Reddick

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blame SK or defend him...

What I think we're seeing is a GM drafting to fit one system (BA's) only to find that the system has changed, and in many instances, he has the wrong fit of player to role.

I'm inclined to give SK the benefit of the doubt, but the obstacles created by the change in systems may be too much to overcome. Time will tell.

And PS - the various counter-arguments on this board to my defense of Riddick were pretty spot-on. I guess it's my bias toward not blowing our investment on talented underachievers by giving up on them too early.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My biggest issue is that I don't see Keim evolving as a drafter.

He makes a mistake drafting a late rising S in the first round who didn't project to that position in the NFL and then sees him moved to LB.

A couple years later he makes a mistake of drafting a late rising DE in the first round who didn't project to that position in the NFL and ended up being moved to LB.

He took a limited, two down thumping ILB in the second only to see him fail to make an impact because he was a limited player.

A couple years later he takes a limited, slot WR in the second round who will unlikely make an impact in his rookie year because he is a limited player who can't play at other spots.

He took a OT in round 1 who struggled to stay healthy in college, and now unsurprisingly has struggled to stay healthy in the NFL.

2 years later he takes a DT in round 1 who struggled with motor and commitment in college, and now unsurprisingly has struggled with consistency in the NFL.

Individually, these moves are not all BAD moves. Some were worth the risk or the need. But you can't consistently take these types of players in the high rounds of the draft and cry wolf when they don't pan out. All 6 of these drafted players had clear issues that highlighted them as potentially bad draft picks, and Keim has consistently ignored those over his career as a GM.
I know you don’t like the pick, but it’s way too early to judge it under any circumstance despite showing traits as to why he was drafted where he was.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim showed up in eye glasses after his suspension. I now believe he has evolved and is more intelligent than he was last month. [emoji12]

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He was a raw project and that was well known they even said it over and over on draft night. If you thought he was a plug and play LT that's your fault for not doing your homework.
I guess you’re happy getting some 18 starts in three seasons from a first round pick. Maybe I just have higher expectations.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you’re happy getting some 18 starts in three seasons from a first round pick. Maybe I just have higher expectations.

Is it ideal? No

But I'm realistic in looking at it. He was a project that was drafted in the mid-late 20s.

Let's not act like this was a top 5 blue chip pick

Did he choose to have his knee rolled up on him from behind in his second year? No. You can't control stuff like that. No that's just bad luck.

Let it play out

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know you don’t like the pick, but it’s way too early to judge it under any circumstance despite showing traits as to why he was drafted where he was.
I don't like the pick, true, and I am honest when I say that my dislike for it doesn't mean it was a bad pick. My point is that Keim consistently makes these questionable draft decisions. The Kirk pick isn't bad, but his ability to make an impact is limited even without Fitzgerald on the roster. Limited slot WRs have a place in this league, but I don't love drafting one in round 2, especially when he is blocked by a Hall of Famer. It is the same as the Kevin Minter pick. A two down, thumper at ILB has a place in this league, but when you take him in the second round, it has a bigger impact to the roster when he doesn't evolve into something more.

I hope folks don't confuse my criticism of Keim with my belief that he is probably a league average GM. I just don't believe he can be anything more than that unless he really changes how he uses valuable draft assets. Every year I just seem the same mistakes being made.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it ideal? No

But I'm realistic in looking at it. He was a project that was drafted in the mid-late 20s.

Let's not act like this was a top 5 blue chip pick

Did he choose to have his knee rolled up on him from behind in his second year? No. You can't control stuff like that. No that's just bad luck.

Let it play out
But the issue is that he didn't learn from Bucannon. Also, taking a risk on a guy who plays a premium position like he did with Humphries is a more acceptable risk than taking a guy like Reddick. The payoff is just less.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the issue is that he didn't learn from Bucannon. Also, taking a risk on a guy who plays a premium position like he did with Humphries is a more acceptable risk than taking a guy like Reddick. The payoff is just less.

What was to learn from Bucannon? Buc was a monster SS who could do it all his production in college was insane. He gets here Los leaves and Washington gets suspended and BA goes to Buc and says hey can you gain 25 lbs and play linebacker?

They shouldn't of done that to him. That's on BA.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Was it not his fault his rookie year that he was so godawful that he didn’t dress for a single game? He’s healthy NOW, but his last two seasons (the two where he wasn’t a healthy scratch for 16 games) ended on IR. He was a constant injury case as a collegian.

Very early to be taking a victory lap on DJ Humphries, especially considering the last time we saw him he was getting put in a dress.

Bingo.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The beginning of the end folks. This is looking like the inevitable. For Reddick's failure I will blame Arians not Keim since Arians might be the one who may have said to Keim, give me this Temple kid in first round.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The beginning of the end folks. This is looking like the inevitable. For Reddick's failure I will blame Arians not Keim since Arians might be the one who may have said to Keim, give me this Temple kid in first round.

**** about blaming Arians. Everything about Reddick screams that he was a Keim-type prospect. Especially with Arians time winding down and Keim needing to set the table for the next phase of the Cards.

If Reddick busts out, it'll be because he didn't have the football IQ to make the transition. And that's partially on the scouts—including Keim—who elevated a projection to this level.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
He performed well at the senior bowl. Keim seems to only scout at the senior bowl.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I mentioned this in another thread and told I was crazy for it.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
**** about blaming Arians. Everything about Reddick screams that he was a Keim-type prospect. Especially with Arians time winding down and Keim needing to set the table for the next phase of the Cards.

If Reddick busts out, it'll be because he didn't have the football IQ to make the transition. And that's partially on the scouts—including Keim—who elevated a projection to this level.

I will concede that Keim likely made the call. There is also a non-zero chance that Arians pushed for it. Ultimately as a GM, this will go on Keim's record as it should.

For the record, despite his draft whiffs, I think Keim is a good GM and things are starting to get away from him.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Exactly. Though this is nothing more than my opinion, I really believe Arians was all over Mahomes. There were so many quotes post draft suggesting had we nabbed one of the quarterbacks, BA would’ve stuck around.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I highly doubt that the Cards will play 2 LBs the entire game. Reddick will be on the field when they are not in nickel. How is that the beginning of the end?

Reddick is listed at the starting SLB

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I highly doubt that the Cards will play 2 LBs the entire game. Reddick will be on the field when they are not in nickel. How is that the beginning of the end?

When a team's 13th overall pick is going to play 35% of the snaps in game 1 of year 2, the end is inevitable.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He also said it’s “clear” Christian Kirk’s ceiling is Eric Decker after the 3rd preseason game of his career.

I also think Rosen is the real deal and Keim is a good GM and questioned why Cards didn't trade for Dan Bailey etc etc. :trout:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't blame me, I voted for Malik Hooker.

So, frustrating.

That was my guy. Could you imagine him and Peterson back there.

Still I was happy with the Reddick/Baker picks. Looks like Baker will pan out

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I don’t like these wild projects. Even if they pan out after 2- 3 years of seasoning and extensive time and attention, they might soon be off to another team in free agency

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard