Prometheus (aka Alien prequel)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Variety, 20th Century Fox plans to keep the "Alien" franchise alive with a prequel film that will be directed by original helmer Ridley Scott.

The announcement that Fox has hired a writer comes just two months after the 30th Anniversary of Scott's original sci-fi horror film which launched a series of movie sequels, a number of comic books, and two movies that pit the Aliens against Fox's other creature franchise, the Predator.

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts has been hired to write the prequel after the studio was impressed by his work on two space thrillers, both for Keanu Reeves, called Passengers and Shadow 19.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm mildly optimistic that Scott can turn this around and make everybody forget everything in the series after the second one.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting. I always thought that going back into the story with a prequel would've been the more interesting choice after Alien3.
Glad to hear that Ridley's attached to it obviously.
I wonder if the story will link to the derelict spacecraft in the original Alien.....Ridley has said before that he thought the backstory of the Space Jockey alien would make for an interesting direction to take the franchise.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As of now, the script is up to it's fourth draft, and the graphic design stages of the film has started. The film is set in the year 2085, and will explore the origin of the "Space Jokey": the fossilised alien being found in the derelict ship in Alien. The Weyland-Yutani company as seen in the Alien films has yet to be formed, and thus the film will follow the "Weyland" corporation, prior to it's merger with "Yutani". Scott explained. "[The film] is about the discussion of terraforming taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life."

Ripley will not be in the film, as her character has yet to be born, but the main character will be a woman. The alien is going to be redesigned. The film will be in theaters by end of 2011 or find the best date in 2012.

Scott has also confirmed that this film will be the first of two Alien prequels

Most recently when asked what the film would be about, Scott responded it would be about, "gods and engineers... engineers of space... were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would actually go in and clean up a planet?" He added that the film would trake place on a planet called Zeta Reticuli.

Taken from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/faq#.2.1.1 which quoted from multiple sorces and links.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/news#ni2224837

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I see that Charlize Theron is in this...a pretty nice choice if the thought was to carry on the whole "Sigorney formula."

All i'm really hoping for is a solid Ridley Scott sci-fi horror film.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that Scott is back directing it gives me hope that this may redeem the duds that have been put out recently. Nothing has even come close to the first two. In fact those first two are probably my all time favorite SciFi Flicks.

The trailer has me so pumped up. Plus I love Charlize Theron! That alone has me excited about this film.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Very interesting. I always thought that going back into the story with a prequel would've been the more interesting choice after Alien3.
Glad to hear that Ridley's attached to it obviously.
I wonder if the story will link to the derelict spacecraft in the original Alien.....Ridley has said before that he thought the backstory of the Space Jockey alien would make for an interesting direction to take the franchise.

Am I in the minority for loving Alien 3 as well? I mean, it was David Fincher's first feature film, who up to that point had been directing music videos. And it had a stellar cast. Also liked the dog alien to mix things up a bit.

Yes, the studio totally screwed over his vision after the fact, but you could see early signs of Fincher's brilliance come through.

After that, the series went to total crap. Looking forward to getting back to the original roots, where suspense trumped action in the series.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I in the minority for loving Alien 3 as well? I mean, it was David Fincher's first feature film, who up to that point had been directing music videos. And it had a stellar cast. Also liked the dog alien to mix things up a bit.

Yes, the studio totally screwed over his vision after the fact, but you could see early signs of Fincher's brilliance come through.

After that, the series went to total crap. Looking forward to getting back to the original roots, where suspense trumped action in the series.

Each to their own. I loved Aliens, liked Alien and liked Alien:Resurrection but I hated Alien 3. I did love the first Alien movie when it originally came out but it doesn't hold up well for me so nowadays I guess I probably like the idea of it more than the movie itself. It's one of those movies that instead of a Director's version would benefit from an Usher's cut where it wraps up in a 100 minutes or less. The 4th movie becomes more than just watchable (IMO) if you stop thinking of it as part of the series.

Steve

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I disliked Alien 3 but then when Alien Resurrection came out it made part 3 look like an all time classic. I hated that 4th movie, garbage from start to finish.

This movie looks like it will be awesome and I can't wait to see it.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one was it that was in the prison camp? Besides the first 2, I liked that on too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one was it that was in the prison camp? Besides the first 2, I liked that on too.

That's Alien 3. I hated the movie. At least I think I hated it. It was the last movie I saw at a drive-in and it started as the sun was setting. Not a great venue for an already dark movie. The fourth one was called Alien: Resurrection and I think I'm pretty much the only fan of that one. What can I say, I like most everything Joss Whedon is involved with.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part 3 is way underrated.
Totally agree....but only if we're talking about the 2003 special edition assembly cut. Its about 30 minutes longer and for good reason. There's a large plot-driven middle piece that was cut out of the theatrical version....as well as a few other quality smaller scenes. I also think the tweaked ending is a little better here than the theatrical version.
Special "Assembly Cut" Edition (145 mins)
This version of the movie does improve the overall experience of watching Alien 3. The crash landing of the EEV is extended, that shows you far more of Fiorina and the conditions that the inmates and staff have to deal with. The Alien is introduced in a completely different manner, via an ox instead of a dog. There is also an extended capture scene, which gives Paul McGann's character a larger story arc. There is also more character development that reveals more about the inmates.
http://www.kelwick.karoo.net/TheUsher-SpeaksClassic/TheUsherSpeaks-Alien3.htm

The theatrical version just doesn't make much sense IMO. Its a mess.

I like the darker themes of Alien 3....and Charles Dutton is very good.
Of course it looks great with Fincher directing....its too bad he didnt have more influence over the execs on this though. He was directing and shooting it as the script was still being written....and rewritten. Horrible situation for a young director.

Alien Resurrection is the weakest of the four films IMO...but it has its moments of fun....which is probably why i didnt care for it much.:)

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
That's Alien 3. I hated the movie. At least I think I hated it. It was the last movie I saw at a drive-in and it started as the sun was setting. Not a great venue for an already dark movie. The fourth one was called Alien: Resurrection and I think I'm pretty much the only fan of that one. What can I say, I like most everything Joss Whedon is involved with.

Steve

I am with you on that one, but I think the studio again interfered with his script in the end and screwed things up. The original 5 or 6 endings he wrote all ended on Earth.

I guess there are two types of Alien movies: action-oriented and thriller/horrors. I love the thrillers more than the action versions. That is why 3 holds worked for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I enjoyed ressurection.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably should change the title of this thread no? I mean they have already said this movie is in the same "universe" but not really a prequel right?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ship they find looks the same....

Totally agree. However, I thought I read where they said that design choices were meant to hint to the audience that this movie could exist in the same universe but it's not actually a prequel.

I admit thought I have not kept up to date on the new on this movie. It could be RS just messing with people up until the movie comes out. He could have been just trying to throw people off the scent.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Totally agree. However, I thought I read where they said that design choices were meant to hint to the audience that this movie could exist in the same universe but it's not actually a prequel.

I admit thought I have not kept up to date on the new on this movie. It could be RS just messing with people up until the movie comes out. He could have been just trying to throw people off the scent.
I think you hit the nail on the head. IIRC the original script announced was about space terraforming,and very vaguely resembled a prequel screenplay.

I know about as much as you do about what this actually is....but from what i can gather from news and this trailer is its a film set prior to "Alien" which tell's the story of the how and why the derilect ship(from Alien) was there,and possibly how the xenomorph badass **** aliens came to get there as well.

Honestly i dont know,and i'd prefer to just see a quality sci fi horror film(please!) that stands on its own but maybe connects a few dots in the process.

Prometheus might be a letdown to those Alien diehards(like myself)....but with Ridley attached to it i bet it wont suck . :D

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I'm calling it now... David (Michael Fassbender) is a android...

I'm pretty sure this is a prequel... I could be wrong (often am) but it certainly looks like it. The alien ship looks like it crashes and has the huge alien sitting at the helm (guessing that is the helm seat)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard