Report: Saints seeking first round pick in trade for former head coach Sean Payton

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, but with context they had some historically bad defenses and injuries those years. Saints were still one of the most pitiful franchises before them.

Let's just wait for another good coach to come here (that actually wants to come here) at the right opportunity then we will totally win. Since we are the oldest team in the league, it's bound to happen any day now.

Yep, any day now. 1st round picks are rare, you almost never get them and they always turn out well.

Subtract our kicker, punter and snapper, and we aren't the oldest team in the league.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bienemy wouldn’t even take the interview here last time. The team is in even worse shape now with such a massive contract/question mark at QB.
Yeah, AZ is one of the least desirable places and it shows. M.B. better break open the vault if he wants to win. This is the best chance he's ever gunna get.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Not the #4 overall pick, but I'd give up next year's first and this year's second. You need an elite coach in a division with Shanahan, McVay, and even Carroll.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Not the #4 overall pick, but I'd give up next year's first and this year's second. You need an elite coach in a division with Shanahan, McVay, and even Carroll.
I totally agree you don’t give up the 4. Denver has no first or even a second. The competition would be Indy and Carolina, but what head coach wants to take a team with no first and no QB. So I don’t see the need to give up that #4 and It’s certainly looking like the Cards get pick 4. Even if a miracle happens and the Cards win, they can’t fall below 5. Indy takes one of the QBs, but several teams will duel to grab the next one, as he’s rated well above the 4th QB prospect. I think the Cards definitely move down (I see Carter & Anderson both gone) and acquire another 2 as part of the package. They could the give the Saints 2 second round picks this year (likely the Saints‘ demand). I think the Saints would settle for a second in 2023 & a second in 2024 if the Cards don’t panic. That 2023 pick would be strong considering the pool, giving 2 seconds in the 2023 pool is too much. Assume Carolina gets the Cards’ choice. The Cards would give the Saints pick 35 but get Pick 40 and 111. That’s a small overpay on most charts, but QB picks typically get that.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We can find a well-organised leader of men without giving up critical draft capital at this juncture. And, first and foremost, it's a competent, creative offensive coordinator aided by a similarly solid QB coach that will get the best out of KM.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
They could the give the Saints 2 second round picks this year (likely the Saints‘ demand). I think the Saints would settle for a second in 2023 & a second in 2024 if the Cards don’t panic.
thats a realistic ask given the circumstances

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree you don’t give up the 4. Denver has no first or even a second. The competition would be Indy and Carolina, but what head coach wants to take a team with no first and no QB. So I don’t see the need to give up that #4 and It’s certainly looking like the Cards get pick 4. Even if a miracle happens and the Cards win, they can’t fall below 5. Indy takes one of the QBs, but several teams will duel to grab the next one, as he’s rated well above the 4th QB prospect. I think the Cards definitely move down (I see Carter & Anderson both gone) and acquire another 2 as part of the package. They could the give the Saints 2 second round picks this year (likely the Saints‘ demand). I think the Saints would settle for a second in 2023 & a second in 2024 if the Cards don’t panic. That 2023 pick would be strong considering the pool, giving 2 seconds in the 2023 pool is too much. Assume Carolina gets the Cards’ choice. The Cards would give the Saints pick 35 but get Pick 40 and 111. That’s a small overpay on most charts, but QB picks typically get that.

Except you are negotiating the Payton compensation prior to final draft evaluations and an agreement in place for a trade-down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as an aside:

very curious if the league office brokers a reasonable settlement should it come to it.

#4 overall is too high. But as Quebec noted above: you have to agree to a deal months before the draft.

we know the league office stepped in and brokered a deal when Tampa hired Arians

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Bienemy wouldn’t even take the interview here last time. The team is in even worse shape now with such a massive contract/question mark at QB.
At this point, for some reason, there's enough going against Bienemy that I wouldn't want him in AZ. Needier teams have passed him over the years...there has to be a reason. He's gonna end up the offensive version of Ray Horton. Something with attitude or personality must be turning owners off during interviews...or a deep dark secret has been privately revealed during background checks.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
as an aside:

very curious if the league office brokers a reasonable settlement should it come to it.

#4 overall is too high. But as Quebec noted above: you have to agree to a deal months before the draft.

we know the league office stepped in and brokered a deal when Tampa hired Arians
The league didn't broker it. They just asked the teams to come to an agreement.. Tampa offered to swap their 6th for our 7th and Keim took it. Minimal compensation.

Our second is #34 overall as things stand. That and a late round pick should be enough. Miami lost their first round pick so there are only 31 first round ders this year.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Except you are negotiating the Payton compensation prior to final draft evaluations and an agreement in place for a trade-down.
Well assuming they wish to trade down I think there is little doubt they find a partner. Not sure what evals are concerning you. The QBs ha been studied enough that I’m certain the personnel guys have their order. Since it seems improbable one of the top 3 won’t be there, a trade option seems quite certain to me. As to the results of a trade I’m just speculating based on value charts and history.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another instance of Sean Payton bringing up the Cardinals again.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Edit: Doesnt bold well at the very end when talking about the size issues of Tua and Bryce Young.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well assuming they wish to trade down I think there is little doubt they find a partner. Not sure what evals are concerning you. The QBs ha been studied enough that I’m certain the personnel guys have their order. Since it seems improbable one of the top 3 won’t be there, a trade option seems quite certain to me. As to the results of a trade I’m just speculating based on value charts and history.

You're probably right. I can imagine a scenario where the threat of a team in the back half of the top 10 moving to #4 forces Indy to flip their #5 with the Cards, adding a late third or early 4th round pick to seal the deal. This way, the Cards protect their selection of an impact position player.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just as likely he skipped the interview because he didnt want to waste his time just checking the Rooney box.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What are the chances that we trade KM for Sean Payton +3rd rounder and start a rebuild with Sean Payton the HC - Team builder, what he somehow wanted to do back in NO but couldn't because of the GM and the missing picks?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Another instance of Sean Payton bringing up the Cardinals again.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Edit: Doesnt bold well at the very end when talking about the size issues of Tua and Bryce Young.
BIM : Bode

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What are the chances that we trade KM for Sean Payton +3rd rounder and start a rebuild with Sean Payton the HC - Team builder, what he somehow wanted to do back in NO but couldn't because of the GM and the missing picks?
Bump it to Payton and a 2nd and im in.
Draft a new kid to offset kylers dead money a little. Shore up the trenches with early picks.
Very doable... and it puts kyler within driving range of home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson