Reacher (TV series reboot)(Amazon Prime)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Too short' Tom Cruise to be replaced for Jack Reacher reboot

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46207601

Action hero Jack Reacher is to get a reboot for the small screen with a new actor in the lead role after creator Lee Child admitted Tom Cruise, who played him in two films, is too short.

In Child's books, Reacher is described as 6ft 5in tall with hands the size of dinner plates. Cruise is 5ft 7in.

"Cruise, for all his talent, didn't have that physicality," Child told BBC Radio Manchester's Mike Sweeney.

The author said a deal was signed last week to make a new streaming show.

Readers had complained about Cruise's suitability to play the imposing former major in the US military police since his casting was announced in 2011.

"I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He's a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun," Child told the station.

"But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it's a big component of who he is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He may be right, but I wonder if the Reacher movies (especially the first one) would have made as much money, or even been made in the first place, had Tom Cruise not been in them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may be right, but I wonder if the Reacher movies (especially the first one) would have made as much money, or even been made in the first place, had Tom Cruise not been in them.

That's s big no. In fact, unless they can get a big name actor with that size and the acting chops to play the part...my guess is the reboot will fail to draw a huge audience.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's s big no. In fact, unless they can get a big name actor with that size and the acting chops to play the part...my guess is the reboot will fail to draw a huge audience.

It's an Amazon TV series, so it doesn't at all have to be a big name. It just needs the rest of what you mentioned.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an Amazon TV series, so it doesn't at all have to be a big name. It just needs the rest of what you mentioned.

Yeah....I didn't read that very well. Still...I think the show has a better shot with someone they recognize in a lead role. Not completely necessary but it definitely improves the odds.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'll watch

LOL

There were quite a few scenes in that trailer that Tom Cruise could NEVER get away with. Especially the one where Jack had to be in zip ties since cuffs wouldn't fit on him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It’s the guy who played Aquaman in Smallville. Awful awful actor. Hope he’s improved.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

There were quite a few scenes in that trailer that Tom Cruise could NEVER get away with. Especially the one where Jack had to be in zip ties since cuffs wouldn't fit on him.
At least Tom can act. This is the same guy who went from playing Aquaman to just finishing his character arc on Titans playing Hawk. Alan Ritchson isn't a great actor. Every line he delivers sounds overacted or cheesy. I have little hope for this show.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
At least Tom can act. This is the same guy who went from playing Aquaman to just finishing his character arc on Titans playing Hawk. Alan Ritchson isn't a great actor. Every line he delivers sounds overacted or cheesy. I have little hope for this show.

I honestly don't remember him as Aquaman and from what I read, that was his first gig ever, so I'd give him a pass for that.

And I would think he's been generally typecast due to his size.

As far as Titans go, I also wouldn't hold that against him, as that shows writers are BAD, hence why I stopped watching after last season.

In this show, he's not going to be playing Hamlet, so I'll wait to judge him after I've watched the show.

I haven't read the Reacher books, but from the background of the character I've read, his sheer size is a huge (no pun) part of his identity and characterization. And nothing against Tom, there is just no way he can pull that off.

Other actors that would come close size-wise, with the acting chops guaranteed up front would be too expensive and are already under the Marvel and/or DC payrolls.

EDIT: I said the last part completely forgetting that Ritchson was just on the DC payroll. But like I said, Titans' writing was BAD. There were no actors that looked good in that show because of the horrendous writing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember him as Aquaman and from what I read, that was his first gig ever, so I'd give him a pass for that.

As far as Titans go, I also wouldn't hold that against him, as that shows writers are BAD, hence why I stopped watching after last season.

In this show, he's not going to be playing Hamlet, so I'll wait to judge him after I've watched the show.

I haven't read the Reacher books, but from the background of the character I've read, his sheer size is a huge (no pun) part of his identity and characterization. And nothing against Tom, there is just no way he can pull that off.

Other actors that would come close size-wise, with the acting chops guaranteed up front would be too expensive and are already under the Marvel and/or DC payrolls.

EDIT: I said the last part completely forgetting that Ritchson was just on the DC payroll. But like I said, Titans' writing was BAD. There were no actors that looked good in that show because of the horrendous writing.
Acting is acting. The script does matter, for sure, but at a certain point, good actors make bad writing look at least passable. He doesn't do that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would prefer almost 100% of the time a great actor who doesn't look the part verses a bad or mediocre actor who does. Even great actors with bad dialogue tend to make the dialogue sound better. In his case? Like I said, it's not so much the writing but his delivery. Even in that trailer above I hear some of the same delivery.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Acting is acting. The script does matter, for sure, but at a certain point, good actors make bad writing look at least passable. He doesn't do that.

My point is the writing was so bad in that show that not one actor that I recall actually looked good on that show. If that's also on him, it's hard to tell. Which is why I'm reserving judgement.

I would prefer almost 100% of the time a great actor who doesn't look the part verses a bad or mediocre actor who does. Even great actors with bad dialogue tend to make the dialogue sound better. In his case? Like I said, it's not so much the writing but his delivery. Even in that trailer above I hear some of the same delivery.

I actually agree with this. But there were/are SO many more actors that are probably even better than Tom was/is that could have played Jack Reacher that could have conveyed at least a modicum of the intimidating size that Reacher is portrayed as having in the books.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem is that Reacher's size/strength are 100% part of the story. Cruise's movie was good, but not Jack Reacher - inspired by, but not Jack Reacher.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Only problem is that Reacher's size/strength are 100% part of the story. Cruise's movie was good, but not Jack Reacher - inspired by, but not Jack Reacher.
Funny thing here is that everyone hated Cruise as Reacher because of his look.

Well, you got your wish. Be careful what you wish for because Cruise is 100x the actor.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, you got your wish. Be careful what you wish for because Cruise is 100x the actor.

If you were a reader of Jack Reacher, then maybe you'd understand.

So you are saying as long as the part is cast with a good actor, physical appearance doesn't matter. Got it.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I consider it as over-compensation for the backlash that Reacher fans gave Tom.

I never "wished" for anything in this regard, since I never read the Jack Reacher books. I was just mostly bemused at the choice after reading about the character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you were a reader of Jack Reacher, then maybe you'd understand.

So you are saying as long as the part is cast with a good actor, physical appearance doesn't matter. Got it.
Who said that? Geez chill out.

Just pointing out that you think acting skill is secondary to how tall the guy is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Feel free to quote where Jon or anyone else that said this exact thing because I don't recall it.
That is the first and the biggest reason he didn’t like the first movie.

I don’t blame him for not liking the first movie because of that, but being big isn’t going to save THIS show if his history as an actor is proven right.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t invalidate one thing I said.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the actor is bad nobody is going to associate him with the character either. I will take “acting” like Reacher over looking like reacher every single time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose