Rams continue to grow money: sign Bobby Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You do realize that most of us would sell our soul for even one SuperBowl. Do you think anyone that supports the D-Backs really care that their team hasn't been able to accomplish what they did in 2000? Nope.

I'd easily rather have 20 years of suck to have one SB.
That’s a perspective most of us 45+ years of age possess. We know what long droughts are. And we ain’t getting any younger.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
You do realize that most of us would sell our soul for even one SuperBowl. Do you think anyone that supports the D-Backs really care that their team hasn't been able to accomplish what they did in 2000? Nope.

How can you sell your soul over something you have no control over? Even then, I'm not sure you would want to sell your soul to have what the D-Backs have (20 years of suck). That just depesses me more.

I'm just as big of a homer as anyone on this board - depressed for days after a loss but to sell your soul makes you souless and I can't do that. Do I want a Super Bowl team? Yes without a doubt. It takes skill (some of which we have), health (we can't stay healthy - strength coach or old guys?) and luck (we got lucky in 2008/2009). And, you could probably add a good owner and GM with a coach that makes most of the right calls at the right time.

I'm guessing I'll never see a SB!

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How can you sell your soul over something you have no control over? Even then, I'm not sure you would want to sell your soul to have what the D-Backs have (20 years of suck). That just depesses me more.

I'm just as big of a homer as anyone on this board - depressed for days after a loss but to sell your soul makes you souless and I can't do that. Do I want a Super Bowl team? Yes without a doubt. It takes skill (some of which we have), health (we can't stay healthy - strength coach or old guys?) and luck (we got lucky in 2008/2009). And, you could probably add a good owner and GM with a coach that makes most of the right calls at the right time.

I don't care how bad the D-Backs are now. That World Series run in 2001 was one of my fondest memories of all time. Going to Game 6 & 7 will be something I remember forever. That feeling of walking out of that stadium World Series champs, high fiving the police officers down the street. I would absolutely sell my soul for that same feeling with the Cards. Even if just for one year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't care how bad the D-Backs are now. That World Series run in 2001 was one of my fondest memories of all time. Going to Game 6 & 7 will be something I remember forever. That feeling of walking out of that stadium World Series champs, high fiving the police officers down the street. I would absolutely sell my soul for that same feeling with the Cards. Even if just for one year.
What Burque said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i couldn't care less what the D-Backs do now. I was a huge D-Backs fan from first pitch. Cherish that playoff run and still have so many memories of everything that came before the WS. I can remember watching Game 3 of that series at Sloppy Joe's in Culver City where it was just me and the sorriest group of barfly to ever inhabit a bar. I mean, calling this place a dive bar would be an insult to dive bars. But when Craig Counsel hit that 8th inning home-run to give us back the lead, I can clearly remember the literally toothless guy next to me yelling "You like that Ish, Scott?!" As I whooped and hollered like a madman. Then, watching Game 5 at Ouchie's house with another one of our best friends from Phoenix and going nuts when we won on the walkoff Womack hit in the 9th.

The Braves series was easy pickings, and then came the World Series. I came back from Los Angeles both weekends and went to all four games of the World Series in Phoenix and it was one of the greatest, if not greatest sports experience of my life. An incredible ride.

And I would never trade all of that for 20 straight winning seasons but never reaching that mountain top... which was the peak of peaks in that given sport. NEVER.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We were the best team in the league for 3/4 of the season. No reason to believe we couldn’t have been that team. Maybe if we had made those moves last year, we would have been in the same boat as the Rams.
Maybe. But the Cardinals don't have the money that the Rams have and despite what Rams fans think, Stafford isnt going to be around forever...he could retire in the next three years and no one would be shocked.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We were? That’s a awesome goal….

You can live in dreamland or you can accept reality.

Trying to out star the Rams would be a futile exercise that would leave us in cap hell, and ultimately have you and the other darksiders saying next year "Why did Keim blow all the cap space signing X, Y and Z only to finish 2nd anyway. He sucks".

That doesn't mean we can't beat them though. If collecting 30+ year old former stars like infinity stones was the way to win the superbowl everyone would be doing it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The two thing's aren't related.

The Ram's didn't win the Superbowl because they spent in FA. Quite the opposite. Before this year the Rams only made 2 big money FA signings since 2018. They constructed their roster through the draft and trades. Which is the smart way to do it.

The Bucs won the Superbowl by acquiring Tom Brady. Which enabled them to attract other stars on cheap deals because they knew Brady gave them that shot at a ring.

Going out and blowing money on over priced FA rejects from other teams is not the way to win a superbowl.

If we go out and blow this years and future years cap on FA's the chances are we don't win a superbowl next year AND suck for more years because we blew the cap on vets and didn't give our young players a shot again.

If people want to be angry at Keim it shouldn't be for his change in strategy this offseason. It should be that he didn't implement this strategy 3 years ago.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Trying to out star the Rams would be a futile exercise that would leave us in cap hell, and ultimately have you and the other darksiders saying next year "Why did Keim blow all the cap space signing X, Y and Z only to finish 2nd anyway. He sucks".

That doesn't mean we can't beat them though. If collecting 30+ year old former stars like infinity stones was the way to win the superbowl everyone would be doing it.
That's what you want to do, only not all of them are stars :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Winning a super bowl and sucking for 20 years would be a win win for some people here.

Obviously, you get the super bowl win but you get the bonus of being able to moan your ass off on here for another 20 years too. And you can bet your life not one of them would say it was worth it for the super bowl win.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe. But the Cardinals don't have the money that the Rams have and despite what Rams fans think, Stafford isnt going to be around forever...he could retire in the next three years and no one would be shocked.

Stafford ain't the Rams biggest concern. I can see Stafford playing another 4-5 years.

The Rams biggest concern is Donald. He's 31. He's not a big space eating DT that could play pretty well until 34-35 like Suh. I don't know how long he has left at a high level because he's a freak but when the Rams lose that threat it changes a lot for the Rams. Donald might be the only defensive player in the league that contributes more than a QB. Which is why the Rams made the SB with Goff back there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what you want to do, only not all of them are stars :)

No Stout. I want to add depth and fill holes like WR2 by resigning our own players that are familiar with the scheme like Green and Alford. And they are pretty much the only two guys over 30 I have advocated signing (actually also Calais for the right money because he's still legit great).

I do not advocate signing 32 year old linebackers for $10m a year or 29 year old WR's for $16m a year.

Green makes sense because another year in the scheme should see improvement and as I've said before he already gave us the 3rd best value at WR of all WR in the league last year. But I would also draft a WR.

Stout

Reaction score
Winning a super bowl and sucking for 20 years would be a win win for some people here.

Obviously, you get the super bowl win but you get the bonus of being able to moan your ass off on here for another 20 years too. And you can bet your life not one of them would say it was worth it for the super bowl win.
Blow it out your ear hole. You conveniently forget how absolutely bouncing with joy all us darksiders were on our hot streak to begin last season. Man, you have a line of propaganda and you're sticking to it, regardless of reality.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blow it out your ear hole. You conveniently forget how absolutely bouncing with joy all us darksiders were on our hot streak to begin last season. Man, you have a line of propaganda and you're sticking to it, regardless of reality.

You were happy while you were winning? Color me shocked! Pretty hard to be dark when were destroying teams by double digits on the road. I think even the most miserable could enjoy that.

Yet you spent the whole offseason last year complaining about how we were going to suck. Like this year. And the only one that ate some humble pie was Solar.

It didn't take you long to forget we were 7-0, or 10-2, or even that we finished 11-6 and go right back to saying how we are going to suck again. That's the royal you, the Darksider posse.

Stout

Reaction score
You were happy while you were winning? Color me shocked! Pretty hard to be dark when were destroying teams by double digits on the road. I think even the most miserable could enjoy that.

Yet you spent the whole offseason last year complaining about how we were going to suck. Like this year. And the only one that ate some humble pie was Solar.

It didn't take you long to forget we were 7-0, or 10-2, or even that we finished 11-6 and go right back to saying how we are going to suck again. That's the royal you, the Darksider posse.
That's a lie. I metaphorically gobbled up the crow on every thread. You're just mad that not everyone is sunshine and daisies when you want them to be. Oh, it's okay for you to be dark when you bag on KM, but how dare we be upset by what we see as going badly.

Your take was that we would be happy to wallow in suckitude. That is a lie and you know it, and it was shown last season. Your take is wrong and indefensible, try as you might to defend it. Talk smack about pollyanna v darksider, but you do not call out fandom. You are directly calling out fandom. That's a bannable offense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a lie. I metaphorically gobbled up the crow on every thread. You're just mad that not everyone is sunshine and daisies when you want them to be. Oh, it's okay for you to be dark when you bag on KM, but how dare we be upset by what we see as going badly.

Your take was that we would be happy to wallow in suckitude. That is a lie and you know it, and it was shown last season. Your take is wrong and indefensible, try as you might to defend it. Talk smack about pollyanna v darksider, but you do not call out fandom. You are directly calling out fandom. That's a bannable offense.

Calling out fandom? No.

There are swathes of fans here moaning about every single thing for weeks after an 11 win season. It's not a stretch of the imagination to imagine what they would be like with permanent suckitude.

And considering the level of venom around here after an 11 win season, and how certain sections moan every single off season (the term darksiders exist for a reason) I can only conclude that that's just how they like to act.

Oh and criticizing the obviously childish behavior of your franchise QB isn't being dark.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

So how do you do it then?

We can’t sign stars
Our GM is pretty poor at drafting
Can’t trade for an entire team bc what you need doesn’t always come available and what you have to offer may not always appeal to other teams.

Where does that leave you? Can’t draft, shouldn’t sign free agents, can’t rely on trades.

Somewhere you have to acquire talent and those are your only three mechanisms.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The two thing's aren't related.

The Ram's didn't win the Superbowl because they spent in FA. Quite the opposite. Before this year the Rams only made 2 big money FA signings since 2018. They constructed their roster through the draft and trades. Which is the smart way to do it.

The Bucs won the Superbowl by acquiring Tom Brady. Which enabled them to attract other stars on cheap deals because they knew Brady gave them that shot at a ring.

Going out and blowing money on over priced FA rejects from other teams is not the way to win a superbowl.

If we go out and blow this years and future years cap on FA's the chances are we don't win a superbowl next year AND suck for more years because we blew the cap on vets and didn't give our young players a shot again.

If people want to be angry at Keim it shouldn't be for his change in strategy this offseason. It should be that he didn't implement this strategy 3 years ago.
Wasn’t Tom Brady a FA? And he attracted what . . . other FAs? You can’t ignore that just because you want to.

Also, as Harry pointed out, the cap is a reason owners throw out for not wanting to spend. Multiple teams have shown for years that if you really want to splurge you can do so. Then, like a smart organization, you take your cap lumps in a known down year (after your franchise QB and coach retire). Acquire talent when you’re good, pay the consequences when you know you’re going to be bad. Start over.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Jesus give this a rest. You bellyache about other posters in almost every post now. It’s tired and lame.

And everyone here wants to win. So stop telling fans they want to complain. It’s just awful form in a sports board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No Stout. I want to add depth and fill holes like WR2 by resigning our own players that are familiar with the scheme like Green and Alford. And they are pretty much the only two guys over 30 I have advocated signing (actually also Calais for the right money because he's still legit great).

I do not advocate signing 32 year old linebackers for $10m a year or 29 year old WR's for $16m a year.

Green makes sense because another year in the scheme should see improvement and as I've said before he already gave us the 3rd best value at WR of all WR in the league last year. But I would also draft a WR.
You do realize that green and Alford were - ulp - free agents before they became our free agents this year, right?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Stop lying about this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Calling out fandom? No.

There are swathes of fans here moaning about every single thing for weeks after an 11 win season. It's not a stretch of the imagination to imagine what they would be like with permanent suckitude.

And considering the level of venom around here after an 11 win season, and how certain sections moan every single off season (the term darksiders exist for a reason) I can only conclude that that's just how they like to act.

Oh and criticizing the obviously childish behavior of your franchise QB isn't being dark.
The fact that you can’t accept peoples criticism of other parts of the cardinals but your criticism of one part of the cardinals is valid is freaking hilarious in its hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort