Rams-24 Cards-22: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is so disheartening about this particular loss though, and what might be kind of winding people up, is that, even though we played poorly, and even though there was some questionable officiating, we still had the game right there for us to win, and we didn't do it.

It wouldn't have taken a hail mary, or recover an onside kickoff, or anything rare like that. We just needed another 10 yards or whatever to get into game winning field goal range, and then to make the kick. Fairly routine stuff. But, we couldn't make a couple of routine plays.

And leads us to what has me a little worried.

When Warner was on (not bad Kurt), he would make great throws no matter how pressure-packed the situation. As a result, we won a lot of big games against good teams. Think about that last drive against the Eagles in the NFC championship game. Trailing in the biggest game of the season, in the biggest game in the history of the franchise even, there was no room for error, and Kurt made ever play.

Palmer sailed two throws yesterday at the end of the game. Throws that he had made all game long. All season long in fact. The rams didn't put a lot of pressure on him on either throw. The only thing unique about those two throws was, when he was asked to make them, the game was on the line

I don't like how he reacted in that situation. It looks like he might have tightened up a little in a big moment.

Now don't get me wrong, I freaking love what CP has brought to this team. He's a top five QB in this league, and our runaway MVP. His overall talent, experience, and leadership give us a chance to win the superbowl. A chance we would not otherwise have with a Nick Foles for example.

But I'm a little worried by what I saw yesterday at the end of the game. We can fix all the other stuff that happened yesterday that made us lose. But we can't fix CP's poise. It's too late for that.

And there's going to come another point in this season, it might be against the Seahawks, or the Packers, or maybe even the Patriots, where the Cardinals don't go any further unless, on 4th and 7, Palmer makes a good throw. It'll be either he makes the throw and we (go on to) win, or he misses and we lose.

Is going to make that throw? Right now, I'm not sure.

to be fair to Palmer, he was making all those big throws last season. Had a big comeback against SD in the last minute and nailed that perfect bomb to Smokey against the Eagles. He's not Brady/Rodgers which means we can't always depend on him to be super super clutch, but he's still solid.

what bothered me more yesterday was that both the offense AND defense failed at the end of the game BIG TIME. Even after the 4th down miss to DJ, there was still 1:44 left and we had 3 TOs. If the D came out and forced a 3 and out, we still get the ball back with probably 1:20 left and needing a FG, which isn't out of the question. But the D rolled over and died also. That's what was concerning to me. Last year's club seemingly picked up for each other, especially in the 4th quarter and this was the first time this team had a chance to prove it's meddle and they failed to do so.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
We will win the next 4 games. Just like we did last season after losing the 4th game of season. We are better this year. Vault me.

And I do think we are elite. Unfortunately this fanbase is so belagured they don't know it when they see it. We won the first 3 games by 10+ Pts and the last one by 40.

The Rams play everyone tough. My God taking bets from all the freak out fans now. I know what I'm watching. Assuming no bad injuries we win the next 4.

Jesus man should just start calling SOF. We actually were calling out goats and lamenting plays in a 40 or win lol.

The Cards have moved on. So should you. This teams got the best shot of our lives and most of you will be fretting and stressing all
Season long. Smh Enjoy cheering for one of the 3 best teams in football.

The irony is I watch Seattle tonight and yeah they won but the look like **** to me. Good luck with that 12th man. Meanwhile we look better yesterday then the Seattle offense has all year, make a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes and lose. And I feel 10x
Better about my team then Seattle fan should. Those guys have some REAL issues. I'm still waiting for someone to point out ours other then the fact we lost. I get its a make
Or miss league but how you win and how you lose is a good indicator of what's to come.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
We will win the next 4 games. Just like we did last season after losing the 4th game of season. We are better this year. Vault me.

And I do think we are elite. Unfortunately this fanbase is so belagured they don't know it when they see it. We won the first 3 games by 10+ Pts and the last one by 40. Everyone wants to Talk about the teams being bad but when was the last Cardinals team to do that? Hell when was the last bad any team to do that?

The Rams play everyone tough. My God taking bets from all the freak out fans now. I know what I'm watching. Assuming no bad injuries we win the next 4 with only the Ravens game being one that makes me pause but I'll take us at home and on MNF

Jesus man should just start calling SOF. We actually were calling out goats and lamenting plays in a 40 or win lol.

The Cards have moved on. So should you. This teams got the best shot of our lives and most of you will be fretting and stressing all

The irony is I watch Seattle tonight and yeah they won but the look like **** to me. Good luck with that 12th man. Meanwhile we look better yesterday then the Seattle offense has all year, make a ton of uncharacteristic mistakes and lose. And I feel 10x
Better about my team then Seattle fan should. Those guys have some REAL issues. I'm still waiting for someone to point out ours other then the fact we lost. I get its a make
Or miss league but how you win and how you lose is a good indicator of what's to come.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I do think we are elite. Unfortunately this fanbase is so belagured they don't know it when they see it. We won the first 3 games by 10+ Pts and the last one by 40.

The Rams play everyone tough. My God taking bets from all the freak out fans now. I know what I'm watching. Assuming no bad injuries we win the next 4.

simply saying we're not sure if we're elite isn't freaking out. Everyone to a man agrees this is still a good team, but to throw a bunch of hyperbole at people about how they're freaking out or blind to what's actually happening because only your (admitted kook-aid) eyes see the real thing when there were questions asked and unanswered in yesterday's first big fight seems silly to me. But keep seeing things in black and white if it makes it easier for you to argue against.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
simply saying we're not sure if we're elite isn't freaking out. Everyone to a man agrees this is still a good team, but to throw a bunch of hyperbole at people about how they're freaking out or blind to what's actually happening because only your (admitted kook-aid) eyes see the real thing when there were questions asked and unanswered in yesterday's first big fight seems silly to me. But keep seeing things in black and white if it makes it easier for you to argue against.

Im just saying the team is very very good and the Rams loss should not change that fact. If you felt that before the game (and you should) then you should after this game. The Rams didnt expose anything against us. Eveything that happened was bad bounces and easily correctable mistakes.

Its not like with Seattle where there Oline is going to be a problem all year long. Or with the Broncos who cant run the ball to save their lives.

I guess my point is we are the most complete team in the league imo. We have a QB playing as top 3 QB. We generate turnovers as defense.

Again i hate losing division games at home. But cmon we play that game 10 more times we are winning 8 maybe 9. Just wasnt our day. And I believe the next few weeks will show that.

And we are elite. But I guess youll have to take my word for it until we have more information.

Its still a wonderful time to be a Cardinal fan! Sunday nonwithstanding.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
(Edit: 6. Read last night we only had 6 runs in the second half. Unacceptable.)

Wow. 100 times THIS! We were never really so far behind (until maybe four minute mark) that we had to (or should have) abandoned a really effective running game. High percentage, clock consuming, effective. Goes back to play calling. Lots of contributing factors, but okay calling definitely a biggie IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The good; Our offense moved the ball all day against a very good defense.

The bad: If our defense didn't hold the Rams to a three and out, they would let the Rams score or the game would end. Every Rams drive over 3 plays led to points except the last one of the game.

The ugly: Our red zone offense.

Honestly, this game doesn't change my views on the Cardinals and the outlook this year. We are a good team with some young talent, and a defense which does not have a great front 7.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

The bad: If our defense didn't hold the Rams to a three and out, they would let the Rams score or the game would end. Every Rams drive over 3 plays led to points except the last one of the game.

Honestly, this game doesn't change my views on the Cardinals and the outlook this year. We are a good team with some young talent, and a defense which does not have a great front 7.

This!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Wow. 100 times THIS! We were never really so far behind (until maybe four minute mark) that we had to (or should have) abandoned a really effective running game. High percentage, clock consuming, effective. Goes back to play calling. Lots of contributing factors, but okay calling definitely a biggie IMO.

Oh man you are so right. We have the #5 rusher in the league and he didnt play the first game!

Also we have #1 WR for TDs and #2 for Passing TD.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No question. A different play call on the 1 after the PI could have been the game changer. Love our chances of gaining ground in the West after this next weekend. AZ vs Detroit, Seattle in Cincy, St. L at Green Bay and SF at NYG

Bold being the winners of the games

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The Bad

Final Drive Play Calling-I admit I was a little hard on BA at the end but for God's sake what stupid play calling. 2nd and 2 and driving for a potential winning score and he throws it 3 straight times. This is Andy Reid stupidity. While I'll give him the 2nd down screen that was just busted up by a lineman, the next 2 play calls are inexcusable. 2 deep throws when all we needed was 2 yards. Get the 1st down then go deep if you want. Get into FG range then go deep all day but 2 yards is all we needed and he simply crapped the bed. Some blame Palmer but he was hurried so much today that it's no wonder he made bad throws. We have a goal line play where Shipley comes in and plays fullback and we run it up the gut. We have a 200lb RB behind a 300lb offensive lineman. If you can't get 2 yards on the ground then I don't know what else to say. If we run twice up the gut and fail then so be it. Hell, if you're going to pass it, why not go short slants or something and not these deep outs.

The fourth down play was a quick slant, I wouldn't call that going deep.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Packers lost to the Bills last season. The Patriots lost to the Bills last season. The Seahawks lost to the Rams last season and this season. Point is, even good teams throw in a clunker now and then. The key is coming back from a bad loss. If we win next week on the road against a very potent offense all will be right in the world again.

As I stated previously, the point wasn't that elite teams never lose. Only that for elite teams....losing to inferior competition is considered out of character based on the teams reputation and history. The Cards don't have that reputation YET and have a long history of dropping games to inferior opponents.

Before you can call this team elite, two things need to happen. One, we need to consistently stomp on the inferior teams. Two, this team needs to actually beat the other elite teams. Even if you beat up on all the weak teams on your schedule...you are not elite until you beat other elite teams.

When you factor the combined records of the teams we have played so for and the next 5 opponents combined records...that schedule seems VERY favorable. Five games from now we might have a great record but I am not sure if you can call us elite even if we cake walk through that part of the schedule (assuming teams in the next 5 stay on the same trajectory).

Now if we take care of business and beat the Bengals (assuming they are still winning by then), it's a different story. You can put us in that conversation. If we beat the Bengals and later the Packers? There is no question. Until then? I don't think so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before you can call this team elite, two things need to happen. One, we need to consistently stomp on the inferior teams. Two, this team needs to actually beat the other elite teams.

31-19
48-23
47-7

All 3 are inferior teams(although the Saints still have a potent offense), Cards stomped all 3 so so far they fit your criteria. If we beat Pittsburgh or Baltimore, would we qualify as an elite team?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
31-19
48-23
47-7

All 3 are inferior teams(although the Saints still have a potent offense), Cards stomped all 3 so so far they fit your criteria. If we beat Pittsburgh or Baltimore, would we qualify as an elite team?

the Big Ben-less Steelers and a 1-3 Baltimore team don't really scream elite to me.

At this point, I think we're definitely a playoff contender, but after losing our first fist-fight with even a mediocre opponent at home, I'm gonna say jury's out on a Super Bowl contender. I'll say this though... winning the next two road games will get a lot of the Kool-Aid back in my blood after Sunday.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be fair to Palmer, he was making all those big throws last season. Had a big comeback against SD in the last minute and nailed that perfect bomb to Smokey against the Eagles. He's not Brady/Rodgers which means we can't always depend on him to be super super clutch, but he's still solid.

what bothered me more yesterday was that both the offense AND defense failed at the end of the game BIG TIME. Even after the 4th down miss to DJ, there was still 1:44 left and we had 3 TOs. If the D came out and forced a 3 and out, we still get the ball back with probably 1:20 left and needing a FG, which isn't out of the question. But the D rolled over and died also. That's what was concerning to me. Last year's club seemingly picked up for each other, especially in the 4th quarter and this was the first time this team had a chance to prove it's meddle and they failed to do so.

+100

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the Big Ben-less Steelers and a 1-3 Baltimore team don't really scream elite to me.

At this point, I think we're definitely a playoff contender, but after losing our first fist-fight with even a mediocre opponent at home, I'm gonna say jury's out on a Super Bowl contender. I'll say this though... winning the next two road games will get a lot of the Kool-Aid back in my blood after Sunday.

Then, and I'm only trying to get you to clarify, looking at our schedule the only elite team we play is the Packers and that's in week 16(our 15th game) as the Seahawks are currently 2-2 and aren't looking too elite themselves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then, and I'm only trying to get you to clarify, looking at our schedule the only elite team we play is the Packers and that's in week 16(our 15th game) as the Seahawks are currently 2-2 and aren't looking too elite themselves.

nah... by the time we get to Seattle I'm thinking they'll be 6-2, 5-3 at worst. We get back to what we did the first three weeks of the season and then go on the road there and get a W against the NFC Champs and they're either of those records, that's a MAJOR statement. Same thing if they beat the Bengals at home because I think that team'll be good too.

I just think until this team looks great against bad teams (which we face a lot of coming up again) AND beats a really good team, it's fair to ask the question if they're elite or just good. I'm not talking about going undefeated. But if you're truly an elite team, that's like a 12-4 or 13-3 record, which is rarified air for anyone and in order to get that record, we're gonna have to knock off some big boys.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
So, does this make the play any less stupid of a call? If you're arguing semantics then the argument is mine to win.

I guess I didn't know it was an argument, or a win loss thing. Are you always this competitive? And to answer your question, I don't have a problem with the play calling as both time we had receivers wide open. It's the execution of the plays I have a problem with with.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess I didn't know it was an argument, or a win loss thing. Are you always this competitive? And to answer your question, I don't have a problem with the play calling as both time we had receivers wide open. It's the execution of the plays I have a problem with with.

Mike,

The Cards execution this game left a lot to be desired.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
31-19
48-23
47-7

Its really a bad bad argument. Any team that goes 15-1 lost to an inferior team. Its the NFL. These games happen. Just got to minimize them and bounce back quick.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
nah... by the time we get to Seattle I'm thinking they'll be 6-2, 5-3 at worst. We get back to what we did the first three weeks of the season and then go on the road there and get a W against the NFC Champs and they're either of those records, that's a MAJOR statement. Same thing if they beat the Bengals at home because I think that team'll be good too.

I just think until this team looks great against bad teams (which we face a lot of coming up again) AND beats a really good team, it's fair to ask the question if they're elite or just good. I'm not talking about going undefeated. But if you're truly an elite team, that's like a 12-4 or 13-3 record, which is rarified air for anyone and in order to get that record, we're gonna have to knock off some big boys.

Already bet my cousin. They will be 4-4 and we will be 7-1. Need Dalton to step his game up this week as this is the swing one for Seattle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson