Bidwill at a Crossroad

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
"Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see..."

Now in the midst of making his third head coaching hire as president and CEO of the Arizona Cardinals, Michael Bidwill is at a crossroad.

He says that the nine candidates he and GM Steve Keim have interviewed over the past two weeks are the finest group of candidates he's ever seen. If local reports are accurate, apparently Bidwill and Keim have narrowed their search down to three finalists: Pat Shurmur, Steve Wilks and Mike Munchak.

Bidwill vows to take a methodical approach in order to find "the right fit."

He wishes to host all three finalists on visits to Arizona so that he can show them the Cardinals' state-of-the-art facilities, to dig deeper into what makes each candidate tick and to see what kind of camaraderie he and Keim sense while trading stories over steaks and Merlot.

Here is what Ian Rapoport wrote today in his twitter blog:

Arizona Cardinals

This is the most open and methodical search, with owner Michael Bidwill stating publicly he's taking his time. Expect full second-round interviews and no fast deadline. Shurmur is expected to be one finalist, and Wilks and Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak are well-regarded in Arizona. They could be finalists, as well. Defensive coordinator James Bettcher is the top in-house candidate, and Bruce Arians has stumped for him. Based on their deliberate pace, Arizona does face the prospect of losing out on a preferred candidate (possibly Shurmur) if the Vikings lose and they don't accelerate their search. That said, the last candidate they interviewed during their previous search -- Bruce Arians -- worked out just fine.

Notice Rapoport's caveat: "Arizona does face the prospect of losing out on a preferred candidate (possibly Shurmur) if the Vikings lose and they don't accelerate their search."

As Shakespeare would say, "the tide waits for no one."

Bidwill maintains that his deliberate search in 2013, waiting to be the last of 8 teams to hire new head coaches was a boon. Rapoport corroborates this by saying "their previous search---worked out just fine."

Which begs the question---is a 1-2 playoff record over the past five years a scenario that worked out just fine? Even by Bruce Arians' own All or Nothing standards, despite an impressive 50 wins and one NFC West title, a 1-2 playoff record over the past five years doesn't exactly feel like things worked out just fine.

Bidwill also has to be wondering why the Cardinals could not maintain a level of success under Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians.

The pattern here is alarming. Once each coach started winning, Bidwill awarded them and their staffs lucrative contract extensions...and in both cases those decisions backfired. Whisenhunt's last two years were poor. Arians' were, by comparison, a little more tolerable due to late season wins in meaningless games, but still, the Cardinals went from being a Super Bowl contender right back to being the underachieving, self-destructive Cardinals of old.

In both cases, Bidwill has shown his willingness to eat the contracts of the coaches who have years remaining. But that's certainly a pattern he would like to avoid, if possible, in the future. It wouldn't be surprising, in light of Bidwill's generosity, if he gave BA a nice little severance package in aiding BA's decision to retire. Regardless, Bidwill is willing to push forward even when it means paying backward.

Bidwill also has to be wondering what went wrong in the years following the team's biggest successes. After losing to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, the following off-season was a near disaster. Kurt Warner was so underwhelmed by the Cardinals contract offer that he and his wife flew to San Francisco to be wooed by the 49ers. Yes, Warner wound up staying in Arizona, but Warner recently admitted that by mid-season of the next year he and his wife knew it would be his last, even though he signed a two year contract. Warner also admitted a long time ago that the contract negotiations were demoralizing.

The off-season following the Cardinals' embarrassing loss to Carolina in the NFC Championship game was in some ways equally disappointing, especially in considering a draft which included Bidwill's own approval of taking DT Robert Nkemdiche in the 1st round and CB Brandon Williams in the 3rd round. Even though the #2 CB position has been a glaring weakness for years, the FO and the coaches felt that Justin Bethel (whom they had signed to a $5+M a year contract) was the answer at that critical and most vulnerable spot. As we know, Bethel waited too long to get surgery on his foot, missed training camp and the super raw (rushed in there way too soon) Williams started game one versus the Patriots and got toasted. BA would later call Bethel a "failure in progress" and would later concede that the opening night loss to the Patriots, aided and abetted by Steve Keim's decision to go with an undrafted rookie long snapper, was a loss the team could never recover from.

The reality is that the Cardinals, throughout their history as a franchise, have not been able to sustain a level of success for more than three years. The tenures of Bidwill's first two head coaching hires ended the same way...on down years with each coach claiming "the system works" or "we don't change for anybody."

Bidwill and Keim avow they want to build a team that is a Super Bowl contender every year. Keim asserts that he "owes it to the fans."

However, are Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim assertive enough in the way that they approach their work? This year it was reported that Bidwill had his eye on Sean McVay last year when BA's health was in question. It was impressive to hear that---but it feels the same it felt when Steve Keim said he had a high grade on Russell Wilson and the Cardinals almost took him on day 2 of the 2012 draft...hmmm the same he year they drafted Ryan Lindley instead.

As we know, McVay is up for coach of the year honors for leading the Rams to the NFC West title. Yet, Bidwill made a curious statement in his most recent press conference when he said, "We don't copycat anyone." One must imagine that was in reference to this year's young, energetic and upcoming HC candidate, John DeFilippo...curious too that a week prior to BA's retirement, the buzz was that if BA retires Bidwill and Keim are interested in two possible candidates: Bill O'Brien (if let go by the Texans) and John DeFilippo.

Who wouldn't want a young catalyst like Sean McVay?

Who could care less if it is perceived as copycatting?

Maybe Bidwill was trying to justify why DeFilippo is not one of the three reported finalists?

But this is a significant hire for Bidwill. With the Cardinals sinking toward the bottom of the NFC West, it would be extremely refreshing if he and Steve Keim know exactly who what coach want and they go after that coach with every ounce of aggressiveness and conviction they have.

The let's wait and see, deliberate approach smacks of indecision. And as they say, "over-analysis causes paralysis."

And if the Cardinals pick their head coach last again this time, the worry is, as Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker wailed:

I went down to the crossroads
Tried to flag a ride
Down to the crossroads
Tried to flag a ride
Nobody seemed to know me
Everybody passed me by

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch - Interesting take, but I'm not sure I buy all of it.

But that that's OK - Anyone who can find a way to tie blues favorites like
Crossroads to an analysis of Cardinal Football mgt can't be all bad.

To put it another way -

I expect to see Cardinal Football in 2018 contain a lot of "Rollin' & Tumblin'."

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"but it feels the same it felt when Steve Keim said he had a high grade on Russell Wilson and the Cardinals almost took him on day 2 of the 2012 draft...hmmm the same he year they drafted Ryan Lindley instead."

Keim wasn't GM. That was Rod Graves' last draft.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
"but it feels the same it felt when Steve Keim said he had a high grade on Russell Wilson and the Cardinals almost took him on day 2 of the 2012 draft...hmmm the same he year they drafted Ryan Lindley instead."

True, but Keim said he should have pushed harder for Wilson and regrets that he didn't.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

I feel like this story has become legend, with plenty of Steve Keims help

In the Russell Wilson draft, the Cards had just acquired Kevin Kolb in the offseason for a 2nd round pick. the Seahawks drafted ahead of the Cards in the 3rd, so unless Keim was advocating that Wilson should have a 1st round grade, and, the Cards should take him there...that was really the Cards only chance to get him.

Lindley was a 6th rounder (or later?). That a late round QB draft pick didnt work out isnt a valid criticism of any GM.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole Graves thing provides a unique context:

My major gripe about Rod was that he wasn't very proactive about fixing our OL for once & for all.

SK was far more proactive about making changes, but where did that leave us? (With several gaps in our OL lineup)

What to do? Stay the course? Blow up the whole deal? Neither strategy has worked. So what do we need to do?

Hire an OL guru to evaluate OL talent better? (We did that with Russ Grimm. How'd that work out)?

Only thing else I can think of might be to hire a respected assistant or HC from a team with a tradition of solid OL's and go from there.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like this story has become legend, with plenty of Steve Keims help

In the Russell Wilson draft, the Cards had just acquired Kevin Kolb in the offseason for a 2nd round pick. the Seahawks drafted ahead of the Cards in the 3rd, so unless Keim was advocating that Wilson should have a 1st round grade, and, the Cards should take him there...that was really the Cards only chance to get him.

Lindley was a 6th rounder (or later?). That a late round QB draft pick didnt work out isnt a valid criticism of any GM.
No it wasn't. We got Kolb in 2011 and Wilson was drafted in 2012. The 2nd round pick was for 2012 though.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Keim and Co. are going to be left holding the bag, while everyone else makes their coaching selections. There's a fine line between being patient, and overly tentative. As of right now, it seems MB and SK are more on the tentative side in a situation where time is of the essence and no candidate is going to sit on the sidelines playing with their thumbs waiting to hear back from the Cards. SK hasn't been drafting well, and his penchant for signing old vets that oft get injured is getting, well, old...it's time for him to step up and hire his guy, before he's long gone.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the Saints beat Vikings this weekend will SK close the deal on Shurmur?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
So if the Saints beat Vikings this weekend will SK close the deal on Shurmur?
They'd want to bring him in for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th interview...at which point he will have already been signed by the Giants.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The whole Graves thing provides a unique context:

My major gripe about Rod was that he wasn't very proactive about fixing our OL for once & for all.

SK was far more proactive about making changes, but where did that leave us? (With several gaps in our OL lineup)

What to do? Stay the course? Blow up the whole deal? Neither strategy has worked. So what do we need to do?

Hire an OL guru to evaluate OL talent better? (We did that with Russ Grimm. How'd that work out)?

Only thing else I can think of might be to hire a respected assistant or HC from a team with a tradition of solid OL's and go from there.

As has been pointed out though, rookies like Cooper and Boehm showed potential, then faded away. Is that coaching or talent evaluation?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim and Co. are going to be left holding the bag, while everyone else makes their coaching selections. There's a fine line between being patient, and overly tentative. As of right now, it seems MB and SK are more on the tentative side in a situation where time is of the essence and no candidate is going to sit on the sidelines playing with their thumbs waiting to hear back from the Cards. SK hasn't been drafting well, and his penchant for signing old vets that oft get injured is getting, well, old...it's time for him to step up and hire his guy, before he's long gone.

Weren't they "holding the bag" when the ended up with Arians?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sustained success comes with one thing and one thing only... a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

A great D will get you into the playoffs every couple years (see the Ravens)... but the teams that are there for 5 plus years have a franchise QB:

Pats - Brady
Steelers - Big Ben
Packers - Rodgers
Falcons - Ryan
Saints (to a certain extent) - Brees

It’s crucial we finally find one.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can we even make an offer to Shurmur as long as the Vikes are playing?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Sustained success comes with one thing and one thing only... a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

A great D will get you into the playoffs every couple years (see the Ravens)... but the teams that are there for 5 plus years have a franchise QB:

Pats - Brady
Steelers - Big Ben
Packers - Rodgers
Falcons - Ryan
Saints (to a certain extent) - Brees

It’s crucial we finally find one.
Boom. You win the day!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm glad Winslow Arizona has the song. Not much else to see after old route 66 in Winslow was bypassed by Interstate 40.

Too bad. It happened to a lot of communities. I miss old route 66.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...slow-arizona-lives-on/?utm_term=.c162cfadbf2d

I moved to Flagstaff in 1986 (still live here). A co-worker who lived here way before me, and me would drive to Kingman on old route 66 and drive thru "emerald city". That was his name for Peach Springs. It came from all the broken beer and wine bottles that sparkled in the setting sun.. Sorry, just had to add that little tidbit.:)

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved to Flagstaff in 1986 (still live here). A co-worker who lived here way before me, and me would drive to Kingman on old route 66 and drive thru "emerald city". That was his name for Peach Springs. It came from all the broken beer and wine bottles that sparkled in the setting sun.. Sorry, just had to add that little tidbit.:)

Thanks for the tidbit.

I don't drive there often but when I do I always seem to get turned around. The roads do not seem to go in a straight line probably thanks to the railroad tracks, rolling terrain and old route 66. Also perplexing to me, businesses are often found in residential areas.

It all adds to the charm and beauty of the city though.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. Not until they are out.
So basically, if Shurmur is the top choice there is nothing we can do about it at this time. The cards setting up second interviews for other eligible coaches, could very well could be due diligence on a plan b, rather then feet dragging?? Or am I just naive?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave