Reds-Rays-Diamondbacks pull three team trade

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh?? Sure... because Holmberg was our ticket to the championship, right? :mulli:

Right! Sometimes you got to see the forest, we saved big bucks to free up cash.

This deal should have other positive ramifications. Also addition by subtraction. It HAD to be done.

I'm not saying Holmberg was a star, but he was rated 6th in our system at the start of last season. Its yet another prospect Towers has pissed away. This guy inhiereted a bounty of minor league system when he took the job and he is slowly dismantling it with virtually zero return.

And yes, it "had to be done"... to erase a freaking idiot move that Towers made a year ago. Bell should never have been on this team in the first place, and now to merely get rid of him its costs us even more. I dont get how people can defend this garbage.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not saying Holmberg was a star, but he was rated 6th in our system at the start of last season. Its yet another prospect Towers has pissed away. This guy inhiereted a bounty of minor league system when he took the job and he is slowly dismantling it with virtually zero return.

And yes, it "had to be done"... to erase a freaking idiot move that Towers made a year ago. Bell should never have been on this team in the first place, and now to merely get rid of him its costs us even more. I dont get how people can defend this garbage.

Your bias is outstanding... I really don't care that Holmberg was the 6th ranked pitcher in our system. He sucks. He can't throw harder than 88 MPH. To give him up, plus a 1/2 million to get rid of Bell and free up $5.5 million is an incredible deal. I'm still having a hard time understanding why Tampa agreed to this. But they did and I couldn't be any happier...
Yea - Towers struck out with Bell in bringing him to Arizona. But he's now gone for a pittance. Great move. Deal with it...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your bias is outstanding... I really don't care that Holmberg was the 6th ranked pitcher in our system. He sucks. He can't throw harder than 88 MPH. To give him up, plus a 1/2 million to get rid of Bell and free up $5.5 million is an incredible deal. I'm still having a hard time understanding why Tampa agreed to this. But they did and I couldn't be any happier...
Yea - Towers struck out with Bell in bringing him to Arizona. But he's now gone for a pittance. Great move. Deal with it...

I'd rather have a GM that recognizes a mistake and works to fix it than one that stubbornly stands by his mistake.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd rather have a GM that recognizes a mistake and works to fix it than one that stubbornly stands by his mistake.

Ditto... The whacky KT-hate is so over the top and unfounded. Good for him for somehow, some way making a deal like this. As for Tampa... uh, good luck! :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto... The whacky KT-hate is so over the top and unfounded. Good for him for somehow, some way making a deal like this. As for Tampa... uh, good luck! :D

Can't please some people.

KT listened to us arm-chair GM's and dumped Bell, and people are still pissing and moaning.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Can't please some people.

KT listened to us arm-chair GM's and dumped Bell, and people are still pissing and moaning.

Pissing and moaning because we coughed up a 22 year-old marginal at-best pitcher who's body resembles Babe Ruth and who can't throw a ball faster than 88 mph. Really??

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some things that I've bagged him for... they're debatable. I dont get how any of you can applaud this one. Seriously, he just pissed away another prospect as a result of an already astoundingly stupid move he made a year ago and you're saying "great move, needed to be done". Its just amazing. A top 10 prospect in the organization given away as part of a salary dump... relieving KT of a player that was a shockingly stupid acquisition in the first place.

His idiocy as a GM is indefensible. Overpays for bad players, has to pay even more to rid himself of them later and people somehow translate that as a sound decision making. Unreal.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They traded the next Babe Ruth???

Oh yea... Just wait - by the time he's done, KT will have given away not only the next Babe Ruth, but also the next Sandy Koufax and Steve Carlton, as well as the next Mariano Rivera! He's special that way!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Some things that I've bagged him for... they're debatable. I dont get how any of you can applaud this one. Seriously, he just pissed away another prospect as a result of an already astoundingly stupid move he made a year ago and you're saying "great move, needed to be done". Its just amazing. A top 10 prospect in the organization given away as part of a salary dump... relieving KT of a player that was a shockingly stupid acquisition in the first place.

His idiocy as a GM is indefensible. Overpays for bad players, has to pay even more to rid himself of them later and people somehow translate that as a sound decision making. Unreal.

Don't have the time to debate this any further. We have $5.5 million more than we had yesterday. KT was quoted TODAY as saying it will be spent and then some in a variety of ways. He specifically mentioned a #1 or #2 starter, as well as a power hitting corner outfielder.
He missed with Bell last year. If you expect him to be perfect, you must have thought his real job was playing God...
Now, go back to sticking pins in your little kT voo-doo doll...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't have the time to debate this any further. We have $5.5 million more than we had yesterday. KT was quoted TODAY as saying it will be spent and then some in a variety of ways. He specifically mentioned a #1 or #2 starter, as well as a power hitting corner outfielder.
He missed with Bell last year. If you expect him to be perfect, you must have thought his real job was playing God...

What's the point when Towers will use that money on another OF or something this team doesn't need and in a year he'll have to trade off another prospect to fix it. The contract he should be trying to get rid of was Trevor Cahill and his monstrosity of a contract that runs longer than next year which he is responsible for.

Towers really needs to go.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I dont expect him to be perfect, but so far he has been absolutely abysmal. What positives we have on the roster are mostly guys he inherited, his moves have ballooned the payroll, diminished our farm system and yielded no tangible results. I cant applaud him for freeing up 5.5 million when he had to blow yet another asset just to wipe out one of his many expensive mistakes.

And I'm not surprised KT was on the radio telling everyone what he wants. He seems to love negotiating with all his cards on the table. Hearing him crow for a power hitting corner outfielder is especially sad. He had one, dumped him, blew a ton of money on Ross and Kubel, both moves were horrible, now he is looking to either blow more money signing one or waste more prospects trading for one. And knowing KT he will end up having to dump that new outfielder in a year because he was either too expensive or just flat out awful.

I really dont get how some of you either cant see or chose to ignore KT's cycle of idiocy.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having to give away ranked prospects in order to ship off disastrous contracts that everybody knew were disastrous before he took them on is not the hallmark of an average GM let alone a good one.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Having to give away ranked prospects in order to ship off disastrous contracts that everybody knew were disastrous before he took them on is not the hallmark of an average GM let alone a good one.

Bingo.

Once we find out who the PTBNL is, I'll be able to give a concrete opinion. If this deal lands them Todd Glaesmann, Drew Vettleson or Pat Leonard or a similar projectable bat (Richie Shaffer is my pipe dream), I'll be extremely happy. However, it the PTBNL is a throwaway prospect and this was purely done to dump Bell's salary, sorry but I can't get behind it. No matter how much you think Holmberg "sucks," trading a top ten prospect just for the sake of admitting you made a mistake and finding a "dummy" to unload said mistake on is beyond questionable.

In the interim, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
$5.5 million is nice but what does that money get spent on? You mention a power bat and a possible #1-#2 pitcher but I ask who?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
$5.5 million is nice but what does that money get spent on? You mention a power bat and a possible #1-#2 pitcher but I ask who?

$5.5 million won't get you a #1 or #2, or a power corner outfielder. But having the $5.5 million will help the cause. Would you prefer we didn't have the extra cash and stayed with Bell?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

You write in the plural? What other "disastrous" contracts has KT had to ship off while giving away ranker prospects??
And, one could argue that while Bell was a failure, his contract was not "disastrous" but rather, in line with what a tenured reliever would get... $6 million per for a tenured reliever is not "disastrous"...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Bingo.

Once we find out who the PTBNL is, I'll be able to give a concrete opinion. If this deal lands them Todd Glaesmann, Drew Vettleson or Pat Leonard or a similar projectable bat (Richie Shaffer is my pipe dream), I'll be extremely happy. However, it the PTBNL is a throwaway prospect and this was purely done to dump Bell's salary, sorry but I can't get behind it. No matter how much you think Holmberg "sucks," trading a top ten prospect just for the sake of admitting you made a mistake and finding a "dummy" to unload said mistake on is beyond questionable.

In the interim, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

So it really does sounds as if you would've preferred the Dbacks to have held into Bell... Interesting...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I dont expect him to be perfect, but so far he has been absolutely abysmal. What positives we have on the roster are mostly guys he inherited, his moves have ballooned the payroll, diminished our farm system and yielded no tangible results. I cant applaud him for freeing up 5.5 million when he had to blow yet another asset just to wipe out one of his many expensive mistakes.

And I'm not surprised KT was on the radio telling everyone what he wants. He seems to love negotiating with all his cards on the table. Hearing him crow for a power hitting corner outfielder is especially sad. He had one, dumped him, blew a ton of money on Ross and Kubel, both moves were horrible, now he is looking to either blow more money signing one or waste more prospects trading for one. And knowing KT he will end up having to dump that new outfielder in a year because he was either too expensive or just flat out awful.

I really dont get how some of you either cant see or chose to ignore KT's cycle of idiocy.

I'm sorry... I'm laughing as I just can't get the visual of you angrily sticking pins into your KT doll as I read your rants... :)

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
So it really does sounds as if you would've preferred the Dbacks to have held into Bell... Interesting...

I'm not a fan of addition by subtraction trades when a valuable commodity is moved as part of the deal. I was perfectly fine with the deal which landed Bell here in the first place and by no means against trading him by a long shot. To be honest, I was in FAVOR of it. However, what I am against is trading a top ten prospect as a means to save $5.5 million dollars. You have established that you think Holmberg "sucks." That doesn't mean he lacks talent, other than in your view, or that he isn't a commodity that could have been used in a trade for something more. However perhaps this deal IS going to land something more. Like I alluded to in my previous post, I won't fully cast judgement on the deal until we find out who the Player to Be Named is. I am a little intrigued by Justin Choate however. We'll see.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of addition by subtraction trades when a valuable commodity is moved as part of the deal. I was perfectly fine with the deal which landed Bell here in the first place and by no means against trading him by a long shot. To be honest, I was in FAVOR of it. However, what I am against is trading a top ten prospect as a means to save $5.5 million dollars. You have established that you think Holmberg "sucks." That doesn't mean he lacks talent, other than in your view, or that he isn't a commodity that could have been used in a trade for something more. However perhaps this deal IS going to land something more. Like I alluded to in my previous post, I won't fully cast judgement on the deal until we find out who the Player to Be Named is. I am a little intrigued by Justin Choate however. We'll see.

Holmberg is NOT a "valuable commodity", regardless of what/where he was ranked in our system. So yes, I am totally fine with this trade.
I am also fine (and I believe this also infuriates the haters) with the fact that KT had the gumption to make this trade. He brought Bell here. He really, really, really respects Bell and in fact, many who know them claim that KT just traded away a "friend". I am comforted to see that KT was willing to put friendship aside and make the tough call...
And lastly, as is the vast majority of deals such as this, the true assessment won't be able to be made for some time down the road. When Holmberg proves to be a fat, out of shape, spaghetti-armed loaf, we gain some clarity on Choate and the PTBNL, and we see how this additional $5.5 million is used, we'll be able to better assess this deal...