Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Started this last night, Wow! Awesome show

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Didn't think a show about chess could be so entertaining. Taylor-Johnson is also an amazing actress.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It was good, but I found it kinda hard to believe she beat her addiction - just like that :fingersnap:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Through 5 episodes. Really enjoyed the first 4. Five was kinda boring

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this was great. I thought it lost a little steam in episode 6/7, but those first five had me totally entranced and it was still a really solid finish.

I wondered if it was based on a true story while watching the first couple and was surprised to find out it was written by the same author who wrote The Hustler and The Color Of Money. Man... he knows exactly how to paint a picture of a world we haven’t really seen before.

it was just so well done from every aspect... writing, acting, direction, cinematography, set design, etc. very very impressive.

also, when George Miller announced that his Furiosa movie was going to star Anya Taylor-Joy and be a prequel, sidelining Charlize, I was really bummed. I now trust what he’s doing after seeing this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, this was great. I thought it lost a little steam in episode 6/7, but those first five had me totally entranced and it was still a really solid finish.

I wondered if it was based on a true story while watching the first couple and was surprised to find out it was written by the same author who wrote The Hustler and The Color Of Money. Man... he knows exactly how to paint a picture of a world we haven’t really seen before.

it was just so well done from every aspect... writing, acting, direction, cinematography, set design, etc. very very impressive.

also, when George Miller announced that his Furiosa movie was going to star Anya Taylor-Joy and be a prequel, sidelining Charlize, I was really bummed. I now trust what he’s doing after seeing this.

It is supposed to be totally fictional, but there is a lot of history for the writer to draw from. Some say her character is much like Bobby Fischer. But one of the first pioneers for women chess players was Vera Menchik in the 1930's. https://www.chess.com/article/view/... name of the first,Beth Harmon in 1950s-1960s.

And this Iranian gal was a grandmaster at age 18 and in some ways looks the part. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsa_Derakhshani

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, it is probably the best show I have watched in the past 12 months or so at least.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It was funny when you read the story and who it is really based on.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm ok with this at 6 episodes in. Probably finish it tonight.

The lead plays the role well. I am always curious about shows that are filmed this way. Was the point to make a few scenes look like art? Nice..... Now give me a good story.

I don't always feel like she is portrayed well. She seems to be flawed in very predictable ways. That usually doesn't help to hold my attention as much. Drugs, booze, sex. got it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm ok with this at 6 episodes in. Probably finish it tonight.

The lead plays the role well. I am always curious about shows that are filmed this way. Was the point to make a few scenes look like art? Nice..... Now give me a good story.

I don't always feel like she is portrayed well. She seems to be flawed in very predictable ways. That usually doesn't help to hold my attention as much. Drugs, booze, sex. got it.
Ok..... that was a great finish.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
How the hell did they make a show about chess as exciting as the first Rocky movie??
It's funny you make this comparison. Rocky is one of my favorite films and I was spellbound by this show. Couldn't stop watching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave