Recruiting

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug Haller ✔ @DougHaller ASU expected to have 4 of ESPN's Top 25 JUCO recruits:
8 Dalvon Stuckey DT
23 Eric Lauderdale, WR
24 Kweishi Brown, CB
25 Edmond Boateng, DE
Retweeted by Sun Devil Football

Love it.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Have any players flipped away from ASU in the last two days?

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Have any players flipped away from ASU in the last two days?

As far as I know none have yet. I am hearing Jordan Thomas was asked to grey shirt as Caldwell took his spot. Last spot being held for Kalen Ballage. He is announcing tomorrow instead of today, as schools are closed due to snow in the Colorado Springs area.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess it's public knowledge now. Nick Alexander wasn't going to qualify and will be going to Arizona Western next year.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like we are bringing in 6 talented JuCo players, I think that will really help us fill some holes in light of the large number of departures from last year's team. But I am sure the U of A folks will complain about that for some reason.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Looks like we are bringing in 6 talented JuCo players, I think that will really help us fill some holes in light of the large number of departures from last year's team. But I am sure the U of A folks will complain about that for some reason.
Why would smart UofA fans complain about ASU bringing in junior college players? Anyone who follows college sports would take a highly rated high school kid over a junior college kid on any day of the week. Elite programs are overwhelmingly made up of 4/5* high school recruits. Schools that recruit a lot of JUCO's have the same ceiling as Kansas State.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would smart UofA fans complain about ASU bringing in junior college players? Anyone who follows college sports would take a highly rated high school kid over a junior college kid on any day of the week. Elite programs are overwhelmingly made up of 4/5* high school recruits. Schools that recruit a lot of JUCO's have the same ceiling as Kansas State.

Times have changed. Every SEC program takes a couple a year. ASU hasn't taken an overwhelming amount in any class.

There aren't any 5-year rebuilding programs anymore. You have two or three years or you're cooked.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Times have changed. Every SEC program takes a couple a year. ASU hasn't taken an overwhelming amount in any class.

There aren't any 5-year rebuilding programs anymore. You have two or three years or you're cooked.
The latter comment might be the case at ASU and their unrealistic fanbase but is certainly not the case at every program. A "couple a year" only reaffirms my point that elite programs build their teams around high school kids. 10-15% of a class is just filling gaps.

And for the record I felt Rodriguez too way too many JUCO's this year. Their hit rate is way too low for their limited upside. If you're that good and your grades suck more often than not you'll find someone to take you out of high school.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latter comment might be the case at ASU and their unrealistic fanbase but is certainly not the case at every program. A "couple a year" only reaffirms my point that elite programs build their teams around high school kids. 10-15% of a class is just filling gaps.

And for the record I felt Rodriguez too way too many JUCO's this year. Their hit rate is way too low for their limited upside. If you're that good and your grades suck more often than not you'll find someone to take you out of high school.

Alabama used to never take JCs. They are now regular players on the JC circuit. South Carolina is just about there now, and they've been taking JCs the whole time. Oklahoma takes a lot of JCs.

Elite programs recruit elite preps. That's obvious. Becoming elite is a less obvious and more diverse path. You can't get there if you write off an entire talent base because of programmatic bias. Not anymore. You simply have to be better at evaluation than your peers -- at prep or JC level. There's no substitute.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Alabama used to never take JCs. They are now regular players on the JC circuit. South Carolina is just about there now, and they've been taking JCs the whole time. Oklahoma takes a lot of JCs.

Elite programs recruit elite preps. That's obvious. Becoming elite is a less obvious and more diverse path. You can't get there if you write off an entire talent base because of programmatic bias. Not anymore. You simply have to be better at evaluation than your peers -- at prep or JC level. There's no substitute.
Best programs in the West were Carroll USC, then Chip Kelly Oregon, now Shaw Stanford. All rarely if ever recruited JUCO's.

Comparing SEC to Pac recruiting is apples to oranges. Systems and programs win in the West.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ericksons classes were progressively getting worse and worse as his tenure wore on. The highly ranked players he did land often didn't develop, suffered injuries or were block heads. Its obvious Graham has had to hit the JC route, perhaps a bit more than ideal, in order to fill the gaps and win now. Its a gambling strategy, but one that seems to be paying off. Graham has won in his 1st two years, and now ASU looks like they'll finish with a Top 20 overall class and the #1 class in the conference...not too shabby.

It would've been nice to get more of the home grown guys, as I dont think recruiting nationally is as sustainable. It also would've been nice to get some more beef on the O-line. All in all though, this class is at worst an A-, and potentially the kind of class that Rose Bowl teams are made of.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best programs in the West were Carroll USC, then Chip Kelly Oregon, now Shaw Stanford. All rarely if ever recruited JUCO's.

Comparing SEC to Pac recruiting is apples to oranges. Systems and programs win in the West.

All three of those programs have advantages neither ASU nor UA will ever have.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

1) why are you worried about what we think?

2) I'd rather get a 3-star player out of high school and groom him for a season or two than rely solely on high rank Juco players, whom are expected to contribute immediately and sometimes come into programs with baggage, which hindered their ability to get into a 4-year program out of high school (I worked with one of the top JuCo teams in the nation a few years ago). this is something that Utah has been guilty of for a while.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Cam Newton a JuCo transfer?

At least four JC transfers became No. 1 overall picks (Cam Newton, Keyshawn Johnson, O.J. Simpson and Ron Yary), and five 2013 first-rounders were JC guys: Minnesota's Cordarrelle Patterson, Carolina's Star Lotulelei, Chicago's Kyle Long, Denver's Sylvester Williams and the New York Jets' Sheldon Richardson. Some other JC transfers who made their presence felt in the NFL include Corey Dillon, Cortez Kennedy, Aaron Rodgers and Roger Staubach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...keyshawn-johnson-juco-transfers-to-no-1-picks

Times are changing

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2) I'd rather get a 3-star player out of high school and groom him for a season or two than rely solely on high rank Juco players, whom are expected to contribute immediately and sometimes come into programs with baggage, which hindered their ability to get into a 4-year program out of high school (I worked with one of the top JuCo teams in the nation a few years ago). this is something that Utah has been guilty of for a while.

Like Johnny Manziel who was a three star? Oh wait, he only played two years like most JuCo's will. :D

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1) I am not worried about what you all think, I was just anticipating that you all would bring it up and, sure enough--here we are.

2) Well, we have 20 or so high school commits. We are not relying "solely" on high ranked juco players as you suggest. And I am not aware of any baggage with these guys at this point.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Wasn't Cam Newton a JuCo transfer?
Yes, because he got kicked off Florida. That's a common theme with many juco's, the other is that they weren't smart enough to achieve the bare bones requirements to get into a university out of high school so they won't exactly be model students.

Listen, there's nothing inherently wrong with recruiting junior college players. Some of them will go to the NFL or fill a gap where needed or be good citizens and students. Just saying I'd rather have HS kids than JC kids any day of the week.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Like Johnny Manziel who was a three star? Oh wait, he only played two years like most JuCo's will. :D

Not an accurate example. He redshirted his first year, then played in two. That redshirt year is instrumental for true freshmen QBs to get acclimated to the team's style of offense and overall speed of NCAA ball before being thrown to the wolves.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an accurate example. He redshirted his first year, then played in two. That redshirt year is instrumental for true freshmen QBs to get acclimated to the team's style of offense and overall speed of NCAA ball before being thrown to the wolves.

I know, that why I put the smiley.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Listen, there's nothing inherently wrong with recruiting junior college players. Some of them will go to the NFL or fill a gap where needed or be good citizens and students. Just saying I'd rather have HS kids than JC kids any day of the week.

I will take the best available players regardless of their past (JuCo or High School). It just doesn't work for me to call a player bad or a program bad because they recruit kids from junior college. I believe this is Graham's strategy as well, take the best football players (not pick them based where they are from, where they went to school, how they speak, what they wear or any other preconceived notions).

Kids end up in junior college for a variety of reasons and to say that you cannot be successful with them is just judging people (most 18-20 years old) for their past problems. I would say that is judgmental at the least to self-righteous at the worst. As mentioned earlier Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Cordarelle Patterson, Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, and local recruits Marion Grice/Jaelen Strong went to junior college and have all turned out to be successful. IMO one of the coolest thing about America is most people are willing to give others a second chance.