PS4 tops Xbox One as gamers' holiday choice

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Sony's PS4 tops Xbox One as gamers' holiday choice: Reuters/Ipsos poll

"Asked about their interest in dedicated game devices, 26 percent of 1,297 people surveyed online last week say they are likely to purchase the new PlayStation 4 when available, versus 15 percent opting for the Xbox One."

I guess bad publicity, and a lower initial price point, have people looking for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One. I wonder if Microsoft will reduce their price out of the gate to try to boost pre-release sales.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sony's PS4 tops Xbox One as gamers' holiday choice: Reuters/Ipsos poll

"Asked about their interest in dedicated game devices, 26 percent of 1,297 people surveyed online last week say they are likely to purchase the new PlayStation 4 when available, versus 15 percent opting for the Xbox One."

I guess bad publicity, and a lower initial price point, have people looking for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One. I wonder if Microsoft will reduce their price out of the gate to try to boost pre-release sales.

I find it funny that a lot of 360 owners want to jump ship. Unless there will be massive upgrades to PSN, players playing PS4 games online will wish they had Xbox live again. It is horrible.

I plan on getting both Day 1, but I will get the Xbox version of all platformers.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

They might as well. They changed everything else to try to match Sony.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh w.e

I bet the pool is with a bunch of teenagers too.

XBone for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play games. Lots of em. Lots of media too.

I like xbox more because of xbox live and the controller. Once you get past those two it is a wash in my eyes.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you play games? I haven't seen you ever really comment on games.. Feels like you may be buying the Xbox one for the media instead..

Not many, but I play: Madden, UFC, Tekken, a couple racing games, a couple flying games, some Lego Games, Star Wars Unleashed, Arkham City, etc. Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, the PS4 controller has been improved.

I would hope so

Not many, but I play: Madden, UFC, Tekken, a couple racing games, a couple flying games, some Lego Games, Star Wars Unleashed, Arkham City, etc. Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire...

I LOVE red dead redemption. Cant wait for a sequel (fingers crossed)

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I play games. Lots of em. Lots of media too.

I like xbox more because of xbox live and the controller. Once you get past those two it is a wash in my eyes.
Totally agree! From all I hear the gaming part is pretty much equal. Xbox live is much better and with the media upgrades I don't know why I would choose PS4 over XBone. The only reason would be a lower price point.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree! From all I hear the gaming part is pretty much equal. Xbox live is much better and with the media upgrades I don't know why I would choose PS4 over XBone. The only reason would be a lower price point.

for a minimum 5 year investment, $100 more shouldnt scare anyone but I may be one of the few people that rationalizes my spending by looking in the long term :)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Better exclusives. (In my opinion. The Uncharted series, MLB the Show, etc.) That, and the apps aren't behind a paywall. Paying for Xbox Live just to watch Netflix is ridiculous. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/xbox-one-features_n_3726319.html

And yes, $100 is a significant amount for some.

All of this said I actually own a 360. Just don't think I will be making the jump to the XBOX One.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for a minimum 5 year investment, $100 more shouldnt scare anyone but I may be one of the few people that rationalizes my spending by looking in the long term :)

360 owners made a continual investment trying to get rid of the red ring.. Maybe people have had enough of that? Look, xbox is just an inferior product.. Once you come to terms with that, life will be better.. :D

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
360 owners made a continual investment trying to get rid of the red ring.. Maybe people have had enough of that? Look, xbox is just an inferior product.. Once you come to terms with that, life will be better.. :D
I have both and like both of them. I find myself using the 360 for gaming and all other apps. As for exclusive games I would say that up for each individual to decide which is better. I love the uncharted series but I like the Gears of War way more. As for the red ring that is ancient history and a lesson learned hopefully for all Console manufactures to take there time with development and not to put out a product to quick.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I have both and like both of them. I find myself using the 360 for gaming and all other apps. As for exclusive games I would say that up for each individual to decide which is better. I love the uncharted series but I like the Gears of War way more. As for the red ring that is ancient history and a lesson learned hopefully for all Console manufactures to take there time with development and not to put out a product to quick.

You lost me there. ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better exclusives. (In my opinion. The Uncharted series, MLB the Show, etc.) That, and the apps aren't behind a paywall. Paying for Xbox Live just to watch Netflix is ridiculous. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/xbox-one-features_n_3726319.html

And yes, $100 is a significant amount for some.

All of this said I actually own a 360. Just don't think I will be making the jump to the XBOX One.

Neither of those 2 games interest me really - God of war is the only PS exclusive I like it appears.

I pay for live anyway so not concerned about the paywall for netflix, if I was I would just use a roku. Is the new ps4 gaming thing you pay for not doing the same thing?

Seems to me ps4 wins the budget war by a slim margin. I am more interested in the capabilities and quality of service than I am in saving a few bucks but that is just me.

disagree on all counts, sorry = P

Only had one xbox go red ring and it was 5 years after purchase :shrug:

My original was a launch console as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pre ordered Ghosts. Somehow is comes out november 3rd so I will have it early. Ordered another controller too.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm going Knack, Killzone, Watch Dogs, and NBA 2K14 to start with. Also a second controller and Playstation Plus.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Neither of those 2 games interest me really - God of war is the only PS exclusive I like it appears.

I pay for live anyway so not concerned about the paywall for netflix, if I was I would just use a roku. Is the new ps4 gaming thing you pay for not doing the same thing?

Seems to me ps4 wins the budget war by a slim margin. I am more interested in the capabilities and quality of service than I am in saving a few bucks but that is just me.

disagree on all counts, sorry = P

Only had one xbox go red ring and it was 5 years after purchase :shrug:

My original was a launch console as well.

Some people just aren't really into online gaming. So paying for Live to access the apps is odd, considering Microsoft has been touting the 360 / One as the ultimate media center.

Sony is moving towards charging for online gaming, similar to Microsoft. But they're not going to lock the apps behind a paywall.

The Roku argument isn't really a fair one. I know some people who have a 360 but don't pay for Live. (Actually, myself included. Sorry, but listening to 12 year olds scream profanities at me during COD matches got old. Most of my multiplayer gaming these days is on the PC.) Anyway, requiring a Roku so I can access Netflix, Hulu, etc, is just a strange move. And yes, I also have a Roku. But the TV that we have the 360 & Roku hooked up to is in the bedroom. And fairly "old" (2007 I believe) with only 2 HDMI ports. I ALSO have a HTPC hooked up to it. So if the girlfriend wants to use the Roku box she has to unplug one of the HDMI cables. Annoying inconvenience.

As far as the exclusives? Just comes down to personal taste. I was a HUGE Gears of War fan back in the day. Played the first two games and couldn't wait for the third. In the mean time we picked up a PS3 and I played through the entire Uncharted series. Easily one of the best I've ever played. (Close second to Mass Effect.) Bought a used copy of Gears of War 3 almost a year ago and still haven't gotten more than an hour through. Just doesn't keep my interest for whatever reason. I know. I must be crazy. ;)

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people just aren't really into online gaming. So paying for Live to access the apps is odd, considering Microsoft has been touting the 360 / One as the ultimate media center.

Sony is moving towards charging for online gaming, similar to Microsoft. But they're not going to lock the apps behind a paywall.

The Roku argument isn't really a fair one. I know some people who have a 360 but don't pay for Live. (Actually, myself included. Sorry, but listening to 12 year olds scream profanities at me during COD matches got old. Most of my multiplayer gaming these days is on the PC.) Anyway, requiring a Roku so I can access Netflix, Hulu, etc, is just a strange move. And yes, I also have a Roku. But the TV that we have the 360 & Roku hooked up to is in the bedroom. And fairly "old" (2007 I believe) with only 2 HDMI ports. I ALSO have a HTPC hooked up to it. So if the girlfriend wants to use the Roku box she has to unplug one of the HDMI cables. Annoying inconvenience.

As far as the exclusives? Just comes down to personal taste. I was a HUGE Gears of War fan back in the day. Played the first two games and couldn't wait for the third. In the mean time we picked up a PS3 and I played through the entire Uncharted series. Easily one of the best I've ever played. (Close second to Mass Effect.) Bought a used copy of Gears of War 3 almost a year ago and still haven't gotten more than an hour through. Just doesn't keep my interest for whatever reason. I know. I must be crazy. ;)

I never had a lot of issues with 12 year olds, just muted em. Long ago I actually had a group of guys I always played with that made it a lot of fun but for the past many years - I dont even wear headsets. I still play online for certain games but I have no use for the headset, I just want real competition vs AI. Dont need to talk to em.

Sure, if you buy the console just to play 1player games you may have no use for xbox gold.

It fits my needs perfectly so I am glad it is there. I rarely play stuff online anymore really, I will be playing lots of COD ghosts online though when it comes out.

PS: it has HDMI in, you can plug the HDMI into the xbox and it will still run the roku on the TV if you need to do that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard