RB Conner re-signs with Cards

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont expect anymore additions at RB. Ward resigned, Eno still under contract and now Conner.

And if one doesn't fall to them in the draft there will be 10 free agents on the open market on cheap deals

Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like the contract number much, but it's close to what I expected. Better than Chase at $6 million because Conner is a touchdown maker.

It's a little bit rich. I thought $6m max. But there was other interest and it's hardly worth arguing over a mil.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We kept a RB who accounted for 18 TDs, not sure we get that from any of the RBs on the market. Without Conner the Cards likely only win 8 games last season, maybe less.
I am sure a similar argument was made last year before we signed Conner...it is less about the player and more about how much it costs to replace the role.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sure a similar argument was made last year before we signed Conner...it is less about the player and more about how much it costs to replace the role.

On one hand I'm fully in the "Decent running backs are 10 a penny and you should pick up cheap deals"

On the other I understand why they brought back someone that everyone likes and was a real tone setter on offense. Got to admit Conner added some dog to this offense that is lacking pretty much everywhere else on that side of the ball.

$15m cash is in the first 2 years so it's really only a 2 year deal, but I imagine it's backloaded so there will be some dead cap in that 3rd year.

Reactions: PJ1

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. Need to add a RB in the 5th round for depth. Eno should be able to do some of what Chase did

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Basically, if there is one position I am ok leaving FA with a huge ? at, it is RB. But that is a philosophy thing.

I like Conner. I like his fit in the offense. I am just aware that in a salary cap league not all positions/roles/contracts are created equal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thing you need to bear in mind is that extensions don't count towards the comp pick formula. If we let Conner walk and signed another RB for $5m+ them that guy does.

It's a small thing but not nothing.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another thing you need to bear in mind is that extensions don't count towards the comp pick formula. If we let Conner walk and signed another RB for $5m+ them that guy does.

It's a small thing but not nothing.
are we getting a comp from edmunds in the case?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basically, if there is one position I am ok leaving FA with a huge ? at, it is RB. But that is a philosophy thing.

I like Conner. I like his fit in the offense. I am just aware that in a salary cap league not all positions/roles/contracts are created equal.

Agreed. I'm the same way. Even if we didn't sign anyone in FA or draft anyone there would still be some guys that were draft casualties or post June 1st etc

But also I understand why they wanted Conner back. I hope they beef up the O line so it's not another 3.7 YPC season.