How should you re-watch Star Wars?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I decided to re-watch the Star Wars movies in preparation of The Force Awakens. There has been a debate about which order it should be watched in.

You decide.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Start with the classic trilogy--that way, if it takes too long and your trip to the theater comes up before you see the prequel, you should be fine. We're doing that with my stepdaughter right now--although we probably won't watch the prequels before seeing the new movie.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think watching it in numerical order makes sense story-wise. I haven been thinking about doing this myself, even considered doing the in theater marathon but decided that is entirely too long to spend in a theater. Attack of the Clones is so God awful though I guess I could have used that 2 hours for a nap.

Obviously the story quality argument leans heavily to just watching the original trilogy though.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By release date, so obviously IV, V VI, I, II, III.

Just imagine watching it for the first time - would you want to have the impact of Vader revealing who he is to Luke spoiled?

If we had kids that is how I would show the films to them - as I saw them and with that reveal kept secret until the fight on Bespin.

If it is just to refresh yourself before seeing VII, I agree with Chap - just watch IV, V, VI. They stand alone fine without the prequels.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't watch the prequels anyway, because as Brian says, the reveal at the end of Empire is extremely powerful, but watching the prequels before that defeats the purpose.

However, if you've already seen all the movies and are rewatching, perhaps that is ok to have spoiled before.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Just imagine watching it for the first time - would you want to have the impact of Vader revealing who he is to Luke spoiled?

If we had kids that is how I would show the films to them - as I saw them and with that reveal kept secret until the fight on Bespin.

If it is just to refresh yourself before seeing VII, I agree with Chap - just watch IV, V, VI. They stand alone fine without the prequels.

I have to agree. In preparation for the new one I went back and watched them all and man, the prequels were so bad. Sith was ok but dude, the first two, IMO (which does not make it fact or gospel ofcourse) but they were just laughably terrible. The dialogue, the acting, the characters, just really, really bad.

The first three had so much more heart and were just so much better. I had honestly forgotten how bad the first two were, now I remember why when we left the theater I told my girlfriend that clones was one of the worst movies I had ever seen.

I feel like if Phantom or Clones were standalone movies not carried by the star wars name they would have been two of the biggest bombs of all time. Again, not ripping star wars, I love the trilogy, but those prequels were just not good at all.

But I have 'a new hope' that Abrams is going to awaken the force in this one.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. But I'll be watching all in numerical order ahead of the new movie. I don't mind the prequels near as much as others do. I can stay occupied looking at the scenery and backgrounds if the main story is dragging through the lame parts. Since the poll is about myself, that's what I voted for.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think watching it in numerical order makes sense story-wise. I haven been thinking about doing this myself, even considered doing the in theater marathon but decided that is entirely too long to spend in a theater. Attack of the Clones is so God awful though I guess I could have used that 2 hours for a nap.

Obviously the story quality argument leans heavily to just watching the original trilogy though.
Same here. I'm watching them chronologically. The argument could be for either, but I think that tells the story best.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When I first watched stars with me 2 boys I watched in from I to VI. My oldest boy already new Darth Vader was Luke's dad well before he ever seen the movies so it didn't ruin it for him. If adults or even kids haven't seen any star wars movies and still don't know Darth Vader is Luke's dad, they have been living under a rock....no a mountain.

I'm going to watch it again from I to VI if we have time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is a great article out there that talks about the order to watch -- Star Wars, Empire, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and then Jedi. So not even watching Phantom Menace at all. It actually makes a lot of sense, even if it includes trash like Episode II.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When I first watched stars with me 2 boys I watched in from I to VI. My oldest boy already new Darth Vader was Luke's dad well before he ever seen the movies so it didn't ruin it for him. If adults or even kids haven't seen any star wars movies and still don't know Darth Vader is Luke's dad, they have been living under a rock....no a mountain.

I'm going to watch it again from I to VI if we have time.

lol No kidding.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had already seen 4 at the time I put up the poll as it was my plan to watch them IV, V, VI, I, II, III. However, I don't think I will have time to watch I,II,III before I see VII.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like em or love them, you need to watch them in true order verses the release order. Even if the prequels weakened the narrative it's still overall one story.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Like em or love them, you need to watch them in true order verses the release order. Even if the prequels weakened the narrative it's still overall one story.

For people that haven't seen it / don't know you don't want to spoil Ep5 with the foreknowledge of Darth Vaders identity.

If you are re-watching then it doesn't matter much what order you watch them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people that haven't seen it / don't know you don't want to spoil Ep5 with the foreknowledge of Darth Vaders identity.

If you are re-watching then it doesn't matter much what order you watch them.

The title of the thread was "Re-watching". Not that I think it matters much as anybody with a pulse knows that reveal even if you have never watched a movie. My mother has never seen a Star Wars film and she knows that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title of the thread was "Re-watching". Not that I think it matters much as anybody with a pulse knows that reveal even if you have never watched a movie. My mother has never seen a Star Wars film and she knows that.

I read many book series and eventually most successful authors will write some prequel novels that tell a lot of backstory for the characters you already know and love. Just like the Star Wars films, I originally read the books in order of release and were I to re-read the series, I'd stick with the order of release. I wouldn't suddenly try to piece it all together in a chronological order instead. Prequels (books or films) are generally filled with nods/throwbacks to the future of characters we already know. Many lines/scenes would suffer from not having viewed the future timeline of the characters first.

Just my two cents.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kids rewatched in chronological order. Was good (because you end with the trilogy). They all like ep iii a lot though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kids rewatched in chronological order. Was good (because you end with the trilogy). They all like ep iii a lot though.

I actually like Episode III myself. To me it was far and away better than the Episode 1 & 2. My son still likes 2 alot though. He is a Clone Trooper freak. He can tell you just about everything about the Clone Troopers. It's insane.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
III was by far the best of the prequels - I watched it a couple of times in the theater. But that's because it was the story we all wanted to see - the heel turn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson