Quick Thought on the NFL Draft

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Donald had better technique & frame than Oliver did coming out. Oliver does have a quicker get off, though. More athletic in space too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Donald had better technique & frame than Oliver did coming out. Oliver does have a quicker get off, though. More athletic in space too.
Really? I haven’t watched the guy. He’s really quicker and more athletic than Donald??? That’s hard to believe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never liked the argument that you can't take certain positions too high. I remember that same argument being floated around about Patrick Willis in 07 on the old board. Almost everyone agreed he was a very good prospect, but 5 was "too high" to select him. Also completely disagree that an OT can't be taken top 3. In that same draft, I wanted Joe Thomas in the worst way. I think we could've milked another year out of Warner had that guy been protecting his blind side. If you think someone is a stud, you take him. Only exception is if you can trade down for picks and STILL land that same player. That I am cool with

I mentioned that watching him too. I don't know if it is he wears #10, but he just doesn't look like he's 291 pounds. He looks 6'3" but he looks slim, but then that can mean more room to add good functional weight too.

I really like him, he just seems to be a natural, but it really depends what defense we're in if you play him inside or out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oliver is nowhere near his listed height and weight.

I think he's probably pretty close to 6'3" but I agree on the weight. I'm not overly concerned, he's an absolute freak of an athlete. Todd McShay loves him. NFL.com did a bit on his workout stats:

"(Oliver) can broad jump 10-1, the same as safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Miami Dolphins' first-round pick, performed at the combine. Add in Oliver's freakish weight-room strength (650 Squat, 405 Bench Press, 385 Power Clean), and the total package is an ultra-rare combination of physical gifts."

There are online workouts of him with some trainer who calls himself the "footwork king" in the videos the trainer says Oliver is 280 pounds, and he's moving around like he's 190 pounds, he's an athletic freak. Now if he's really say 260 then yeah he might be a tweener.

one of the reasons I prefer him to Bosa is Bosa is pigeon toed, and undersized, TOSU lists him at 270 which is a bit on the small side for an NFL DE. Yeah he can bulk up but I worry about a guy who's pigeon toed adding weight and still being that athletic. Oliver is bigger, and seems more naturally athletic. To be clear I'd take either kid, I don't dislike Bosa, I just think Oliver is a better prospect, part of that may be because Bosa is the son of an NFL player and has an older brotehr in the NFL so I just assume he's had better pro level coaching and has less room to improve. Which may be totally wrong.

Love both of them. There's about 4-5 DL's in this coming draft I think are good enough to go top 10.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? I haven’t watched the guy. He’s really quicker and more athletic than Donald??? That’s hard to believe.

No it's not even close. Donald is the fastest guy off the line in football. Oliver is nowhere near that fast but he looks stronger. He's more Suh than Donald

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Oliver possibly has the quickest get-off I’ve ever seen. He also moves like a SS as well. It’s insane. I can’t put him ahead of Donald yet as a prospect cause Donald’s technique was awesome while Oliver is still working on his.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, I don't have the time to read the entire thread, but it seems to me that you're somewhat like the Cardinals' management in that you both forget about the need for a CB2.

There is no question that the second corner has been weak forever. However I think it’s easier to win with a weak corner than a weak line on either side of the ball. For everyone saying go DL, how do you propose to fix the OL? I believe you have to look at the total pool at available. The front 7 defensive players available in FA will be proven power players. Draft choices are a gamble? They will be an
OL gamble, I know. It’s just there are no FA OL worth gambling and taking. Depending how the draft shakes out there may be an opportunity to move down. This year seems light on QBs, making moving down risky.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no question that the second corner has been weak forever. However I think it’s easier to win with a weak corner than a weak line on either side of the ball. For everyone saying go DL, how do you propose to fix the OL? I believe you have to look at the total pool at available. The front 7 defensive players available in FA will be proven power players. Draft choices are a gamble? They will be an
OL gamble, I know. It’s just there are no FA OL worth gambling and taking. Depending how the draft shakes out there may be an opportunity to move down. This year seems light on QBs, making moving down risky.
Harry what do you think about Humphries as the long term LT? Right now, I see RT and LG needing to be addressed in the offseason as both Smith and Iupati will not be re-signed IMO. I agree that both lines need to be fortified and we need LB's who can play in a 4-3 defense. I feel we also need a legit #1 WR and a #2 CB who could be a #1 in time.

I am interested to see if Golden can come back and prove he can be a DE, if he can't then ARZ needs to find another DE and maybe another DT if Nkemdiche is not re-signed.

I like both Greedy Williams and N'Keal Harry, if ARZ ends up with the #1 pick and maybe finds a trade partner in OAK (who don't need a QB but could be interested in either Bosa or Oliver) and can get their 2 first rounders, they can probably get their #1 WR in Harry and Williams with the second 1st rounder. Then in Round 2 they can get an OT like Isaiah Prince, Andre Dillard or David Edwards.

In FA, they can look at LB's, an OG and maybe a back up swing OT like Cameron Fleming.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry what do you think about Humphries as the long term LT? Right now, I see RT and LG needing to be addressed in the offseason as both Smith and Iupati will not be re-signed IMO. I agree that both lines need to be fortified and we need LB's who can play in a 4-3 defense. I feel we also need a legit #1 WR and a #2 CB who could be a #1 in time.

I am interested to see if Golden can come back and prove he can be a DE, if he can't then ARZ needs to find another DE and maybe another DT if Nkemdiche is not re-signed.

I like both Greedy Williams and N'Keal Harry, if ARZ ends up with the #1 pick and maybe finds a trade partner in OAK (who don't need a QB but could be interested in either Bosa or Oliver) and can get their 2 first rounders, they can probably get their #1 WR in Harry and Williams with the second 1st rounder. Then in Round 2 they can get an OT like Isaiah Prince, Andre Dillard or David Edwards.

In FA, they can look at LB's, an OG and maybe a back up swing OT like Cameron Fleming.

My dude.

Please.

No.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s actually bigger needs for this team than OL.

DT
DE
WR
ILB

All should be in consideration for a OL. LG is probably the only position I would entertain of drafting kind of high(as in a 3rd rounder).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need so much. If we end up with a top 3 pick we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

I love Devin White from LSU he's the definition of sideline to sideline.

N'keal Harry the hometown hero. Good lord we need guys who can actually catch the damn ball.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When’s the last time a team gave up extra picks for either a player or higher draft pick & the team that gave up the picks ended up being the losers?

Eagles-Wentz
Chiefs-Mahomes
Bears-Mack

Doesn’t look like losers to me.

Someone gonna say the RG3-Rams trade, but outside of Brockers, I don’t think the players that were originally Washington’s selections are even on the team anymore.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you look at draft history it’s true that sometimes you can get a dominant receiver early in the draft. However many more can be found in middle rounds. That’s why few are taken early. Fitz is a rare bird; an early sure thing. Looking at DVontel’s list I think the same can be said for ILBs. You don’t get one often, but at least the failure rate isn’t too bad. I feel for you guys who want another corner. I believe you can win with a decent, but not special second corner. The Cards have. Sure I’d like one, but again FA is a surer bet. It really comes down to DL vs OL. I’m not arguing OL is more important, I’m arguing there aren’t FA OLs. It’s rare and they’re old. I agree with all of you salivating over this year’s DL pool. It’s looks to be one of the best ever. When that has happened in the past, since typical NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, teams cut very effective defensive players. This year’s FA defense pool will also be one of the best ever. The Cards have the money to sign 2-3 players who can start and have impact. They can’t sign a premier OL candidate. They are rare with none likely this year. Trading down is not impossible, but the Cards have never done well with that when an early pick is involved.

A few people are seeing an effective OL apparently. I don’t see effective drive blocking, no one fast enough to pull, no one getting to second level blocks and modest pass blocking success. We know how good DJ is. Yes, the play calling is pedestrian but where are the holes? One of DJ’s talents is the jump cut. There is no hole to jump cut into. As to Humphries, his best game was his first game this year. He’s been disappointing. He was better early last year before the injury. Some guys never get it back.