PS4 tops Xbox One as gamers' holiday choice

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because paying someone to play games online is stupid.

You realize with PS4 you now have to pay to play online?

What DCR said.

Besides, xbox live seems to always work GREAT. I am fine with paying for a service that will run very smooth any time I want to use it. Been paying for XBL since it first started and have never scoffed at it. Between that and the contant tweaks and improvement they put forward ive always been a happy customer.

To each their own.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in the heck makes the Xbox online so much better? I just don't get it.. I log on and play.. Does Xbox have naked chicks on it or something?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in the heck makes the Xbox online so much better? I just don't get it.. I log on and play.. Does Xbox have naked chicks on it or something?

less lag, better matchmaking, faster servers, lots of stuff.

its just better. And both will cost money on the new consoles.

Beyond XBL the consoles are very comparable.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You realize with PS4 you now have to pay to play online?

I did not so that is good to know. I guess I won't be playing online anymore since paying for something that should be free is stupid. However, the APPs will all be free and my PS3 is more of a streaming / blue ray player for me than a video game player these days anyway.

Faced with:

#1. Having to pay money to watch Netflix or Hulu

#2. The CERTAIN failures of any Microsoft product on it's initial run. It is the same with any product they debut. If you are an initial user you are basically the "Demo Mode" for their product.

#3. Supporting a company that is the antithesis of the used / resale / donate market. I have a good friend at work who is a father of two disabled kids. His wife must stay at home to take care of the kids. He simply doesn't have the discretionary income to buy games so whenever I am done playing a game I give it to him.

Microsoft would want to see you removed with the choice of what to do with items you actually buy.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
less lag, better matchmaking, faster servers, lots of stuff.

its just better. And both will cost money on the new consoles.

Beyond XBL the consoles are very comparable.

All that stuff you described I have never experienced.. That's why I'm wondering what's the difference..

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that stuff you described I have never experienced.. That's why I'm wondering what's the difference..

I never have a problem with the PS3 Network as well and I play big games like Battlefield (or did). Hey whatever justifies ultimately doubling or tripling the price of your console...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe just havent played both? I have played both, likes XBL a lot more. Probably just a preference thing.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never have a problem with the PS3 Network as well and I play big games like Battlefield (or did). Hey whatever justifies ultimately doubling or tripling the price of your console...

That will double and triple the cost of XBone vs ps4? because ps4 charges yearly fees now too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not so that is good to know. I guess I won't be playing online anymore since paying for something that should be free is stupid. .

the old bottled water argument! Online gaming costs money to maintain especially on the massive scale it is on these days.

If your game console is more of a streaming player than anything else you may as well just save yourself a ton of money and buy a roku instead of a console.

To each his own though, I spend my money where I personally find the most value for it. I dont have cable TV because I dont watch it a lot. I dont buy starbucks because coffee isnt work $5 a cup IMO. I do find the XBL service to be worth the money so I dont mind paying for it. Not much else to it.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe just havent played both? I have played both, likes XBL a lot more. Probably just a preference thing.

My buddy has an Xbox and I play over as his place at times.

Only thing I ever noticed was the controller for the Xbox was better than the PS3 once you got used to it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the old bottled water argument! Online gaming costs money to maintain especially on the massive scale it is on these days.

If your game console is more of a streaming player than anything else you may as well just save yourself a ton of money and buy a roku instead of a console.

To each his own though, I spend my money where I personally find the most value for it. I dont have cable TV because I dont watch it a lot. I dont buy starbucks because coffee isnt work $5 a cup IMO. I do find the XBL service to be worth the money so I dont mind paying for it. Not much else to it.

All the sports games and RPGs don't need to be played online. Basically I will miss out on the shooter games I suck at anyway :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an Xbox and I play over as his place at times.

Only thing I ever noticed was the controller for the Xbox was better than the PS3 once you got used to it.
Many people prefer the ps one as well. I love the xbox one because I have large hands and the ps one feels like a toy.

All the sports games and RPGs don't need to be played online. Basically I will miss out on the shooter games I suck at anyway :)

Pretty much. I do enjoy random arcade games online as well like worms, risk, trials and etc.

I dont really like madden online because people do not play like they are really playing a fgootball game.

Racing games are fun online.

Sounds like skyrim/oblivions next release is going to be online.

I rock the shooters-already reserved ghosts. Havent played new cod in years so should be fun.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a PS3 and absolutely love it, but I've been leaning toward the Xbox One, mainly for the Kinect functionality. I don't do online games and use the PS3 more for media viewing rather than gaming (although I have a lot of games).

Mainly doing the switch because of Kinect and trying something different. I loved my xbox back in the day, but I never got a 360.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started clearing a spot in our game room to setup a new entertainment center for the new Xbox One.

Scored a practically new Leather Theater Seating set off craigslist today and it's sitting in my garage right now. I'm upgrading my 52" flat panel in the family room this week. So I put together a new TV stand for the 52" that I'm moving up to the game room.

Now all I need is the new Xbox to arrive!

Attachments

• theaterseats.jpg
    theaterseats.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 57

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jealous! Those are cool and a room dedicated to the xbox would be sweet. Gaming will be fuin but now movie night will be fun too!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jealous! Those are cool and a room dedicated to the xbox would be sweet. Gaming will be fuin but now movie night will be fun too!

I just set them up in the game room last night and the kids spent an hour sitting in them pretending like they had their new Xbox. So I told them who needs an Xbox when you have such good imaginations but they didn't like that idea so much. LOL

We have a massive game room 20'x30' that has pretty much been overrun with toys since we have had kids. My pool table has been covered with junk for years. :bang:

So I'm finally converting it into a true "game room" now that the kids are getting older. Going to have the Media center with the Xbox and theater seating on one side and my pool table/dart board on the other.

Now I just need to get up there with a bunch of garbage bags and toss all of the old toys the kids don't play with anymore.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I can tell the difference

Your over-resolutioned TV

Let's bring this back to TVs.
Depending on technology, a 1080p 50-inch flat panel TV's pixels are approximately 0.023 inch wide. This is presuming they're square (many aren't) and that there's no intra-pixel distance (there is). The plasma I photographed for the lead image above measured 3 pixels per 1/16 inch, which is 0.021 inch per pixel. So we're in the ballpark.

Most people sit about 10 feet from their television. At 10 feet (120 inches), your eye can resolve an object 0.035 inch wide, if like I said above, there's enough difference between it and the background (or its adjacent pixel, in this case). The memories of the Westwood school system that told me I was bad at math compels me to show my work, so feel free to check my math:

2 x pi x 120": 753.98" (circumference of a circle, with you at the center)
753.98 / 360: 2.0944" (360 degrees in a circle)
2.0944 / 60: 0.0349" (60 minutes in a degree)

This math, or just looking at your TV, tells you that you can't see individual pixels. What's interesting is that a 720p, 50-inch TV has pixels roughly 0.034 inch wide. As in, at a distance of 10 feet, even 720p TVs have pixels too small for your eye to see.

That's right, at 10 feet, your eye can't resolve the difference between otherwise identical 1080p and 720p televisions. Extrapolating this out, you'd have to get a TV at least 77 inches diagonal before you'd start having a pixel visibility problem with 1080p.

Or, you can move closer. Beyond being a math exercise, let's be realistic. No one's going to sit 6 feet from a big TV. I'd doubt 7 feet, either. So if we say 8 feet (96 inches), or 0.028 inch on the resolution side, this means you'd need a TV that's bigger than 60 inches to really benefit from 1080p.

So if your eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on nearly all modern televisions, what's the need for 4K?

Is there a size/distance where you can see the difference in detail, below the raw pixel-size numbers? Possibly; it depends a lot on the content, the display, and the person. Remember, we're not talking about just being able to see something, we're talking about being able to resolve it. You might be able to see a single pixel-width black line on a white screen from great distance, but two black lines separated by a single white line will appear as a single black line. That's detail, and if you're too far away to see it (or the screen isn't big enough), then it's being wasted.

On the other hand, "seeing pixels" also means seeing the pixel structure around objects, square blocks for curves, that sort of thing. So there is such a thing as too close/too big, but it's much farther/bigger than most people realize.

The real world tends to get even more vague, which we'll get to in a moment.

4K 4 U, K?

So if your eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on nearly all modern televisions, what's the need for 4K?

Excellent question. There isn't one. Not as far as TVs go, anyway. You'd need a 2,160p TV over 154 inches diagonal before you'd be able to see the pixels. On a 4K 50-inch TV, the pixels would be roughly 0.011 inch wide.

Where's the crossover where 1080p and 4K become noticeable? It's not exact because of all the above mentioned variables, but suffice it to say at 10 feet, it's somewhere well above 77 inches.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366319-221/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thx for that, helps make sense of it. I need to measure my sitting area one day as I believe I am about 15 feet from my tv and when I do pull up a closer chair I am likely 8-10 feet away. This information along witht he information on the soap opera effect will help greatly with me making the proper decision on what tv to buy in the spring for my new living room (the 47inch is going into the kids living room)

My goal is to get a big enough tv that I can finally read the print on video games from 15 feet away, on the current tv a lot of video game print is just too damn small. I could end up just buying a nice swivel chair with wheels that I can park halfway in the living room when playing video games.

It seems that the soap opera issue will want to be on during football games and nature shows and etc to reduce blur and off when watching movies. I wonder which will be better for gaming.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be stating the obvious, but how is your vision?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be stating the obvious, but how is your vision?

20/20, solid, no issues.

I still didnt measure the living room but a lot of games will have fine text on the screen and with my 47" times my distance, you can see it but you have to squint and concentrate when the text is typically meant to be seen briefly while the action continues, not something that you have to focus and read. Its 100% a tv size and distance issue, A chair closer will solve the problem for now and a bigger tv likely happens in spring.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, good for you. Some of us have had corrective lenses since grade school, but go ahead and show off if you must. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard