Rams-24 Cards-22: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a 16 game season you're going to win and you're going to lose. I can handle losing but I can't handle losing to a vastly inferior team. The Rams couldn't score more than 10 against the Redskins and were basically shutout at home against Pittsburgh but today, they didn't squander one single opportunity and we gave them a lot today. They didn't earn this win but we sure earned the loss.

The Good

Chris Johnson-83 yards on 16 carries for an average of 5.2 yards. Take away the 21 yard run he had and he still was rushing on a 4ypc clip but apparently that wasn't good enough to get the ball with only 2 yards to go.

Fitz-Another near 100 yard game but 1 play nearly spoils the entire day he had. His fumble was huge.

Floyd-Great to see him get some catches in.

Cat-Man-He was called on to keep us in the game and he did. Sadly, they didn't give him a chance to come through late in the game.

The Bad

Defense-Looked brilliant at times and down right awful at times. The end of the game allowing Gurley to run on them like that was disheartening. When we needed them to step up, they didn't and on the Rams last TD drive, after a long offensive drive by us, there was no excuse to fall apart against such a mediocre offense.

Red Zone Offense- The reason why this isn't in the ugly column is because at least we came away with points but otherwise, it was horrible. 1 TD other than the one we got and the game turns out differently.

David Johnson-2 terrible plays by him in the 1st quarter set the tone for this game. The fumble on the opening kickoff and then dropping a sure TD that would have tied the game.

Offensive Line-They've been great all year until today. 4 sacks and Palmer was hurried most of the game which caused him to make bad throws even when he had time. They even screwed up when we got a deep pass interference. An don't get me started on the ole' play at times. They need to fix this.

Final Drive Play Calling-I admit I was a little hard on BA at the end but for God's sake what stupid play calling. 2nd and 2 and driving for a potential winning score and he throws it 3 straight times. This is Andy Reid stupidity. While I'll give him the 2nd down screen that was just busted up by a lineman, the next 2 play calls are inexcusable. 2 deep throws when all we needed was 2 yards. Get the 1st down then go deep if you want. Get into FG range then go deep all day but 2 yards is all we needed and he simply crapped the bed. Some blame Palmer but he was hurried so much today that it's no wonder he made bad throws. We have a goal line play where Shipley comes in and plays fullback and we run it up the gut. We have a 200lb RB behind a 300lb offensive lineman. If you can't get 2 yards on the ground then I don't know what else to say. If we run twice up the gut and fail then so be it. Hell, if you're going to pass it, why not go short slants or something and not these deep outs.

Carson Palmer-Yes he had a big number day but an interception on a grossly under thrown ball that should have been a TD as Brown his both his men edged out. And, at times, he looked scared rushing his throws, especially on those misses late.

The Ugly

3 Turnovers-Can't be -3 in the turnover column and expect to win. But turnovers I can handle. The 17 points off of turnover to a garbage offense I can't. And the fumble on the kickoff set the tone.

Officiating-Let me say I am not blaming this loss on the officials. Not one iota, however, their performance really didn't do us any favors. The missed late hit calls and when they finally do throw a flag on one, they pick it up even though it was blatant but the big play was the fumble. Late in the 3rd with the Rams deep and the Cards down by 5, Foles passed to Cunningham and he is hit immediately by CC and a couple of other troops and he clearly fumbles and we recover inside the 5. That could have been a game changing turnover especially if we score there but the officials say forward progress was stopped even though anyone with 1 working eye could see that he was still moving was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Horrible call. What's even more horrible is that there was no whistle signifying forward progress was stopped. BS call if there ever was one.

That's all I have. I hate losing but hate it worse when we lose to an inferior team. Completely destroys any advantage we had over Seattle and, believe it or not, puts the Rams 1 game back of us. Another win by them and another loss by us and guess what? They are in first. And the schedule doesn't get any easier as we have the Detroit, Pittsburgh, then Baltimore, 2 of those on the road. I said that I would put this team up against any in the league and I still feel that way. Hopefully we can learn from this and move on from here. On to Detroit with them on a short week and we better come out firing next week.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Palmer didn't have 2 INTs. There was 1 INT and 2 fumbles. You even said it on the next line. :D

jeeperaz

Rookie
Reaction score
I'll add this to 'The Good' list...

Palmer's ACL remains intact!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the game where everything breaks bad for us. Just no luck on every turn.

I swear, if we'd have driven into FG territory, we'd have missed it for Cat's only miss on the day. It was that kind of game.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was the game where everything breaks bad for us. Just no luck on every turn.

I swear, if we'd have driven into FG territory, we'd have missed it for Cat's only miss on the day. It was that kind of game.

You're probably right. Last year we were 3-0 heading into Denver and with Palmer out and then Stanton, everything went to sugar but we bounced back. The good news is that we came out of the game healthy. That's a plus.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with everything you posted NJ. Wasn't it 4 TO's? Fitz and DJ fumbles and two picks by Palmer.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another good IMO is PP21. Back to back shutouts covering the other teams number one. I know it's not great wrs but you want him to shut down #1's and so far he is this year

Reaction score

LOL, I was thinking this during the game!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I did not see a 'grossly' underthrown ball to Brown... I saw a pass into double coverage and a guy making a great play on the pass and getting the interception

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did not see a 'grossly' underthrown ball to Brown... I saw a pass into double coverage and a guy making a great play on the pass and getting the interception

It was underthrown enough that the pick could happen, if CP lays it out there it is a TD IMO. JB had to slow down a bunch and wait for the ball to get to him.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Officiating-Let me say I am not blaming this loss on the officials. Not one iota, however, their performance really didn't do us any favors. The missed late hit calls and when they finally do throw a flag on one, they pick it up even though it was blatant
+1

Didn't cost us the game. But how do you not make those calls? Blatant and everyone saw them except the ref. And picking up the flag and not making the call made it worse.

Can't stand when refs don't call a fair game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it was under thrown, but it was still sixty yards in the air and Palmer might not be able to get much more on that ball.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was under thrown, thrown too late and into double coverage. The guy did make a great play to hang on to the ball.

Reaction score
Smoke can outrun Palmer's arm! This isn't the first time we've seen it. . .

That INT was more luck than anything, but hey, he made the play! Jenkins is finally earning some of the accolades the announcers were giving him in his rookie year. :|

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Good should also include Peterson. The guy has been playing at as high a level as anyone in the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's had a tremendous season. He locking down every WR he's facing these days.

he definitely has, but after having yet to face a really legit #1 WR, next week will be a really good test for him. He's done exactly what he should be doing against the guys he's faced so far... shut them down. gotta bring the same game against Megatron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA