Problems with site....

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Personally, I've noticed nothing on my computers that would indicate this site has a virus.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some virus programs will be downloaded at one website, pick an address from your favorites or history, and then activate when you go to that site. I'd guess that's what happened to you.

Yup!

alan_we

Admin
Reaction score
Okay, and the fact that the site has been hacked and is trying to hack individual PCs...?

We've checked and we have no reason to believe the site has been hacked.

the link is the forums main page... It happens right as the ad's load. It redirects you to a web page that looks like windows explorer and gives you a bogus virus count on what they want you to think are your local drives.

I went to the forums main page - here - and everything worked fine. I did so both logged in and logged out to make sure I wasn't enjoying any "admin" preference. I got no redirection or any other kind of weird behavior.

I have reasons to believe the issue has to do with a virus you got elsewhere and is affecting your browsing experience, at ASFN, and probably elsewhere.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, well, PC Cillin is a top-notch protection program. Every time ASFN hacks my computer, PC Cillin scans and removes all of those threats. It has even now labelled ASFN as a dangerous website, and I generally won't even try to open those websites again.

Like I said, I love ASFN and don't want to leave. Some people think it might be an issue with my computer, and the Admin is strangely somehow certain of it (I don't know how he can be certain my PC is at fault?). How? How is it that one and only one website tries to attack my computer? If this is some mystery virus that seems to be fooling a top computer protection program that is up-to-date, how should I locate it and eliminate it? Assuming the dubious claim that this is the fault?

I have real doubts about all of this. This site seems off, and has seemed off for a while now.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Okay, well, PC Cillin is a top-notch protection program. Every time ASFN hacks my computer, PC Cillin scans and removes all of those threats. It has even now labelled ASFN as a dangerous website, and I generally won't even try to open those websites again.

Like I said, I love ASFN and don't want to leave. Some people think it might be an issue with my computer, and the Admin is strangely somehow certain of it (I don't know how he can be certain my PC is at fault?). How? How is it that one and only one website tries to attack my computer? If this is some mystery virus that seems to be fooling a top computer protection program that is up-to-date, how should I locate it and eliminate it? Assuming the dubious claim that this is the fault?

I have real doubts about all of this. This site seems off, and has seemed off for a while now.

Stout, I visit this site on a regular basis from two computers, a laptop and desktop. One uses Webroot and the other uses Mcafee. I also scan my computers for malware threats using Malwarebytes regularily.
I am very aware of my computers security and stay on top of it.
That being said, I have never seen an inkling of a threat from this site.

Do I have issues with way some things are now handled on this site? Read my posts. :D
Security is not one of them though.

On a side note: I had a laptop, that I wound up selling, about a year and a half ago that came with PC Chillin preinstalled and I hated the program. So much so that I uninstalled it.

Maybe try some of the free programs out there, AVG etc, and see what they tell you.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its not this site attacking your PC stout. GUARANTEED!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still haven't read an explanation otherwise, sorry. ONE website. Only one.

Stout I bought a laptop cheaply over two years ago. Its what I use to peruse this sight regularly during lunch at work and many hours on the road during training camp etc.. etc... I havent put any protection on it since the 90 day mcafee that came with it ran out. No spyware mallware or virus protection of any kind. All I do on it is peruse this site and the various sports websites. I have not been zeroed in on or attacked or spammed in any way. Don't you find that a little odd when my computer is wide open and there for the taking?

BTW you have been given very plausible explanations from other posters on here. You just aren't accepting them.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, Shane, you are a contributor, and therefore the ads are blocked from you, whereas for Stout they are not. If there was something fishy with one of the ads, you wouldn't know it anyway.

However, I am pretty certain that the problem is not with ASFN...the number of non-contributors far outweigh the contributors, and if there was a problem like that, we'd have an uprising.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would the site only attack a select few computers and not all? I'm not saying it didnt. Just doesnt seem to make sense?

Could depend on what antivirus or firewall you have? My antivirus blocks it but tells me that it blocked an attack. it's not windows in my case it's Norton.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I just added the IP address to my 'blocked' sites in tools|Internet Option|Security|Restricted Sites. the IP was 91.212.127.45...

Oh yeah, it is happening again...

Stout

Reaction score
Stout I bought a laptop cheaply over two years ago. Its what I use to peruse this sight regularly during lunch at work and many hours on the road during training camp etc.. etc... I havent put any protection on it since the 90 day mcafee that came with it ran out. No spyware mallware or virus protection of any kind. All I do on it is peruse this site and the various sports websites. I have not been zeroed in on or attacked or spammed in any way. Don't you find that a little odd when my computer is wide open and there for the taking?

BTW you have been given very plausible explanations from other posters on here. You just aren't accepting them.

The only real explanation has been that some viruses supposedly latch onto on website but only on one computer. Well, I don't have any viruses and it wasn't only on my computer. So :shrug:

Stout

Reaction score
And oh by the way, I bumped into another poster over on the Cards board, who has experienced the exact same problem, and mentions that he has heard of other posters encountering the exact same problem. That is NOT a me problem; that is a SITE problem. Sadly, I'm sure it will be passed back on me in a poor attempt at diverting attention away from the problem.