Quick Thought on the NFL Draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like Devin White but not top 3. He’d be a guy to target in a trade down situation.

MLB is just not a premium position worthy of a top 5 pick. Kind of like OG unless it’s a very weak draft.

Generally I agree with that. But a transcendent Mike has the ability to galvanize a defense for a decade, which can't always happen with other position players.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Caught a little of the Tusla / Houston game.

John Randall is a better comp than Aaron Donald for Ed Oliver. Undersized with a motor.

He may get labeled as a tweener for the NFL. Too small to play down, too large to stand up.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Alan Branch was considered a top 5 pick at this point in October of his Junior year. I have learned that nothing counts until after the Senior Bowl

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DL, if anything, should be addressed in the draft. Considering this is the most stacked DL class ever.

I will never ever believe in taking a OL with a top 3 pick in the draft. Not even the greatest OL of my generation(Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson) didn’t go THAT high. Selecting a OL that high is how bad teams stay bad.

Jonathon Ogden disagrees with you

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

John Randall is a better comp than Aaron Donald for Ed Oliver. Undersized with a motor.

He may get labeled as a tweener for the NFL. Too small to play down, too large to stand up.
Huh?? He’s bigger than both Donald and Randall

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
The draft decision should always be the talent/scarcity balance. Don't walk into a draft saying you HAVE to have a better line, therefore our first pick HAS to be OL. That's how bad teams stay bad.

This year since we'll have a top pick, it's got to be DL since that's where the talent will be. We aren't good enough at any spot except for QB (we hope, crosses fingers) to lock into a position.

Anyone here a good OL scout? I have watched some Jonah Williams since he gets mocked to us quite a bit...he looks more back half of the first round than top 5 pick overall to me. His feet didn't look that great when I watched him. I'm not a pro scout but I've spent quite a few hours watching OL play and listening to scouts explain the traits to look for. Did I watch a bad game or 2 or am I just missing his talent? He's not bad, I just see more Cam Robinson than Joe Thomas. Robinson is a good player but not top of a stacked draft good.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm very excited. Doing Friday Night on Bourbon Street and then heading up for the full day on Saturday.

Have a great trip, Kerouac! It’s probably a bit unrealistic, but I would really want to have the same experience one day too, so I kind of envy you. I don’t want to disturb your experience, but as other has suggested, I would really like to know your first hand view on Devin White. If he is there in the later rounds, he looks to be a good selection.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, I don't have the time to read the entire thread, but it seems to me that you're somewhat like the Cardinals' management in that you both forget about the need for a CB2.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If you guys think Rosen is your guy for quite a while, trading down a few spots will probably garner at least one more immediate impact player(s).

Last time I remember doing that...

We passed on Suggs, got 2 #1 picks, and selected Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson.

Definitely don't want to make the same mistake again.

Also don't want to reach (see Levi Brown vs Adrian Peterson).

If one of the high impact players are there (franchise type guys)...I think you have to take them. If they are not and a QB is...then maybe you can parlay that into more picks (provided you make the right selections).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehh I don’t think I would take a ILB top 3
If we were still running a 3-4, I'd agree with you. But the MIKE position in a 4-3 traditionally has a higher value placed on it. If the right dude was available, I could see us drafting a MLB high.

Actually tho - I favor a pure or modified BPA approach to the draft.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Never liked the argument that you can't take certain positions too high. I remember that same argument being floated around about Patrick Willis in 07 on the old board. Almost everyone agreed he was a very good prospect, but 5 was "too high" to select him. Also completely disagree that an OT can't be taken top 3. In that same draft, I wanted Joe Thomas in the worst way. I think we could've milked another year out of Warner had that guy been protecting his blind side. If you think someone is a stud, you take him. Only exception is if you can trade down for picks and STILL land that same player. That I am cool with

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Generally I agree with that. But a transcendent Mike has the ability to galvanize a defense for a decade, which can't always happen with other position players.
Exactly. If you’re talking about generalizations, yeah the value ain’t there. But a singletary, or Ray Lewis, or URL’s her, or keuchly changes your defense. That’s worthy of a high pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s what Aaron Donald was and why he didn’t go higher in the draft. If I recall correctly in draft guides he was listed at 288lbs.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we land a top three pick we stand pat unless offered an outrageous bunch f picks.

pick 1 also means pick 33...pick 3 means pick 35...

we will be in position to land two stud players in this draft.

as always...folks will move up to grab a QB.... there will be a run on OT's and possibly on CB's as well....
with this draft shaping up to be strong in dline...if a few go early many teams will jump on whats left just to make sure they get one....all of those panic moves cause talent to drop

those runs push people back...it happens every year...just this past draft we saw will hernandez and darius leonard both go early in the second...both were expecting to be first round picks

in 2017 CB Kevin KIng, Malik McDowell and Cam Robinson were the top three picks in the second..... I was hard on the train to draft Kevin KIng...he was a steal at pick 33
the year before that, emmanual ogbah, jaylon smith, miles jack...

we need to get the blue chip generational talent on the board with the top pick... then get a solid red chip guy with our second round pick. In the big picture it will do more for our team than if we trade it away and end up with three red chip type guys.
if we were to trade back five spots and end up with Devin white and Greedy Williams in the first I wouldnt complain...but it isnt something to plan on

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not Donald at all the only thing those guys have in common is they play on the D line that's just lazy comparing.

Two very different players with very different bodies who play different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard