munyer, the most athletic of the three, but slightly undersized at 6-1, 305.

The best centers in the UFA market are Ryan Jensen (6-4, 310, Ravens) and Travis Swanson (Lions).

In the draft, Billy Price (Ohio St.) is a flat-out stud and worthy of a 1st round selection, imo. Chances are the Cardinals are not going to use their 1st round pick on a center, but others of note in this draft are Mason Cole (Michigan), Frank Ragnow (Arkansas), Will Clapp (LSU), Austin Corbett (Nevada), James Daniels (Iowa) and Bradley Bozeman (Alabama).

G:

A decision has to made about incumbent, oft-injured LG Mike iupati who carries a heft cap hit into this season. Steve Wilks and OLC Ray Brown have made it clear that they want to run the ball and a healthy Iupati would fit the bill, if he is willing to take a pay cut.

However, the prize UFA LG this year is Andrew Norwell, whom Wilks and Brown coached in Carolina. While he is going to command a salary close to $11-12M a year, he could be well worth the investment and the clear signal that turning the OL around is of top priority. Other notable UFA Gs are Justin Pugh (Giants), Jack Mewhort (Colts) and Josh Kline (Titans). 32 year old Matt Slausen (Chargers) is a C/G option coming off a torn bicep, but could well be a favorite of Mike McCoy's.

At RG, re-signing Alex Boone on a 1 or 2 year deal may make sense. Boone played hard for the Cardinals last year and seems to like playing in Arizona.

In the draft, if G/C Isaiah Wynn (Georgia) is available in Round 2, he could be a coup and start immediately at center or RG. Other top guard prospects are: Will Hernandez (UTEP), Taylor Hearn (Clemson), Skyler Phillips (Idaho), Sean Welsh (Iowa) and Braden Smith (Auburn).

T:

It appears that the Cardinals are in pretty good shape at tackle. D.J. Humphries returns to the lineup at LT and hopes to take his game to a higher level. At RT, Jared Veldheer rallied up big-time last season and would be worth keeping for the final year of his contract, perhaps if he is willing to take a small pay cut. Behind Humphries and Veldheer there is solid depth in John Wetzel and Will Holden.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A few comments:

1. Outside WR is more important than slot WR since there is no threat on the outside. Would like Cards to bring back Jaron Brown on a 2 year deal as WR #3 but he might get good dollars on the market.

2. TE wise it may be necessary to give Niklas a shot on a year prove it deal. Likely they will move on

3. Jared Veldheer looked better on the left side. I don't remember Veldheer being any good on the right

4. Jamal Charles one year $1 million dollar deal will help. Also brings in McCoys playbook experience

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Terrific write-up, Mitch.

So why don't I feel secure about our starting and backup tackles? Two things seem to be missing: (1) Neither Veldheer and Humphries are "Joe Thomas Rock Solid." and (2) I don't have a feel for how Wetzel and Holden are developing in backup roles.

Likewise, Gresham backed up by Niklas doesn't make me feel all that warm and fuzzy about our TE durability or depth.

QB remains our #1 offensive priority (to state the obvious) but a close runner up has to be a big, fast, durable, shifty outside wideout with Velcro hands.

And - to single out a major NFL trend - injuries lurk over our shoulders at every position. (I'm not sure what we can do about them other than to shore up our depth by overpaying for backup talent at the bottom-25% of our roster. In other words, if we cross our fingers and sing "La La La - I can't hear you", there's an 80% probability we will be toast).

Final OT observation: This Draft class is super-deep in the quantity of defensive interior linemen (Don't know how good they all are after the top 4 - 6, but there sure are a lot of them).

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great rundown! My ideal plan for the Cards offseason is find a number 2 CB in FA and then go heavy on the offensive side through the draft. L Jackson/Mayfield/Rudolph in round one. Grab an OC and OG with our next couple of picks to compete with Boone/Boehm/Iupati(restructure). Isaiah Wynn, James Daniels, Ragnow, Braden Smith, Hernendez are a few of my favorites.

I love Anthony Miller! His draft stock is all over the place, so hard to tell where he will go. Dante Pettis would be a solid #2 WR with elite PR skills. Korey Robertson and Michael Gallup are two others I like as well.

What about DJ Foster? Does he have a place on the team next season?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
A few comments:

1. Outside WR is more important than slot WR since there is no threat on the outside. Would like Cards to bring back Jaron Brown on a 2 year deal as WR #3 but he might get good dollars on the market.

2. TE wise it may be necessary to give Niklas a shot on a year prove it deal. Likely they will move on

3. Jared Veldheer looked better on the left side. I don't remember Veldheer being any good on the right

4. Jamal Charles one year $1 million dollar deal will help. Also brings in McCoys playbook experience

1. Chad Williams and J.J. Nelson should be factors at WR. I think SK will try to re-sign Jaron Brown, but MJ is reporting that Jaron is getting a good deal of interest as a #2 WR from other teams and might price himself out of the Cardinals' budget. Not sure I agree with this, though. But, McCoy cannot make his offense work w/o a legit Stefan Diggs type slot WR.

2. Niklas has already proven that he's an injury risk and a very inconsistent player when healthy. Still can't fathom how he dropped the TD pass versus Washington.

3. Veldheer had 3 very good games at RT in a row before DJH got hurt and Veldheer was switched back over to LT. With one year left on his contract there is no way the Cardinals mess with their LT investment in Humphries.

4. Jamal Charles would be an exciting addition at RB.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Terrific write-up, Mitch.

So why don't I feel secure about our starting and backup tackles? Two things seem to be missing: (1) Neither Veldheer and Humphries are "Joe Thomas Rock Solid." and (2) I don't have a feel for how Wetzel and Holden are developing in backup roles.

Likewise, Gresham backed up by Niklas doesn't make me feel all that warm and fuzzy about our TE durability or depth.

QB remains our #1 offensive priority (to state the obvious) but a close runner up has to be a big, fast, durable, shifty outside wideout with Velcro hands.

And - to single out a major NFL trend - injuries lurk over our shoulders at every position. (I'm not sure what we can do about them other than to shore up our depth by overpaying for backup talent at the bottom-25% of our roster. In other words, if we cross our fingers and sing "La La La - I can't hear you", there's an 80% probability we will be toast).

Final OT observation: This Draft class is super-deep in the quantity of defensive interior linemen (Don't know how good they all are after the top 4 - 6, but there sure are a lot of them).

Because of injuries the Cardinals have had their depth at tackle tested---and that experience, imo, bodes well for next year. I think John Wetzel is a legitimate starting RT...he is a mauler in the running game and is outstanding in blocking upfield on screen plays. He's much improves as a pass rusher as well. Will Holden played tow solid games at LT at the end of the season, which is very encouraging if DJH gets injured again.

But, i understand your insecurities about the OL and T positions---it's just been a revolving door of lineups and players.

Gresham is a liability and now he's recovering from a torn Achilles. A remaking of the TE unit is needed, save for continuing to develop Ricky Seals-Jones. They have clear upside in RSJ.

As for interior defensive linemen---I think it's one of our most talented groups with veteran DT Cory Peters and youth: Robert Nkemdiche, Rodney Gunter, Olsen Pierre and Xavier Williams. Plus, don't sleep on DT Pasoni Tasini, who could develop as a stalwart in the goal-line defense. One has to wonder if Steve Wilks will add UFA Star Lotulelei to this group. But right now the most pressing needs in the draft are at other positions.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great rundown! My ideal plan for the Cards offseason is find a number 2 CB in FA and then go heavy on the offensive side through the draft. L Jackson/Mayfield/Rudolph in round one. Grab an OC and OG with our next couple of picks to compete with Boone/Boehm/Iupati(restructure). Isaiah Wynn, James Daniels, Ragnow, Braden Smith, Hernendez are a few of my favorites.

I love Anthony Miller! His draft stock is all over the place, so hard to tell where he will go. Dante Pettis would be a solid #2 WR with elite PR skills. Korey Robertson and Michael Gallup are two others I like as well.

What about DJ Foster? Does he have a place on the team next season?

I like all your WR and OL favorites. And your strategy of adding a CB via FA (and I would add we should sign a MLB in free agency too) is right on the money.

D.J. Foster should be in the mix, but if additions are made at RB, it will be harder for Foster to make the roster, especially with T.J. Logan returning.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Chad Williams and J.J. Nelson should be factors at WR. I think SK will try to re-sign Jaron Brown, but MJ is reporting that Jaron is getting a good deal of interest as a #2 WR from other teams and might price himself out of the Cardinals' budget. Not sure I agree with this, though. But, McCoy cannot make his offense work w/o a legit Stefan Diggs type slot WR.

2. Niklas has already proven that he's an injury risk and a very inconsistent player when healthy. Still can't fathom how he dropped the TD pass versus Washington.

3. Veldheer had 3 very good games at RT in a row before DJH got hurt and Veldheer was switched back over to LT. With one year left on his contract there is no way the Cardinals mess with their LT investment in Humphries.

4. Jamal Charles would be an exciting addition at RB.

1. Outside #1 receiver is what I am referring. Neither Chad Williams (hopefully Chad can turn a corner) or JJ Nelson are answers on that end.

2. Yeah Niklas is injury prone. He seemed to do well as blocker when playing on the field. may be the new coaching and training staff can help. And he can be had for cheap given the albatross of Gresham's contract.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
1. Outside #1 receiver is what I am referring. Neither Chad Williams (hopefully Chad can turn a corner) or JJ Nelson are answers on that end.

2. Yeah Niklas is injury prone. He seemed to do well as blocker when playing on the field. may be the new coaching and training staff can help. And he can be had for cheap given the albatross of Gresham's contract.

Chad Williams and J.J. Nelson can stretch the defense---both need to step up---but we need another WR in that mix. I liked what I saw in D.J. Chark (LSU) at the Senior Bowl. I also was impressed with Tre'Quan Smith of Central Florida.

I think we need better athleticism at TE, better than what Niklas brings.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Start with the OL. The Eagles OL are the unsung heroes of their season and march through the playoffs. Not a glamorous pick to go OL high in the draft---but that is what the Cowboys did prior to Dak Prescott. They made him look much better than he is. All positions on the OL are under review---including Hump and Valdheer

Nicholas . . . we keep waiting, waiting, waiting. RSJ plays with more fluidity and intensity.

Where does Fitz fit in? The Hines Ward slot guy that BA had Fitz adopt is gone---does Fitz have the speed to go back outside?

Gresham---makes some plays and brings the attitude---also brings the off-side penalties at the exact wrong time in the flow of the offense. Injury settlement and/or cut.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
From what(little) I read, Charles was not happy with how Denver used him last year. Was that McCoy's doing? If so, I don't see him wanting to come to the Cardinals.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After watching the Eagles make easy targets for Foles all night, I think we need to get back to tall WRs who can bring down jump balls. That's also something out SB team was able to do that none of our teams since have been able to do.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not about fits in this draft at QB, you simply find a QB with skill which you know can excel if just in one system and build around that template... we have no offensive style requirement, that QB drafted will decide this if what the coaches are telling us is true and I see no reason why not

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Start with the OL. The Eagles OL are the unsung heroes of their season and march through the playoffs. Not a glamorous pick to go OL high in the draft---but that is what the Cowboys did prior to Dak Prescott. They made him look much better than he is. All positions on the OL are under review---including Hump and Valdheer

I think that is absolutely correct, GDB, and I really like how you, OhCrap and Mitch all highlighted the needs on this unit. I would like to focus a bit on the center-spot, because I think that the position has been a little neglected for years. Do you remember Reggie Wells? I thought he was a good center, but have they really fielded an above average center since?

All the best offensive lines in the NFL, both in terms of the eye test (although that is obviously subjective) and according to Football Outsiders’ metrics, has good centers. I think it is a highly underappreciated position, among other things because they are supposed to help the quarterback in reading the defense and then communicate the plays to the rest of the offensive line.

Unlike Mitch, though, I think the center from the Giants, Weston Richburg, is the best one scheduled to become a free agent. The reason is said to be that their new regime will make a big overhaul to their roster, and since Richburg spend most of last season on injured reserve, he could easily be a casualty. Some time ago he was on pace to be on of the very best centers in the game, but then a concussion set him back. For those reasons, I don’t think he would be that expensive, yet the upside would be high.

On the other hand, I completely agree with Mitch that Billy Price out of Ohio State could be worthy of a selection in the first round, depending on what they do at quarterback. Price is really good.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Chad Williams and J.J. Nelson can stretch the defense---both need to step up---but we need another WR in that mix. I liked what I saw in D.J. Chark (LSU) at the Senior Bowl. I also was impressed with Tre'Quan Smith of Central Florida.

I think we need better athleticism at TE, better than what Niklas brings.

so you think RSJ who can`t block his way out of a paper bag will be a impact TE? LMFAO.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This year's Super Bowl gave us a good glimpse as to the style of offense that Mike McCoy prefers.

McCoy is an advocate of the Patriots' style of offense which is predicated on a balance running game with a passing game that attacks the seams with the TEs, the middle with the slot WRs and the perimeter with the RBs out of the backfield on screens, flares and wheel routes.

The Eagles do very much the same, only they have added a package of RPO plays in order to put pressure on the linebackers, defensive ends and cornerbacks.

At first glance---what the Cardinals need is a QB, a pass-catching TE, a bona fide slot WR (other than Fitz), and an athletic trio of OL (G-C-G) in the middle. Plus, both teams at times employ a FB.

QB:

We have already discussed this all-important decision at length. I think that Nick Foles would be an ideal match for Mike McCoy's offense. if Foles cannot be had via a trade, then the next best options, imo, would be Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum. Sam Bradford could be a fit, but his knee issues are a concern. The Cardinals' medical staff would have to give Steve Keim the nod on Bradford. Josh McCown could be a good mentor and bridge QB, if necessary.

In the draft, the best fits, imo, are Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk.

RB:

David Johnson and T.J. Logan are immediate fits. Elijaah Penny could serve as a utility RB/FB.

The reservation about Kerwynn Williams is his pass receiving skill. Three affordable UFAs who could be dynamic in the offense are Rex Burkhead (Pats), Jerick McKinnon (Vikings) and Jamal Charles (Broncos).

In the draft, Soni Michel (Georgia) is the Alvin Kamara of this year's class, but he is going to be a top 40 pick. Three RBs to like in Round 3 are: Rashaad Penny (SD St.), Akrum Wadley (Iowa) and Royce Freeman (Oregon).

TE:

Already paying TE Jermaine Gresham over $7M a year, limits what the Cardinals can realistically spend in free agency, particularly in light of other needs. The UFA TE who would be a great fit is Trey Burton (Eagles), but he is likely to warrant $5-6M+ a year. Sportrac currently rates his market value at $7M per.

The hope is that Ricky Seals-Jones will build on his rookie performance and be a go-to receiver. But the Cardinals need to add another bona fide TE either through FA and/or the draft. The draft is deep in TEs this year with prospects Mark Andrews (Oklahoma), Hayden Hurst (South Carolina), Mike Gesicki (Penn St.), Dallas Goedert (S. Dak. St.), Dalton Schultz (Stanford) and Adam Breneman (Massachusetts).

Steve Keim could pull a rabbit out of his hat with HB/TE/FB Jaylen Samuels of his alma mater NC State.

Slot WR:

For years the Cardinals have been lacking at this position as the more diminutive WRs they drafted like John Brown and J.J. Nelson could not hold up physically inside. Larry Fitzgerald has been dynamic in this role, although he has been used the past few years more like a TE.

This a good year to draft a slot WR in the first 3-4 rounds. The ones that stand out are: Calvin Ridley (Alabama), Christian Kirk (Texas A&M), Anthony Miller (Memphis), D.J. Moore (Maryland), Keke Coutee (Texas Tech) and Dante Pettis (Washington). Antonio Callaway of Florida a potential stud, but has off the field issues.

C:

When you look at the success of the Eagles' and Patriots' offensive lines---it all starts at center with Jason Kelce (6-3, 295) and David Andrews (6-3, 295). Both Kelce and Andrews are athletic, smart and tenacious.

While A.Q. Shipley is a terrific, smart high-effort player, he lacks the requisite athleticism to be a standout in the middle. Evan Boehm is a strong anchor, but he has heavy feet. The wild card whom Steve Keim is going to have to pitch to Steve Wilks and Mike McCoy is Daniel Munyer, the most athletic of the three, but slightly undersized at 6-1, 305.

The best centers in the UFA market are Ryan Jensen (6-4, 310, Ravens) and Travis Swanson (Lions).

In the draft, Billy Price (Ohio St.) is a flat-out stud and worthy of a 1st round selection, imo. Chances are the Cardinals are not going to use their 1st round pick on a center, but others of note in this draft are Mason Cole (Michigan), Frank Ragnow (Arkansas), Will Clapp (LSU), Austin Corbett (Nevada), James Daniels (Iowa) and Bradley Bozeman (Alabama).

G:

A decision has to made about incumbent, oft-injured LG Mike iupati who carries a heft cap hit into this season. Steve Wilks and OLC Ray Brown have made it clear that they want to run the ball and a healthy Iupati would fit the bill, if he is willing to take a pay cut.

However, the prize UFA LG this year is Andrew Norwell, whom Wilks and Brown coached in Carolina. While he is going to command a salary close to $11-12M a year, he could be well worth the investment and the clear signal that turning the OL around is of top priority. Other notable UFA Gs are Justin Pugh (Giants), Jack Mewhort (Colts) and Josh Kline (Titans). 32 year old Matt Slausen (Chargers) is a C/G option coming off a torn bicep, but could well be a favorite of Mike McCoy's.

At RG, re-signing Alex Boone on a 1 or 2 year deal may make sense. Boone played hard for the Cardinals last year and seems to like playing in Arizona.

In the draft, if G/C Isaiah Wynn (Georgia) is available in Round 2, he could be a coup and start immediately at center or RG. Other top guard prospects are: Will Hernandez (UTEP), Taylor Hearn (Clemson), Skyler Phillips (Idaho), Sean Welsh (Iowa) and Braden Smith (Auburn).

T:

It appears that the Cardinals are in pretty good shape at tackle. D.J. Humphries returns to the lineup at LT and hopes to take his game to a higher level. At RT, Jared Veldheer rallied up big-time last season and would be worth keeping for the final year of his contract, perhaps if he is willing to take a small pay cut. Behind Humphries and Veldheer there is solid depth in John Wetzel and Will Holden.
Thx Mitch. As always, fabulous food for thought!

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RSJ better gain some weight if he's going to be a TE. Pretty slight frame.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good writeup even if I not agree on every point and I will try to comment on every point.

QB
I agree on the QB problem and kind of on the solution, I'm not sold that we should pay the price for Cousins or Foles even if I think both can be franchise QB in the right system and circumstances. They are both 29 years old and have about 5-9 good seasons left, that sounds great but on the other hand you need to invest heavy in them. Foles would be great if you can get him for a 2nd or lower (3rd and 5th or something like that) but overall after the AD "draftpick debacle" we don't have that much picks and losing even more doesn't help to refill our roster that lacks players with cheap contracts. And yes, a good draft with 2-4 contributors gives you at least 8 - 16 players on the cheap for your 53 man roster that helps you to spend the money elsewhere.

I would love if we could figure out a young QB that we can tailor a system around that brings him on a high level for 4 or even 5 years. Saving 10-20 millions a year the next 4-5 years would be a great way to put good talent around him and build up starters behind that talent.

RB
At RB we are pretty well set and if we cut AP (which for me till now is only a rumor), we need to draft one in the 3rd or later, but else we are pretty good. I could even see imagine a conversion of DJ from RB to WR, but that is at the moment not a priority maybe later or not at all. Else we should be good to go.

TE

I agree.

WR

I think we may have more than we think and need something totally different from what we think at the moment. I would agree to Splitsecond that we need more tall WR and outside WR, I would not pay what Jaron Brown will get. I'm not sure if Adugosi or Chad Williams can evolve, but both have the talent to be average to great WR, we will see how they perform in the second season. But we will need to draft at least one, WR and get a steal with an undrafted Rookie that matches what McCoy and the QB want to accomplish / can do best. Fitz can do it all, but he isn't a one man show anymore, he needs someone that helps him he can't go against double or triple coverage on regular base.

C

I would have loved if BA had tried Boehm on C but with how it is now, we need a C so I agree on this one, with a small expection that I don't see Corbett as a Center, Corbett for me is a RG. He played LT but breaking down film, he often is to low, to slow to seal the edge and not strong and fast enough to be a LT or LG, as RG he could be good but he has a steep learning curve and since he misses down field assignments and so on he will have to get better(his worst game was against the Irish, if you watch that game you will give him a 4th to 5th round rating or even worse but I think he will go maybe a bit higher the draft lacks good guard and). But overall the C depth this year is great, if we don't draft or pick one up this year I don't know what to do with our scouting department.

G

I agree that we need new guards or a rebirth of Iupati. Iupati (like Veldeheer) regressed so much under BA/Goodwin that I'm not sold on him being the problem, further I think that Boehm shouldn't be a Guard. The technique of our O-line and the footwork was on times so bad, that even some pro-style college O-line player had better fundamentals, so who knows, what a good O-line coach can bring to the table. I'm not sold on Norwell and I think throwing 11-12 Millions at him isn't the way to go for us now. We have already a hefty O-line with DJ, Valdeheer, Iupati taking big bucks, if you don't get that money down, you can't get another G on that price tag level. Furthermore Norwell does only make sense if you cut Iupati both are LG and I wouldn't cut Iupati with a balanced offense he is too valuable. So for me draft of sign the best RG and go from there. In the draft you need to spend a quite high pick since like I did mention before, the draft lacks Guards. Wynn, Hernandez and Corbett go maybe in the first 2 rounds and even Smith could go as high as a mid second rounder (about where we draft) Teller had such a bad year, that I don't know what to do with him, last year he was a late #1 early #2 round talent for me at RG (not at LG) but now I without knowing why he regressed that much, I wouldn't use a high pick on him. An intriguing steal could be Timon Parris, good technique good atlheticism big strong guy some stiffness and some bad second level blocking but overall a guy I could se play RG since he was injured he could slide to 5th or even 6th round if you get him there he could be a steal if he can make the transition else a backup and nonethless a good draft body in that round. Other guys to look at in later rounds are Malone and Gates.

T

I agrre here, we should be set, expect a trade of Valdeheer. Since I think this years draft class isn't deep at T Valdeheer could have a good price tag overall, so it would be very "wise" to cut ties now and look for a backup/armyknife in the draft, if you get more than a parting Valdeheer could bring you next year.

This draft for me is very atypical, the lack of G and T more C than normal (10-14 guys that are good enough that they would get drafted in other years and in average there are only drafted 6-7). About 20 QB that have a draft degree that is 8 more than drafted in a average year. Like many said a good year to need a QB at least you have some guys to choose from. RB os another spot where there are at least 30 guys with a draft degree (10 more than average) and even WR not being a top heavy draft is very deep (45 guys deep) FB is deep as well and TE too. So overall a bad draft to need a G or a T, great for anything else.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He was saying as a recieving TE, if he continues to make strides and gets the playing time. Blocking should improve with another strength and conditioning offseason

I don't buy the hype on this kid.He showed a little bit for a couple of games catching the ball.There is a lot more to be a effective .He might fill a role but anything else is wishful thinking.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so you think RSJ who can`t block his way out of a paper bag will be a impact TE? LMFAO.

That's going to depend upon how OC McCoy utilizes the TE position. Is it going to be as a blocker or as a option in the passing game?? Will we see a legit FB on the roster to handle some of the blocking duties?

Cards really minimized the use of the TE as a receiver . . . even after giving Gresham the big contract. Besides, anyone going forward who doesn't jump off-sides at the worst time possible is going to be an impact TE.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
QB:

Just to play devils advocate here, doesn't this go against your thread of drafting a QBOTF and sticking with him and the coach? I assume if you traded for Foles your not looking to draft a real QBOTF. Not to mention he wasn't even on the radar until the last few weeks (at best), this reminds me of the late risers in the draft. All I'm saying is be weary of the late riser.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson