Report: Saints seeking first round pick in trade for former head coach Sean Payton

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually, if this is true I’d be okay with it if SK were still around since we’d draft another backup ILB or small WR bust in Round 1 anyway.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
He would be worth it if you had lots of picks, for instance a Houston or Seattle if they needed a head coach. What did Gruden cost the Bucs way back then? Wasn't it a lot more than just 1 R1 pick? I will check real fast: Two first-round picks; two second-round picks; $8 million

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the Saints will be picking just behind all of the QB needy teams and they need a QB. Our 1st pick to the Saints for Payton, their 1st, 2nd and 5th.

Houston will go 1 and pick Bryce Young, Chicago probably goes defense with Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, so the Saints can take Stroud at #3 because the Colts will take him at #5 if he is there.

We can go Myles Murphy or Kelee Ringo.

Deal?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He would be worth it if you had lots of picks, for instance a Houston or Seattle if they needed a head coach. What did Gruden cost the Bucs way back then? Wasn't it a lot more than just 1 R1 pick? I will check real fast: Two first-round picks; two second-round picks; $8 million
With Gruden, though, he was being taken away from a SuperBowl stacked roster for another SuperBowl stacked roster, that just couldn't get over the hump...he was the final piece.

Any team trying to get Payton is more than just 1 piece away and I think Payton can just wait another year, if needed, to avoid the penalty to the Saints. (Could be wrong on that...)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
With Gruden, though, he was being taken away from a SuperBowl stacked roster for another SuperBowl stacked roster, that just couldn't get over the hump...he was the final piece.

Any team trying to get Payton is more than just 1 piece away and I think Payton can just wait another year, if needed, to avoid the penalty to the Saints. (Could be wrong on that...)
2 years left on contract, so they’d have to wait 2. Somebody won’t wait. I posted they’d get 2 second round picks. I still think that’s the deal.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, the Saints will be picking just behind all of the QB needy teams and they need a QB. Our 1st pick to the Saints for Payton, their 1st, 2nd and 5th.

Houston will go 1 and pick Bryce Young, Chicago probably goes defense with Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, so the Saints can take Stroud at #3 because the Colts will take him at #5 if he is there.

Deal?

New Orleans first round pick goes to Philly.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nobody is giving them a #1 for him

BA got us a 7th I think basically both are retired for the moment so ... maybe someone is willing to part a 3rd round pick.

But that is all wooda coulda shoulda ... we need to wait what happens after the season ends

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Payton had 4 losing seasons with prime Drew Brees. He’s a good coach and clear upgrade but trading a 1st rd pick, even if it’s our 2024 pick is a non starter. If they offer a couple of 3rd’s that’s fine. If the Saints think they can do better than a couple day-2 picks for a 60 year-old retired coach then good on them.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Payton had 4 losing seasons with prime Drew Brees. He’s a good coach and clear upgrade but trading a 1st rd pick, even if it’s our 2024 pick is a non starter. If they offer a couple of 3rd’s that’s fine. If the Saints think they can do better than a couple day-2 picks for a 60 year-old retired coach then good on them.
Sure, but with context they had some historically bad defenses and injuries those years. Saints were still one of the most pitiful franchises before them.

Let's just wait for another good coach to come here (that actually wants to come here) at the right opportunity then we will totally win. Since we are the oldest team in the league, it's bound to happen any day now.

Yep, any day now. 1st round picks are rare, you almost never get them and they always turn out well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Deal?
That’s an interesting proposal. But I think we might be sweetening them pot, not them. But maybe not by much.