Ray Horton out, Todd Bowles in as Cardinals DC

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Bowles was forced to run a 4-3 scheme he took over midseason. He's a 3-4 guy. The Eagles were in a tailspin already at that point. I wouldn't read too much into it.

He is a 3-4 guy.

He was an assistant head coach and a iterm head coach as well. I think I had him confused with someone else b4.

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By taking over a D and a scheme he didn't know mid-season? Eh. I don't like the move but I'm gonna withhold judgement until I see how it plays out

They gave up over 30 a game with him as coach. Before becoming d-coordinator he was the d-back coach and helped turn Nnamdi into a steamy turd. Maybe he did get a raw deal in Philly but by no stretch of the imagination does that mean he should get hired here. Out of every d-coach in the league last year he submitted the worst performance... and we just lost the coach of our top 5 defense... and replaced him with this...

There is no way to put positive spin on this. Its embarrassing.

Superfuzz

Veteran
Reaction score
He is a 3-4 guy.

He was an assistant head coach and a iterm head coach as well. I think I had him confused with someone else b4.

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

No worries. There's precious little info on him online...but who knows, he's under contract with another team right now anyways. We'll see what happens.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They gave up over 30 a game with him as coach. Before becoming d-coordinator he was the d-back coach and helped turn Nnamdi into a steamy turd. Maybe he did get a raw deal in Philly but by no stretch of the imagination does that mean he should get hired here. Out of every d-coach in the league last year he submitted the worst performance... and we just lost the coach of our top 5 defense... and replaced him with this...

we'll see. Nnamdi is a grown man. He could have been a diva much like DRC and been uncoachable. To say it was Bowles' fault is a bit presumptuous

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Sure there is, the talent on Arizona's D is much, much, much better than the talent on Philly's D.

Losing Horton is going to suck very badly, but again would you want a reportedly disgruntled coach who young players look up to in the final years of their rookie contracts around these guys?

Last edited:

Superfuzz

Veteran
Reaction score
we'll see. Nnamdi is a grown man. He could have been a diva much like DRC and been uncoachable. To say it was Bowles' fault is a bit presumptuous

Agree. The problems on that Eagles team the past two years probably go much deeper than just one CB or DB coach. Reid and Castillo lost their jobs for a reason.

freebyrd

Reaction score
well as much as keim liked to tout that we were retooling not rebuilding he is wrong now

complete renovation the defensive players aren't going to be happy but i expect them to be professional and get with the program,

a week ago this would have really ticked me off but some of the news coming out about horton since then sounded like sour grapes and he needed to go

i mean we interviewed him we gave him permission to talk to other teams and it didn't work out for him,

so we weren't the only ones not quite ready to hand him the reigns
i figured with the right team player attitude he could coach out his last year and pad his resume
but this just makes him look bad in the eyes of other owners,

i don't think you'll be seeing ray as an HC anytime soon

in closing thank you ray for doing your best job while you were here you made an otherwise dismal team interesting to watch at times
and good luck to you

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Since this hasn't even been confirmed (please change title for now, mods), I hope Horton wakes up with a different frame of mind tomorrow and accepts his role with the team.

He'll be a head coach one day, but he needs to readjust his attitude and not respond like that for being passed over for a promotion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since this hasn't even been confirmed (please change title for now, mods), I hope Horton wakes up with a different frame of mind tomorrow and accepts his role with the team.

He'll be a head coach one day, but he needs to readjust his attitude and not respond like that for being passed over for a promotion.

If the repirt of how he reacted is true he may never be a HC.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That would be cool, I hope he didn't set trip too hard up in there. He can really use this year here to pad his resume, or even have a real shot next time if Arians chokes.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
If the repirt of how he reacted is true he may never be a HC.

You're a part-time worker who has gone above and beyond what is expected of you since getting hired; and your work has been meriting a full-time job when one becomes available.

Said job opens up. Not only do they not hire you, they bring in someone from the outside to take the full-time opening and word gets out that the company may also be bringing someone else in to fill YOUR part-time job.

Horton is full within his rights to be angry. Especially if he was horse and ponied for the last two weeks. How he reacted is up for speculation at this point. We are being told there was a blowup between he and Keim; and I have no reason to believe Jurecki is lying. That all said,if Horton DID lose his cool with Keim, he's got some growing to do before he gets his own gig. However, he has EVERY right to be sore.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're a part-time worker who has gone above and beyond what is expected of you since getting hired; and your work has been meriting a full-time job when one becomes available.

Said job opens up. Not only do they not hire you, they bring in someone from the outside to take the full-time opening and word gets out that the company may also be bringing someone else in to fill YOUR part-time job.

Horton is full within his rights to be angry. Especially if he was horse and ponied for the last two weeks. How he reacted is up for speculation at this point. We are being told there was a blowup between he and Keim; and I have no doubt to believe Jurecki is lying. That all said,if Horton DID lose his cool with Keim, he's got some growing to do before he gets his own gig. However, he has EVERY right to be sore.

I'm not sure why you switched from a realistic scenario to the part-time versus full-time one but this is about a promotion, pure and simple. I've promoted a lot of people through the years and one of the things I watched closely was how well they handled the situation when they didn't get the job the first time. It's very telling. It doesn't sound like he's handling it well and that kind of flaw often manifests itself in other areas. Management might have been aware of weaknesses with this guy that we'll never see sitting on our coaches.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Horton is full within his rights to be angry. Especially if he was horse and ponied for the last two weeks. How he reacted is up for speculation at this point. We are being told there was a blowup between he and Keim; and I have no doubt to believe Jurecki is lying. That all said,if Horton DID lose his cool with Keim, he's got some growing to do before he gets his own gig. However, he has EVERY right to be sore.

First off just because the defense did well doesnt automatically make him wirthy of bring hirrd as HC. You have ZERO clue how He interviewed, how he planned to build up the O or what kind of staff he had planned. Two other teams also interviewed him and passed.

If he thought or assumed he was a shoe in thats his problem. Even if hes angry you have to be professional about it and not throw a freaking tantrum. Nothing he did guaranteed him the job nor should it.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you switched from a realistic scenario to the part-time versus full-time one but this is about a promotion, pure and simple. I've promoted a lot of people through the years and one of the things I watched closely was how well they handled the situation when they didn't get the job the first time. It's very telling. It doesn't sound like he's handling it well and that kind of flaw often manifests itself in other areas. Management might have been aware of weaknesses with this guy that we'll never see sitting on our coaches.

Steve

I'm not defending how he allegedly acted. Again, if he did lose his cool; he's got growing up to do before he gets a head coaching gig.

I just understand where he's angry over not getting the job. You have a chance to go from manager to president of the company, but get passed on it then hear speculation that you may lose the job you have, you're going to be well within your rights to be angry. How you react to it? Different story.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
First off just because the defense did well doesnt automatically make him wirthy of bring hirrd as HC. You have ZERO clue how He interviewed, how he planned to build up the O or what kind of staff he had planned. Two other teams also interviewed him and passed.

Nothing automatically makes you worthy. However, it certainly looks good for the resume and gives you hope that they will promote from the within. Also how He interviewed? I didn't realize Ray Horton was Jesus Christ ;) (just busting on you).

If he thought or assumed he was a shoe in thats his problem. Even if hes angry you have to be professional about it and not throw a freaking tantrum. Nothing he did guaranteed him the job nor should it.

I would HOPE and believe he didn't think he was a shoe in.. If he did, that assumption should have been shot to hell when the Reid rumors started, and when they brought McCoy and Gruden in for second interviews; then brought Bevell in.

There's more to this I believe. Otherwise, Ray Horton has the professionalism of a ten year old.

And for the record, I'm by no means against the Arians hire. In fact, I like it. Can't go wrong hiring someone who very logically could wind up winning NFL Coach of the Year this off-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not defending how he allegedly acted. Again, if he did lose his cool; he's got growing up to do before he gets a head coaching gig.

I just understand where he's angry over not getting the job. You have a chance to go from manager to president of the company, but get passed on it then hear speculation that you may lose the job you have, you're going to be well within your rights to be angry. How you react to it? Different story.

I can see the right to be disappointed more than angry but people get angry for a lot of reasons so perhaps.

Considering how much faulty information circulates through Twitter and the like, I'd find it difficult to believe that anyone involved would grant credibility to stuff like this until confirmed. But even still, it's one thing to be angry it's quite another to let ANYONE know it. Maybe you share it with your significant other but you sure don't put it out for public display. You're not in this field for the short term usually, it's a career and you get measured every step along the way.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Based on my twitter feed, Shefter reported that Horton found out about the Arians hire from the news reports and not the team. How can that possibly be the best way to handle in-house business?

Especially since he was under consideration for the job and, at the same time, the most important coaching talent still under contract with the team? All of these people have massive egos. How can they be this poor at managing them?

Sent from my 4G/LTE Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk HD.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on my twitter feed, Shefter reported that Horton found out about the Arians hire from the news reports and not the team. How can that possibly be the best way to handle in-house business?

Especially since he was under consideration for the job and, at the same time, the most important coaching talent still under contract with the team? All of these people have massive egos. How can they be this poor at managing them?

If reports are true abnd he was in a heated argument with Keim yesterday then he knew then soi i doubt the report #1.... Also if he didnt know after said tantrum with the wY he acted i dont blame the team for keeping him out of the loop.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He did not tweet that at all. If I was not on my phone, I would quote it, but it said that he had not received a phone call yet and this was before the deal was done.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Horton is full within his rights to be angry. Especially if he was horse and ponied for the last two weeks. How he reacted is up for speculation at this point. We are being told there was a blowup between he and Keim; and I have no reason to believe Jurecki is lying. That all said,if Horton DID lose his cool with Keim, he's got some growing to do before he gets his own gig. However, he has EVERY right to be sore.
nah. More like he's an assistant manager at the SW branch for a company. He just got brought in a couple years ago from another branch for this position. He's done a great job and the manager position opens for the branch. He interviews for it, because, well he's earned that interview. The branch instead reaches outside to another branch and finds a guy that they felt performed his duties better, and he interviews better. He got the job. Does he have the right to be mad? Of course he does. But it's a part of the business. Should you either go back to work and look for an opening as manager at another branch, or throw a fit and get yourself fired from this great job you had, losing a good reference for your resume for when you undoubtedly would have gotten the call again for that manager opening at another branch

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually that was Jim Washburn bullying Castillo and Reid into doing that ridiculous defense.

The Grits Blitz part II.

Gotcha. Just knew Bowles was forced to use it once he took over, so figured it was Juan -- guess not.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Management might have been aware of weaknesses with this guy that we'll never see sitting on our coaches.

Steve

Well if I was sitting on our coaches, I think I would have a very good viewpoint indeed. Fly on the wall...shmall....sitting on coaches is what I call direct access. :D

I do agree Horton may or may not have behaved well, we really just don't know what really happened. Alot of info floating around clouding everything. Was he promised or lied to? What caused the shouting match? Was it physical? Who initiated it? So on and so forth.

Thus he may not have behaved well, or was completely justified, to it's all smoke out of the butts of the idiot media, to somewhere in between any or all of these or more.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Man I expected this if Horton wasn't hired HC- it is normal- I mean buddy Ryan with the bears before ditka was a big deal! and so would this be- New HC should get his DC- just is what it is