Rams | Request Permission to talk to one of our own for GM position

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the direction our team is headed and hope we can keep the staff together for at least one more year before other teams start to poach us again.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this paragraph from the above article:

Quietly, the Cards have enjoyed as much drafting success in recent years as any team in the league. Before last April’s draft, Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune did a study on draft success which found that over the previous five years – since Graves had taken charge of Arizona’s draft – 18 of 33 players picked by the Cardinals had become NFL starters, a league high.

Note that this was written in 2009.

Good Find!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards have been drafting better since the Days of Denny Green. The problem most have with Graves and the FO has been with keeping the guys on the team.

8 players of the 57 listed on profootball-reference 2011 Arizona roster were drafted by the Cardinals prior to 2009. Green Bay has 15. Pittsburgh has 20. Pittsburgh also has 33 of their total draft picks on their roster compared to 21 for Arizona. Green Bay has 32. San Francisco has 33. Seattle 24. Rams 19.

Appears to be a correlation there. What it is, I have no idea.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And Alan Branch really wasnt a miss.

How many starts did Alan Branch have here in four or five seasons? From a second round pick, anything less than 30-40 should be considered a massive disappointment.

Also, what minor success he has was at a position different from the one he was drafted to play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How many starts did Alan Branch have here in four or five seasons? From a second round pick, anything less than 30-40 should be considered a massive disappointment.

Also, what minor success he has was at a position different from the one he was drafted to play.

What are you talking about? Branch started 16 games in 2011. Oh wait...nevermind.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards with Branch 36-34. Cards without Branch 8-8.

.500 with 'em. .500 without 'em.

:p
And then the Skwawks get him, and they go 7-8.

smiliefan.gif

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I'm trying

I'm opening up a little crack of light in my darkside. i'mean Whiz is 40 and 40 now? But I don't like our drafts, free agency's, contracts, I mean Whis has kissed a lot of frogs and Graves has held them for him.

I told you DD would not be worth what he got, He got a lot! but He is worth more than Faneca and Porter. CC will get paid, Skelton may have been our best value pick! But Kolb is a DISASTER at this point! almost as bad as cutting Leinart last minute for DA.

Look at DRC , 2nd round pick and that contract! I would like to see a strong GM or President forcing some wil, and making some football decisions. look at our coaching staff top to bottom in the other thread!

I don't know what you dudes are talking about. I'm fine (mostly) with our current situation (I'm talking management, from coaches on up). When we start sucking again bigtime, like last year, and we do that consistently, then I'll whine like a little girl. This the best front office and coaching staff we've had (aside from Don Coryell back in the day, and I liked him a lot more when he was with the Chargers). Putting it matter-of-factly, you guys are insane for wanting changes after we just finished 8-8 after starting 1-6. After finishing 5-11 last year. After finishing 10-6 the year before and beating GB in the playoffs. After going 9-7 and going to the SB before then. And again after going 8-8 before that. Just insane and illogical. It makes no sense.

Let's shake up the only good run we've had in the modern era. Ridiculous. Whis pointed out the 5-11, 8-8, 9-7 SB when he first got here, and how it mirrored last years 5-11, this years 8-8 and next year who knows. This is a team on the rise, you don't mess with that.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was REALLY hoping for Eric De Costa as GM...but thats out.

Three teams requested to speak with Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta, but he’s not going to meet with anyone.

DeCosta has decided to stay in Baltimore, where he is the G.M. in waiting behind Ozzie Newsome.

“Since this franchise started in 1996, we’ve established a strong history of retaining our most important executives, players, coaches and personnel experts,” Newsome said in a statement. “Eric, who has had opportunities to interview with other teams recently and over the years, is another one we want to keep and will keep. He has chosen to stay with the Ravens, and we’re excited that he will. He is a most valuable asset and will continue to help us win championships.”

There were rumors that DeCosta saw the Bears opening as the most intriguing, but the presence of a head coach already in place could have scared him off.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/decosta-isnt-leaving-baltimore/

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm opening up a little crack of light in my darkside. i'mean Whiz is 40 and 40 now? But I don't like our drafts, free agency's, contracts, I mean Whis has kissed a lot of frogs and Graves has held them for him.

I told you DD would not be worth what he got, He got a lot! but He is worth more than Faneca and Porter. CC will get paid, Skelton may have been our best value pick! But Kolb is a DISASTER at this point! almost as bad as cutting Leinart last minute for DA.

Look at DRC , 2nd round pick and that contract! I would like to see a strong GM or President forcing some wil, and making some football decisions. look at our coaching staff top to bottom in the other thread!

Being 40 and 40 doesn't impress me obviously--nor does it scare me. Bill Belichick coached 5 seasons with the Browns and went 36-44 with only one winning season. He then went to NE and has gone 139-53. If we just looked at the #'s in his first 5 seasons, our fans would have run him out of town.

When Whis first got here he had players and coaches forced on him, and he didn't have nearly the creative control a guy like Belichick has. Yet his record is slightly better, and he took us to a SB and 2 more playoff games the following year, all within that 5 year span. Clearly, #'s aren't everything because one tenure is much more successful than the other.

I'm not sure what your complaint with DD is, you had the same complaints on the other forum we shall not name, and I never really comprehended those complaints either. I get it, you don't like DD and think he's overpaid. Fair enough. I like the dude and think he's an anchor on our line and I'm not sure how you put a price on that.

I love me some Skelton, but let's be honest, he has a long way to go--frankly, a lot further than Kolb. And there's no way Kolb is Leinart-bust-type-material. Not yet anyway.

Also have no problems dumping DRC for Kolb--and more importantly, to keep Fitzgerald happy. Whatever it takes to keep Fitz here is probably worth it. DRC didn't even fit our current system on D. Too much of a me-guy, too much freelancing, too many painted toenails.

I'm not saying we couldn't do better than all those players, by some luck of the draft or free agency or something, but it didn't happen. I'm not even saying we couldn't have better coaches, a better GM, a better owner. I'm just saying this is what we currently have and I think our team is on the upswing here, after a couple down years because of a HOF QB's retirement.

There are character guys on this team, from the players, to the coaches, to the GM, to all the guys you want fired. No finger-pointing. I know that makes boring media and boring TV, but if you're building a football team...

We have a character team, they aren't the most talented except for maybe a spot or two (from players up to coaches), but they fight for each other, and I'll take that any day over a TO type guy or a Santonio Holmes. Teams win championships. And we have one, and they're cohesive and believe in each other and want to win for each other.

Also, character teams are what build dynasties--players come and go, but character is instilled by the front office and coaches, and that remains even after guys like Rolle and Dansby and Boldin have left the building. I'd say we have more character now than when we went to the SB.

Last edited:

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Being 40 and 40 doesn't impress me obviously--nor does it scare me. Bill Belichick coached 5 seasons with the Browns and went 36-44 with only one winning season. He then went to NE and has gone 139-53. If we just looked at the #'s in his first 5 seasons, our fans would have run him out of town.

When Whis first got here he had players and coaches forced on him, and he didn't have nearly the creative control a guy like Belichick has. Yet his record is slightly better, and he took us to a SB and 2 more playoff games the following year, all within that 5 year span. Clearly, #'s aren't everything because one tenure is much more successful than the other.

I'm not sure what your complaint with DD is, you had the same complaints on the other forum we shall not name, and I never really comprehended those complaints either. I get it, you don't like DD and think he's overpaid. Fair enough. I like the dude and think he's an anchor on our line and I'm not sure how you put a price on that.

I love me some Skelton, but let's be honest, he has a long way to go--frankly, a lot further than Kolb. And there's no way Kolb is Leinart-bust-type-material. Not yet anyway.

Also have no problems dumping DRC for Kolb--and more importantly, to keep Fitzgerald happy. Whatever it takes to keep Fitz here is probably worth it. DRC didn't even fit our current system on D. Too much of a me-guy, too much freelancing, too many painted toenails.

I'm not saying we couldn't do better than all those players, by some luck of the draft or free agency or something, but it didn't happen. I'm not even saying we couldn't have better coaches, a better GM, a better owner. I'm just saying this is what we currently have and I think our team is on the upswing here, after a couple down years because of a HOF QB's retirement.

There are character guys on this team, from the players, to the coaches, to the GM, to all the guys you want fired. No finger-pointing. I know that makes boring media and boring TV, but if you're building a football team...

We have a character team, they aren't the most talented except for maybe a spot or two (from players up to coaches), but they fight for each other, and I'll take that any day over a TO type guy or a Santonio Holmes. Teams win championships. And we have one, and they're cohesive and believe in each other and want to win for each other.

Also, character teams are what build dynasties--players come and go, but character is instilled by the front office and coaches, and that remains even after guys like Rolle and Dansby and Boldin have left the building. I'd say we have more character now than when we went to the SB.

I agree with you. I don't have a problem with the front office either. And I will take it a step further saying that the problems we had both last year and this year are directly related to the lockout. I personally believe that the Bidwills let a lot of players go that they normally would have tried to keep to put them in a better financial position if/when the lockout happened. There is a reason we had to sign 50+ players after the lockout ended. I don't blame them, it was a smart business move and while it sucked in the short term I think it will help us out in the long run.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
nice

I agree we are on the upswing, We have improved over being near last in every statistical category last year to back end of the middle of the pack, not really early this year- but in the 2nd half of the season. Part of that is gelling together part of it is weaker schedule IMO.

I mean alot of coaches would love to have Q, fitz, BJ, Warner, Edge, leinart, Deuce - Dansby, Rolle, DD, Hayes, AW, A Smith FORCED ON THEM!
Not many would keep 2 QB's as a rookie HC - Play them both at the same time- and have to sign Tim R and Tim H. off their couch early in the season.

I don't know if many would have drafted Buster Davis, Cody Brown or targeted over the hill Steeler players for top money! who exactly are Whisenhunts personell achievements in 6 years? who has he developed beside Haley... oops.

Please tell me what Whisenhunt is great at? His staff? draft? FA? Players? Game plan? philosphy? He may have turned the corner and have the players he wants after throwing them under the bus, destroying their reputations and marketability. Blaming the players in public and signing 51 in the strike riddled offseason. ( how many of the 51 stuck?)

As far as DD goes He talks more than he produces.. He has gotten better until 3-4 years before contract time! He was leading us down the gutter and trying to step up lead the NFL down the gutter. Too stupid to know taking a shower on the internet was not a bright idea. Don't insult my intelligence with Q and his Fake injuries in camp. feed me crap and call it honey. just where do you see an elite paycheck in this career? the 3 sacks in the SB? after 4 the whole year in 2008? yea yea double teamed He's averaged less than 50 tackles and 4 sacks a year! Look at the money we gave him early and often!

CC and A. Smith are GODS!

Link
http://www.nfl.com/player/darnelldockett/2506115/profile

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard