Reassessing Murray.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now that the luster of Sunday victory has subsided has anyone have thought about Murray’s performance?

I looked at his performance as very good…for his first game back.
I also think he will need to get better than he was.

I also think the play calling changed a bit more than I was hoping for. It was more back to finesse than bloody your nose running game. Not blaming Kyler for this. If Kyler gets sacked on that incredible run we’d probably be talking about a loss and a game with less than 100 yards rushing. The play calling seemed to put more on Kyler’s shoulders and I don’t like that idea.

I’m not worried about the batted passes. In fact one batted pass saved an almost sure pick.

His accuracy needs to improve. Over thrown pass to Brown was a TD. McBride saved Kyler from a severely under thrown pass.

He also seems jittery in the pocket. It has always kind of been one of his traits.

This week will really be interesting. Hopefully we see incremental
improvement. I’m not unhappy with his game Sunday but I do think he needs to get better.

What do you guys think?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think we didn't need a new thread for your take. Plenty of others to add to.

Why dilute our conversations into multiple threads?

We now have 3 threads on McBride.

Now get off my lawn! :)

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we didn't need a new thread for your take. Plenty of others to add to.

Why dilute our conversations into multiple threads?

We now have 3 threads on McBride.

Now get off my lawn! :)
I looking strictly for the mindset of everyone after we had a couple of days of a rare victory.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought he looked very good. Better than I expected. I agree with you on the run game but I believe that was due to Conner not being 100%. Ingram has nothing so he was no help. The long pass to Brown was close. He had a lot of zip on his throws and looked very confident. This week will tell us more.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He actually looked better than I expected. Sure he was a little rusty on a few of his throws but that will hopefully get better with the coming weeks. He was making throws Dobbs could come close to completing. I don't think he will ever get rid of the jittery part of his game. He actually seemed a litter quicker running than before if that is possible. Overall I was very happy with his performance.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Despite the mistakes that everyone has mentioned, I thought he looked really good.. Well prepared, not scared...

But, it's only ONE game. I gotta give it a bit more.
Agree completely with this. Happy with his game, accepting that he would make some mistakes, and looking for him to improve as the remainder of the season unfolds.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The thing that I liked most?
It was obvious Kyler has been studying the offense. He made good reads, called a couple audibles, found his hot read a couple times. He looked every bit the starting NFL QB....and if Im being honest he didnt really look like it was his first ever game in not just a new system...but his first NFL offense.
It looks like the kid used his time off wisely.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The one time he was under center he threw the pick if I remember correctly? So there's that lol. It may just be that he's most effective in shotgun & there's no getting around that. I can tell you this much, he looked better in shotgun with Petzing calling plays than coach bro. There's still time to get comfortable under center though, time will tell.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The one time he was under center he threw the pick if I remember correctly? So there's that lol. It may just be that he's most effective in shotgun & there's no getting around that. I can tell you this much, he looked better in shotgun with Petzing calling plays than coach bro. There's still time to get comfortable under center though, time will tell.
Play action is too beneficial pass up - especially with our O-line problems and especially with McBride coming on strong

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Our line is a mess right now, shotgun is probably the best option for now. Eventually in the Petzing offense I'm assuming he will be under center a whole lot more.
I'll take the misdirection over the 6 feet of space all day - especially if the running game is going strong

Shotgun has it's upsides - same for play action - but doing both is what's going to keep defenses honest

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was very impressed with his performance. I was not expecting for him to have anywhere near the mobility he had after a year off. I thought he made quick decisions with the ball and that alone was a night and day difference from what Dobbs/Tune were able to do. He actually looked like one of the better QBs in the league with the poise, accuracy and decision process. To put it in context of having been through ACL, not being on the field for a year, having to read all of the news clippings of the Cardinals taking a QB next year was a monumental effort. It looks like he worked his butt off during his rehab and he deserves his due. I'm not a Kyler fan boy by any means, but I was a fan on Sunday for making our football team look respectable and I didn't have the impending doom feeling in the 4th quarter. Sign me up for more games like this!

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He played well for a comeback game, but the next games will show us, who Kyler Murray really is. Is he our QB or is he just another flashy QB that fades away... the jury is still out, but he helped to win and wasn't the reason we lost, so he has that going.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
First time at game speed in nearly a year so any of the timing/accuracy issues should improve as the rust is shaken off. In addition to some of the other things mentioned, two small things that seem to indicate a new attitude and level of maturity. On the INT, KM was on the sideline to throw his body in there to make the tackle. Maybe the long layoff is just taking my memory but that does not feel like an effort that might have come in the past. And on the scramble on the final drive he was hell bent on getting to the line to gain and instead of a slide it was more of a dive forward. I could be reading too much into it, but just came away that there was more of a do whatever it takes at all costs type leadership that you would want to see if you want him to be your guy.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Our line is a mess right now, shotgun is probably the best option for now. Eventually in the Petzing offense I'm assuming he will be under center a whole lot more.
Under center will continue to be around 35%...That's where it's been...much better than the 4% with Kliff.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Overall he played above my expectations considering he has been out for a year and it is a new system.

My only concern really is his deep ball accuracy. That was a problem before the injury for a significant number of games as well. Kyler has the potential to be a nightmare for any defense if he can improve that aspect.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Overall he played above my expectations considering he has been out for a year and it is a new system.

My only concern really is his deep ball accuracy. That was a problem before the injury for a significant number of games as well. Kyler has the potential to be a nightmare for any defense if he can improve that aspect.

That one throw was really the difference between a good game and a great game. If he throws a catchable ball to Hollywood right there, everybody would a lot more excited.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Did we have any wasted timeouts or delay of game? A few are to be expected but it was habitual under Kingsbury.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson