Rapoport: "The Arizona Cardinals have received calls from teams about trading up."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
pretty much. We obviously had him ranked very high and we fired everyone, he deserves a shot with competent coaching and I am convinced this coaching staff is far more competent already even if you look past the HC.

As Clint said, "Deserves got nothing to do with it." He legitimately played bad enough football that there's intrigue on this point. The team has more insight than us about how his practice habits were, what he was able to take from the white board to the field, etc., etc.

What's weird is that the Cards seemed to feel good about how Rosen was performing up until they hired Kingbury. That seems to be the problem, that factors not on the field/related to the play could be polluting this decision.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As Clint said, "Deserves got nothing to do with it." He legitimately played bad enough football that there's intrigue on this point. The team has more insight than us about how his practice habits were, what he was able to take from the white board to the field, etc., etc.

What's weird is that the Cards seemed to feel good about how Rosen was performing up until they hired Kingbury. That seems to be the problem, that factors not on the field/related to the play could be polluting this decision.

They still seem to be fine with Rosen. Unless it's fabricated fluff, Kliff speaks very highly about Rosen's potential and study habits, and Keim called him a "pro's pro."

I remain skeptical about Murray-to-AZ, but if there's credence to it, it's likely more about Murray's fit in Kliff's offense than Rosen's shortcomings.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
pretty much. We obviously had him ranked very high and we fired everyone, he deserves a shot with competent coaching and I am convinced this coaching staff is far more competent already even if you look past the HC.
Yes,clean the deck and suddenly he become an all pro
Is it also possible some our former coaches would beg for another shot with a competent qb

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They still seem to be fine with Rosen. Unless it's fabricated fluff, Kliff speaks very highly about Rosen's potential and study habits, and Keim called him a "pro's pro."

I remain skeptical about Murray-to-AZ, but if there's credence to it, it's likely more about Murray's fit in Kliff's offense than Rosen's shortcomings.
Kliff praising words doesnt mean anything or did u expect kliff saying something bad about Rosen?
Is still an Arizona player and he has some value, they can't dumb him like a sevent rounder

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Partly that's just the way coaches talk. They're not going to rip on the players that are on the roster, and I think that Rosen remains a good prospect.

But if you feel that Rosen has a solid foundation that you can win with but Murray is going to get you 8% better, I think that another draft pick at another position will help you win more football games in the long run.

UNLESS you're sure you can get a mid-first back. I think that changes the equation.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do we know anything has changed though? Seems to me they just shut everything down and stopped talking.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes,clean the deck and suddenly he become an all pro
Is it also possible some our former coaches would beg for another shot with a competent qb

dude

everyone had their worst season ever on that coaching staff. it wasnt rosen obviously. they cant want all the shots they want but everyone was terrible. Our top D was terrible. Larry was terrible. Everything sucked.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How do we know anything has changed though? Seems to me they just shut everything down and stopped talking.

I don't think these rumors are sui generis. There isn't even a strong counter-narrative of "Actually, the Cards love Joey Bosa/Quinnen Williams" out there. Keim is very, very chatty with the football press, and the suddenness and unanimity around this Murray thing makes me thing there's at least something real there.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kliff praising words doesnt mean anything or did u expect kliff saying something bad about Rosen and his rookie season?

I've seen coaches give players lukewarm support before shipping them off, which is a telling sign. IIRC, Chip Kelly did a ton of that when he got to Philadelphia and he basically whitewashed the roster.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other considerations:

What will Kingsbury's offense be like and how would Murray compare with Rosen in running that offense.

I agree with the thinking that - within the context of the new offense - if you think drafting Murray will only net 3 or so more wins, you don't make that move. (But if you do think so, you leap on that puppy).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you would be peeing against the wind if you think Murray will bring 4 games better.
Are you content flying forward with Murray and the free agents they've brought in? Take Murray if you think he's a game changer, but it'll cost you a shot at all of the best players in this draft otherwise, which you'd have your pick of if you run with Rosen and build around him.

They aren't the best players in the draft if Murray works out.

If Murray is say a top 8 qb that is worth 3 Nick Bosa's.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They aren't the best players in the draft if Murray works out.

If Murray is say a top 8 qb that is worth 3 Nick Bosa's.

Can you validate this in any way?

And what if Murray is worse than Josh Rosen? He finds out that they play defense in the NFL and goes back to baseball. Then you're out two first-round QBs with nothing to show for it — especially if you like Rosen right now.

The prudent thing to do is draft Murray and keep Rosen unless someone offers something you love. That's a ballsy move that I don't know...

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NO matter how it goes, I'll be glad it's over

Rosen has potential and stood up after getting his teeth kicked in last year, but he hitches on throws, waits too long to see WR's open rather than anticipating the break and to me if you can get pick 17-25 for him...take it

Murray has been and looks the part ....there is no way you don't watch his game tape and not walk away AMAZED. He just screams 'Super Bowl' where as Rosen screams 'I can do the job'

No one here can see Rosen taking this team to the Super Bowl....watch Murray and tell me you don't see someone who's got that factor written all over him.

Then fix the dang O line

and for gods sake don't trade the pick and get out smarted by another team who gets Murray one pick ahead of you. Murray if he's not picked at one the Raiders will trade up and take him at 2.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think these rumors are sui generis. There isn't even a strong counter-narrative of "Actually, the Cards love Joey Bosa/Quinnen Williams" out there. Keim is very, very chatty with the football press, and the suddenness and unanimity around this Murray thing makes me thing there's at least something real there.
Fancy. I'll admit, I had to look that one up. Lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With the draft forthcoming, the Cardinals probably do not want counter-narrative. I think they want the option of a trade down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Partly that's just the way coaches talk. They're not going to rip on the players that are on the roster, and I think that Rosen remains a good prospect.

But if you feel that Rosen has a solid foundation that you can win with but Murray is going to get you 8% better, I think that another draft pick at another position will help you win more football games in the long run.

UNLESS you're sure you can get a mid-first back. I think that changes the equation.

agreed.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I absolutely do not see Rosen as the leader I want as our quarterback now or in the future. I saw no signs of that ability last year. I saw no signs of communication with players and or coaches while on the bench. In my opinion he is too full of himself for my taste. If I am wrong in that evaluation fine, keep him. Rosen certainly appears to have the skills for the position. I am very concerned with how he views himself and how he communicates with teammates.

I really do not know all that much about Murray, however if he has the communication skills that I think Rosen lacks, we have to select Murray. I do not care if he is a midget.

If we do select Murray I would not trade Rosen for a bag of beans. If we cannot make a trade on trade day for a 1st rounder I would keep him and wait for the first quarterback from another team to go on the IR and get our 1st round pick next year. His play with the receiving team should help make that pick go higher.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I absolutely do not see Rosen as the leader I want as our quarterback now or in the future. I saw no signs of that ability last year. I saw no signs of communication with players and or coaches while on the bench. In my opinion he is too full of himself for my taste. If I am wrong in that evaluation fine, keep him. Rosen certainly appears to have the skills for the position. I am very concerned with how he views himself and how he communicates with teammates.

I really do not know all that much about Murray, however if he has the communication skills that I think Rosen lacks, we have to select Murray. I do not care if he is a midget.

If we do select Murray I would not trade Rosen for a bag of beans. If we cannot make a trade on trade day for a 1st rounder I would keep him and wait for the first quarterback from another team to go on the IR and get our 1st round pick next year. His play with the receiving team should help make that pick go higher.

This is not true, I heard he even went as far as going to the kicker after a miss and trying to encourage him. Rosen was very active trying to establish himself as a leader. Then you have his passionate statement in the huddle about winning against the Niners. Character and leadership is not the question but his playing ability and that of Murray in comparison

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Spend a whopping 15 minutes watching Murray get interviewed and tell me if you think he looks like he has "communication skills."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave