Question about Cody

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
One of the things that worries me about Cody is his height. He's listed around 6'4. Most of the elite NT are 6' to 6'2, its one of the reason's I never thought Branch would be much of a NT, at least not 2 down, run stuffer type we need.

You guys pimping him for the 1st round, do you think he'll be able to get low enough to be effective as a NT? I know he's strong, and heavy, and I'm not against taking him, but as I've said before, i'd be more interested in trading back to get him and trying to get another 3rd or so.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Ted Washington = 6'5
Kris Jenkins = 6'4
Jamal Williams = 6'3

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One of the things that worries me about Cody is his height. He's listed around 6'4. Most of the elite NT are 6' to 6'2, its one of the reason's I never thought Branch would be much of a NT, at least not 2 down, run stuffer type we need.

You guys pimping him for the 1st round, do you think he'll be able to get low enough to be effective as a NT? I know he's strong, and heavy, and I'm not against taking him, but as I've said before, i'd be more interested in trading back to get him and trying to get another 3rd or so.

xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Playing with leverage matters more than height.

Cody will be fine at NT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cody is a tough call for me. I am always scared of guys who are overweight their whole career and suddenly before the draft people get convinced the kid will drop the weight and be a great pro. I'm always skeptical if they do drop the weight will they keep it off.

That was always my issue with Jimmy Kennedy, lost a bunch of weight shot up the board, pretty mediocre player.

Some guys get in better shape, get exposed to better nutrition and training and stay in better shape their whole career, just really hard to guess which way a kid like Cody will go.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Don't know who we could trade back with and still get him, given that some believe he will be selected by San Diego.

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I saw in a previous thread, or maybe a scouting report, I've read so much about this, -----I wondered too about his height. The authority being questioned said that Cody's height is not so much of a big deal, because he is a natural knee bender, and that he has tremendous strength in his legs. This is what makes him particularly good for the NT postion. They said he plays out a kind of a squat with his head up, so that his vision is good, but he keeps his center of gravity low with his butt low and knees bent.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw in a previous thread, or maybe a scouting report, I've read so much about this, -----I wondered too about his height. The authority being questioned said that Cody's height is not so much of a big deal, because he is a natural knee bender, and that he has tremendous strength in his legs. This is what makes him particularly good for the NT postion. They said he plays out a kind of a squat with his head up, so that his vision is good, but he keeps his center of gravity low with his butt low and knees bent.

Bottom line... he can't be moved.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

How do you know how strong he is? I do know he outweighed everyone he played against by a lot....but, Why didn't he lift at the combine? You'd think that someone being touted as the top NT would put up some good raw #'s when everyone is being tested. Nope. Meanwhile CB's are putting up to 26@225. He could have shot up his stock undoubtedly. What gives. :shrug:

He's not going to outbig everyone in the NFL.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His stock is dropping like a rock right now while other guys rise up.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

Not sure what you are suggesting with that? Your reply is fail K-9, but don't expect much else from you at this point. Like I said, I like Cody ok, but it is a concern for me, and apparently its crossed other's minds as well.

Shaun Rogers was a much better DT in a 4-3. Washington and Jenkins I'll give you. But some of the best come in shorter.

Hampton 6'1
Franklin 6'1
Gregg 6'0
Wilfork 6'2
Raji 6'2
Pickett 6'2
G. Jackson 6'2

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Playing with leverage matters more than height.

Cody will be fine at NT.

Agreed, and its easier to get leverage when you get lower, and its easier to get lower if you start lower. That was my question essentially, and I trust your knowledge about the draft as much as anyone posting here, so I'm glad you weighed in.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think height is as big a concern for a run stuffing NT. They aren't meant to penetrate so much as take on two blockers and not allow the OLine to get a push up the middle. As long as he is doing that his height isn't an issue.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think height is as big a concern for a run stuffing NT. They aren't meant to penetrate so much as take on two blockers and not allow the OLine to get a push up the middle. As long as he is doing that his height isn't an issue.

Height can easily be an issue if he doesn't play low and with good leverage. If he plays tall, the easier it is for the center and/or guard(s) to get under him, and drive him out of the play or pancake him.

I don't see this as an issue with Cody though, as he plays with very good pad level, keeps himself low and has a natural low center of gravity.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Cody didn't lift at the Combine, did he lift at Alabama's Pro-Day? Did they have their Pro-Day?

http://www.walterfootball.com/proday2010march9.php

Height: 6-4. Weight: 349.
Projected 40 Time: 5.50.
Combine 40 Time: 5.64.
Pro Day 40 Time: 5.62.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
3/10/10: Terrence Cody trimmed yet another five pounds off his massive figure, weighing in at 349 pounds at his Pro Day. So much for not being able to control his weight.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that 22 reps would be a BIG RED FLAG, no?
You would think so. Although Dan Williams struggled with bench press as did Gerald McCoy and neither one of them have seen their draft stock plummet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave