Prometheus (aka Alien prequel)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Finally saw it. I am also disappointed with it. I supposed that means the Aliens vs. Predator series isn't canon anymore? I mean, those guys were fighting it out in prehistoric times, but in this universe, the Xenomorphs haven't really been created yet?

The Engineers only seem to be able to create by destroying. Death must precipitate life's creation. So while the explorers may have interpreted their findings as a WMDs meant for Earth, maybe the Engineers saw the black goo as the key to a do-over with humanity.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw it. I am also disappointed with it. I supposed that means the Aliens vs. Predator series isn't canon anymore? I mean, those guys were fighting it out in prehistoric times, but in this universe, the Xenomorphs haven't really been created yet?

I'm pretty sure the Alien v. Predator films were never supposed to be taken as cannon along with the rest of the Alien franchise. Those movies were just flat out cash grabs with no one from previous Alien movies affiliated in them, be it cast, crew, writer or director.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Alien v. Predator films were never supposed to be taken as cannon along with the rest of the Alien franchise. Those movies were just flat out cash grabs with no one from previous Alien movies affiliated in them, be it cast, crew, writer or director.

Lance Henriksen: (Aliens: Bishop) (Alien 3: Bishop II) (AVP: Charles Bishop Weyland) was the attempt to tie them together, I guess. I know my mind kept going back to him throughout Prometheus.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance Henriksen: (Aliens: Bishop) (Alien 3: Bishop II) (AVP: Charles Bishop Weyland) was the attempt to tie them together, I guess. I know my mind kept going back to him throughout Prometheus.

oh yeah... forgot about Bishop. Wait... how could he have been Bishop in Alien 3 and Bishop in AVP? Those movies took place like at least 100 years apart, didn't they?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
oh yeah... forgot about Bishop. Wait... how could he have been Bishop in Alien 3 and Bishop in AVP? Those movies took place like at least 100 years apart, didn't they?

I think we just found a good reason not to consider AVP canon. :D

Edit: I am a nerd. I Wiki'd the Weyland boys:

Bishop: Android build by Alien 3 Weyland.
Alien 3 Weyland (Charles): Supposed descendant of AVP Weyland (founder of the company).

Prometheus Weyland (Peter): No relationship to the other Weylands stated, but he is also said to be the founder of the company.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well..... they renovated my local theater and didn't tell the interwebs. Only option I had was 3D and I refused. I just hate those glasses over my actual glasses.

I will have to reschedule.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So it took me an extra 6 months.... lol BUT I was entertained. The staples thing made me laugh though. Maybe the technology has come a long way? :shrug:

My wife has not see the others. I made her watch this first. I think the next two are going to blow her mind after this one.

1st 2/3rds were solid. Not mind blowing. Last third was a bit crazy for my tastes.

I got the Alien Anthology blu ray set off of Amazon back in November for $20. I can't wait for my wife to see how much better the next two will be.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched it, I really enjoyed it. The dude with the mapping probes getting lost did pop out as being absurd (hopefully that gets explained somehow in an extended cut) but the rest of the complaints I think are typical of any action/sci-fi movie that asks for a suspension of disbelief.

As for the staple running... she did appear to take about a gallon of painkillers.

What confused me more was the sudden "you have 2 minutes of oxygen remaining" part. She JUST was inside the alien ship with her helmet off like 2 minutes earlier and she blew through her air that quick? And you'd think the suit would be able to filter out the CO2 and allow in the huge amounts of oxygen they stated was in the air. But most of all, what was the point of the oxygen warning in the script? Its not like she was not going to stroll to the life-pod anyway.

Also, I'd love to know what David says to the engineer, David had said to Shaw that everyone wants to see their parents dead, then he says something that gets his "dad" Weyland killed... I understand the engineer scene has a much longer cut with some back and forth dialog

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched it, I really enjoyed it. The dude with the mapping probes getting lost did pop out as being absurd (hopefully that gets explained somehow in an extended cut) but the rest of the complaints I think are typical of any action/sci-fi movie that asks for a suspension of disbelief.

As for the staple running... she did appear to take about a gallon of painkillers.

What confused me more was the sudden "you have 2 minutes of oxygen remaining" part. She JUST was inside the alien ship with her helmet off like 2 minutes earlier and she blew through her air that quick? And you'd think the suit would be able to filter out the CO2 and allow in the huge amounts of oxygen they stated was in the air. But most of all, what was the point of the oxygen warning in the script? Its not like she was not going to stroll to the life-pod anyway.

Also, I'd love to know what David says to the engineer, David had said to Shaw that everyone wants to see their parents dead, then he says something that gets his "dad" Weyland killed... I understand the engineer scene has a much longer cut with some back and forth dialog

The first time I watched the movie I found myself picking it apart after it ended. The second time I watched it I realized that despite feeling let down once the movie ended, I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent watching it. So, all in all, I've decided that bad movie or not, I love it.

Steve

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest Trailers on Prometheus

Absolutely kills it.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Apparently there were scenes edited out that explain them getting lost and their stupid behaviors after that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... seeing this in the theaters, it was a decent experience. visually it was pretty stunning and atmoshphere wise, Scott did a solid job for the first 2/3s of the movie and the abortion scene was a great scene, but having just watched it again on HBO, it comes off as one of the most half-baked idiotic movies of all time.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... seeing this in the theaters, it was a decent experience. visually it was pretty stunning and atmoshphere wise, Scott did a solid job for the first 2/3s of the movie and the abortion scene was a great scene, but having just watched it again on HBO, it comes off as one of the most half-baked idiotic movies of all time.

Good to hear. I was planning on rewatching this on HBO to see if I was having a bad day when I saw it in the theater. However you confirmed my original thoughts on this movie and saved me some time.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Prometheus AKA Klay Thompson.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,383
Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked it. I sat back and didn't try to pick it apart since I knew what I was getting into before I saw it. Visually stunning and intriguing. I think trying to attach it to the Alien series does the film injustice, it stands on it's own.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard