Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Originally posted by WizardOfAz
What did he quit?

Playing NAU at Flagstaff, playing St. Joe's........

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

NAU gets a lot of big programs through Flagstaff do they?

No one will come play us. It used to be, that UA and ASU played home and home series with NAU, so every year, NAU would play one of them in Flagstaff, and the other on the road. That all stopped after NAU almost beat UA in the mid-80s in Flag. Lute fussed and whined and bitched and cried and was able to get the Board of Regents to lift the requirement that UA and ASU play NAU in Flag. Neither has played in Flag since.

Since then, I have had nothing but contempt for him - he is a whiny SOB that is not man enough to come to Flag.

OP
OP
C

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Originally posted by Dback Jon
No one will come play us. It used to be, that UA and ASU played home and home series with NAU, so every year, NAU would play one of them in Flagstaff, and the other on the road. That all stopped after NAU almost beat UA in the mid-80s in Flag. Lute fussed and whined and bitched and cried and was able to get the Board of Regents to lift the requirement that UA and ASU play NAU in Flag. Neither has played in Flag since.

Since then, I have had nothing but contempt for him - he is a whiny SOB that is not man enough to come to Flag.

Ummm.....sorry to break it to ya but I highly doubt a perrenial top 5 team is actually scared to go play NAnothingU.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Originally posted by Card Trader
Ummm.....sorry to break it to ya but I highly doubt a perrenial top 5 team is actually scared to go play NAnothingU.

Yeah, good point. That would be a tough decision for the administration at NAU....Do we bump Western State off the schedule just to make room for ASU??

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Originally posted by Card Trader

And sorry to break it to you, but yes, Lute is scared to play NAU in Flagstaff. The facts don't lie. Lute is the one that whined to get the series cancelled. NAU would be more than happy to play ASU or UA in Flagstaff any year they are man enough to play us at 7000'. The fact that they won't shows what cowards they are.

And before you go dogging on NAU - it is a much better undergrad institution that either of the big boys - you actually have professors teaching your classes, not some TA you can barely understand.

OP
OP
C

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

And sorry to break it to you, but yes, Lute is scared to play NAU in Flagstaff. The facts don't lie. Lute is the one that whined to get the series cancelled. NAU would be more than happy to play ASU or UA in Flagstaff any year they are man enough to play us at 7000'. The fact that they won't shows what cowards they are.

And before you go dogging on NAU - it is a much better undergrad institution that either of the big boys - you actually have professors teaching your classes, not some TA you can barely understand.

I can see it now....

Lute: "Ok guys, let's see here, next years schedule is a tough one and I'm really worried about that NAU game, let's go play at Duke instead"

UofA AD: "Good idea, we are no match for that powerhouse Lumberjack team, let's play Duke and Kansas instead"

When you think of it like that it all makes perfect sense.

They are afraid of the axe!

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

That all stopped after NAU almost beat UA in the mid-80s in Flag.

If memory serves, the last time a Lute Olsen coached Arizona team went to Flagstaff was early in the 1990-91 season and U of A won something like 100-70. So, if that counts as almost beating them, then I guess I'll have to defer to you.

Oh, and by the way, you seem more upset about this than the people associated with the NAU team because I think NAU has travelled to Tucson a couple of times since then.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

As I remember it, the fans at the last game behaved like a bunch of unruly jackasses. They threw all kinds of crap on the floor, held up crude banners, yelled obscenities etc. That is why Lute said he would never go back.

Anyway, what does a program like U of A have to gain by playing the Jokes on the road? Even when they win it most likely would still bring their RPI down. They also lose money because the game wouldn't be televised nationally or regionally. No TV also means less exposure to lure recruits.

They only have so many road games for non-conference opponents. Why waste one playing a small-time program like NAU?

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quitter/Whiner.....at it again!

Originally posted by Renz
As I remember it, the fans at the last game behaved like a bunch of unruly jackasses. They threw all kinds of crap on the floor, held up crude banners, yelled obscenities etc. That is why Lute said he would never go back.

Anyway, what does a program like U of A have to gain by playing the Jokes on the road? Even when they win it most likely would still bring their RPI down. They also lose money because the game wouldn't be televised nationally or regionally. No TV also means less exposure to lure recruits.

They only have so many road games for non-conference opponents. Why waste one playing a small-time program like NAU?

Actually, Lute made his comments BEFORE the game. The banners, etc were in response to his comments. Lute said he would not play NAU again BEFORE.

Why should UA play NAU? Because it is another state-supported school, like UA is. UA has plenty of opportunities to play on National TV, etc. Not every game UA plays in of national importance - don't delude yourself. The state schools should play each other, instead of taking some elitist stand.
And it is exactly because schools like UA won't go on the road and play the NAUs of the world that there is such stratification in college athletics. The Big Boys want to keep all the money for themselves.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice try.

You're facts are flawed. We know that UofA played in Flagstaff as late as the 1990-91 season. We know they won that game by about 30 points (unless you call that an almost win). We know that NAU has gone to Tucson after the game in Flagstaff.

Me thinks your trying to create something that just isn't there.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice try.

You're facts are flawed. We know that UofA played in Flagstaff as late as the 1990-91 season. We know they won that game by about 30 points (unless you call that an almost win). We know that NAU has gone to Tucson after the game in Flagstaff.

Me thinks your trying to create something that just isn't there.

Are you sure about the 1990/91 game? The game Renz was refering to was in the mid 80s - I was at that game.

And yes, NAU does go to Tucson from time to time - anytime it can get a Pac 10 game they take it, always on the road, of course. Last season we played at Tucson and at UCLA, losing to UA, beating UCLA.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's this?

The good folks in Flagstaff are so upset with Lute Olsen that, my my, they are playing in Tucson (again) to open the 2003-04 season.

According to Mike Ardas (AZ Daily Sun 7/23/03), "That's such a good game for us. There's statewide coverage, and we have a lot of alumni in that area. The game makes so much sense for us."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this?

The good folks in Flagstaff are so upset with Lute Olsen that, my my, they are playing in Tucson (again) to open the 2003-04 season.

According to Mike Ardas (AZ Daily Sun 7/23/03), "That's such a good game for us. There's statewide coverage, and we have a lot of alumni in that area. The game makes so much sense for us."

It does make a good game for NAU - but Lute should stop whining and make a return trip to Flag.
Not too mention that there is no one in the athletic department now that was there in the mid-80s, so they don't know the history.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so they don't know the history.

Really. If there was such bad blood, they'd know the entire history.

By the way, it was not the mid-80's when U of A played their last game in Flag, it was the 1990 - 91 season (do you know the history?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard