Pressure on Keim

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Now that the Cardinals are reportedly signing OC Mike McCoy under the auspices that the Cardinals will be "very aggressive" through free agency or via a trade (as HC Steve Wilks avows) to acquire their QB, a great deal of weight falls on Steve Keim's broad shoulders.

What is so curious about the hiring of McCoy is that he finds himself this year in a nearly identical situation he was in last year with the Broncos---becoming the veteran OC under a newly appointed first-time defensive oriented HC (Vance Joseph) who came to the job with one year of DC experience.

The only major difference this time around for McCoy is that he inherited a trio of QB with the Broncos (2016 starter Trevor Semien, 2016 1st round draft pick Paxton Lynch and 2012 2nd round pick Brock Osweiler), whereas in Arizona the QB cupboard is bare.

Word is that McCoy likes Osweiler and wants to sign him as a free agent. If that's the case, Osweiler should not command top money this time around and could be the bridge QB for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. But, is the signing of Osweiler going to excite and raise the confidence of the players and fan base? Could Osweiler, with a vote of confidence from McCoy, suddenly become a diamond in the rough?

McCoy favors an offense that is very similar to Josh McDaniels' offense in New England. It's an offense predicated on creating a strong balance between the running and passing games, one that takes full advantage of the RBs and TEs in the passing game and one that tries to lure the safeties up to the second level so as to take some deep shots over their heads.

In Denver last year, Vance Joseph made it clear to McCoy in training camp to "put the players first, the scheme second." The way Joseph demanded this from McCoy it sounded very much like a warning, and in retrospect, it was indeed a warning due to the fact that McCoy was fired in mid-season for what seemed to be putting his sophisticated scheme first and the players second. One Broncos' beat reporter described McCoy's voluminous playbook as a tome that "would make the Cheesecake Factory menu blush."

There was a great deal of frustration that McCoy was not focusing the offense enough around their prolific trio of RBs, C.J. Anderson, Devontae Booker and Jamal Charles. The running game never quite got on track and the RBs were not being utilized nearly enough in the passing game.

So, let's get back to the QB conundrum. If Steve Wilks is correct that the Cardinals are going to be "very aggressive" in FA or via trade and the draft to address the QB position---could the signing of castoff UFA QB Brock Osweiler be considered a "very aggressive" move? Hardly, right?

The most aggressive move Keim could make would be to try to reunite McCoy with his QB in San Diego, Philip Rivers. Keim, a fellow NC State alum, loves Rivers. Who doesn't? Rivers is 36, he has two years left on his contract @ $15M (2018) and $16M (2019)...which, in terms of today's QB salaries is a flat-out bargain. Rivers passed for over 4,000 yards again last season at 62.6%, 28 TDs, 10 ints., a QBR of 96.0.

The Chargers have been focusing a great deal of their attention on drafting Rivers' successor this year. One of the QBs they reportedly are enamored with is Wyoming's Josh Allen. The Chargers, however, pick 16th in the first round, and would likely have to trade up to select Allen.

What if Keim offered the Chargers the Cardinals' 1st round pick, #15, to the Chargers for QB Philip Rivers? What that would do for the Chargers is give them a back-to-back package of picks which could enable them to move up to take their QBOF. But would they be willing to move on from Rivers in favor of a rookie when their defense is starting to dominate? No. But, who knows? I couldn't hurt to ask.

In Denver, the word is that they are going to try to do everything they can to sign QB Kirk Cousins. Whether they are able to do that or not, they apparently are not happy with Paxton Lynch and would like to trade him. Lynch, per the Broncos' beat reporters, is not well liked in the locker room. His play in 2 starts this year was up and down. Before injuring his knee he passed for 295 yards, @ 66.7%, with 2 TDs, 3 ints. and a QBR of 72.0.

Lynch did not start any of the games while McCoy was OC. Word in training camp was that Lynch was having trouble picking up the playbook. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? But, just the same, it would be interesting to know Mike McCoy's thoughts on Lynch, because chances are Lynch could be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick. And he has three years left on his rookie contract.

In free agency, the absolute best fit for McCoy's offense, is Kirk Cousins, because of his pinpoint accuracy on short and intermediate passes. Which begs the questions, is McCoy and his style of offense enough of a lure for Cousins? And, could Steve Keim win the bidding war for Cousins over the likes of the Broncos, Browns and Jaguars? All this, assuming the Redskins back out of the picture.

if the Bills release Tyrod Taylor, he could be a very good fit. His TD to INT ratio is superb, and with a very good defense as he had in Buffalo, he could win a lot of games.

If the Vikings choose to move on from Case Keenum, as there appears to be growing sentiment that the Vikings would like to re-sign Teddy Bridgewater, there could be a natural fit for Keenum in McCoy's offense. Sam Bradford is a potential match as well, if he can finally stay out of the tub. But, if you sign Bradford to be the bridge to a 1st round rookie QBOF and he gets injured again, well, then the clock starts early for the QBOF. So be it, right?

In the draft, at #15, the Cardinals could have the opportunity to trade up to snatch Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield, or they could find matches for McCoy in Oklahoma St.'s Mason Rudolph or Washington St.'s Luke Falk. Even though some draft gurus feel that Rudolph and Falk could slide to round 2, the odds are they will be off the board by the 47th pick.

The wild card at #15 remains Lamar Jackson, if he is on the board. At first glance it wouldn't appear that Jackson would be a match for Mike McCoy's offense, but, in light of how creative McCoy was in helping Tim Tebow get on a roll as far as to win a playoff game over the Steelers, maybe the drafting of Jackson is a possibility.

Whatever the case may be, if there ever was "Keim Time"---that time is now. Keim gift wrapped the arrival of Carson Palmer to BA. Now Keim needs to hook up Steve Wilks and Mike McCoy with a starting QB who can go head to head and toe to toe with Wilson, Goff and Garoppolo.

In the Shawshank Redemption, when Red describes Andy Dufresne's remarkable escape, he talks about Andy's fascination with geology and Andy's true understanding that geology is a study of "pressure" and "time."

Well, in relating this to the 2018 Arizona Cardinals and their potential escape from the celllar of the NFC West, in terms of passing "the rock" this off-season should prove to be a study of "pressure" and "Keim."

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In Denver, the word is that they are going to try to do everything they can to sign QB Kirk Cousins.

Please oh please

it then becomes a fight between the Cards and Wash on who gets to trade up into the top 10 to get one of the top 3 QBs

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we understimate McCoy, we should look forward and not in the past
To be honest didnt have a talented kid to grow, u cannot make miracle with tebow,sorensen and other mediocre material
Maybe he turn to be the right coach to develop a first round qb

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Maybe we understimate McCoy, we should look forward and not in the past
To be honest didnt have a talented kid to grow, u cannot make miracle with tebow,sorensen and other mediocre material
Maybe he turn to be the right coach to develop a first round qb

To further quote Red, "I hope...I hope...I hope..."

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I hope Steve Keim puts his big GM pants on because he will have to build a great team to get average production on the offense. I see Buddy Ryan offense in our future with Wilks and McCoy. Run Run Pass Punt

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If they in Brock for anything other than backup, I'm going to flip.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either McCoy was unable to develop the QB's he had or was not forceful enough to convince the Denver braintrust to spend for better QB talent.

Suggests that (1) Mike needs to be less passive relating to Cardinal mgt and/or (2) Wilks and Keim may have to proactively encourage more aggressive input from McCoy.

Or (hopefully not) McCoy may have to become a better evaluator/developer of QB's.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There was a great deal of frustration that McCoy was not focusing the offense enough around their prolific trio of RBs, C.J. Anderson, Devontae Booker and Jamal Charles. The running game never quite got on track and the RBs were not being utilized nearly enough in the passing game.
In the games McCoy was OC the Broncos ran for 140, 178, 111, 143, 46, 69, 177, 35, 118 and 112 yds. The three bad games were all games were they ran 17-19 times and were down early and lost 20-3, 21-0 and 51-23. In the 10 games McCoy was OC the RBs had 44 receptions on 60 targets, not sure where an average of 6 RB targets a game ranks.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Either McCoy was unable to develop the QB's he had or was not forceful enough to convince the Denver braintrust to spend for better QB talent.

Suggests that (1) Mike needs to be less passive relating to Cardinal mgt and/or (2) Wilks and Keim may have to proactively encourage more aggressive input from McCoy.

Or (hopefully not) McCoy may have to become a better evaluator/developer of QB's.
McCoy was the OC in Denver for half a season last year, not sure how he had any say in how they spent or acquired on QB talent.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

To be fair to McCoy, I can see that happening in Denver. John Elway was a QB and seems to dictate to those below him. Just a guess, but that's the impression I get.

That shouldn't be the case here as we make 'Cardinal decisions'. There is a place for his input, or at least the HC's.

I'm guessing that's close to the opposite of the structure in Denver where Elway would make the call, and the coach's would have to make it work or get fired... quickly.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't buy the Osweiler nonsense for one second. That was probably put out there by someone trying to sabotage McCoy (Elway)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, the only guy that would create a buzz and fill the definition of “aggressively going after a QB “ would be to sign Cousins and to a lesser extent Alex Smith. Cousins would bring instant credibility to the team at the QB position ( in spite of what some on this board thinks). It would solve our QB problems for years to come. The baggage of course is his salary would limit what we could add this year. How much would it affect what we could add next year? I don’t know. Any other QB we sign will be await and see situation and force us to draft a QB this year. If the “bridge” fails and the rookie pick stinks, well we would turn into Cleveland West. Signing Cousins may not help us instantly become a super bowl contender but the QB foundation would be set and we could finally start to build around him

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch, the only guy that would create a buzz and fill the definition of “aggressively going after a QB “ would be to sign Cousins and to a lesser extent Alex Smith. Cousins would bring instant credibility to the team at the QB position ( in spite of what some on this board thinks). It would solve our QB problems for years to come. The baggage of course is his salary would limit what we could add this year. How much would it affect what we could add next year? I don’t know. Any other QB we sign will be await and see situation and force us to draft a QB this year. If the “bridge” fails and the rookie pick stinks, well we would turn into Cleveland West. Signing Cousins may not help us instantly become a super bowl contender but the QB foundation would be set and we could finally start to build around him
I like the idea of Cousins for FA too, he would be our best bet to make us competitive this year. Then we could trade down and stock pile picks because his signing will not only restrict us from other quality FA;s but he gives us the freedom to draft BPA and for Keim to get cute and draft is annual small school projects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I agree, slanidrac16. I am having a hard time envisioning Cousins signing with the Cardinals over the Broncos and other teams. I would be very excited if he does. The tough part, as we both know, with Alex Smith is having to (a) give up a 1st or 2nd round pick and (b) signing him to an extension at a time when his stock is at an all-time high (which likely means he plays on his scheduled salary at $17M this year and then having to put the f-tag on him in 2019 if they can't agree on a 3-4 year deal in the $24M a year range).

My top scenario is to sign Tyrod Taylor to a 3 year deal and draft Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson as the QBOF. For Mayfield, it might mean trading up in the draft (which I am ok with). I think Jackson, Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk will be available at #15. I see enough talent in all 4 of those QBs that it's fine with me if they draft one of them at #15 or higher (Mayfield).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, slanidrac16. I am having a hard time envisioning Cousins signing with the Cardinals over the Broncos and other teams. I would be very excited if he does. The tough part, as we both know, with Alex Smith is having to (a) give up a 1st or 2nd round pick and (b) signing him to an extension at a time when his stock is at an all-time high (which likely means he plays on his scheduled salary at $17M this year and then having to put the f-tag on him in 2019 if they can't agree on a 3-4 year deal in the $24M a year range).

My top scenario is to sign Tyrod Taylor to a 3 year deal and draft Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson as the QBOF. For Mayfield, it might mean trading up in the draft (which I am ok with). I think Jackson, Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk will be available at #15. I see enough talent in all 4 of those QBs that it's fine with me if they draft one of them at #15 or higher (Mayfield).
Mitch - T Taylor, Mayfield and Jackson are mobile type QB's. Can we assume you feel that they'll fit a McCoy offensive system? Or do you feel S Wilks has something else in mind & McCoy will just have to get with the program?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

No matter whether people want the Cardinals to sign Cousins or not, Mitch is right that he is a fantastic fit in McCoy’s seemingly preferred offense.

I really think the Browns should go hard after Cousins, and maybe my thought process would apply for the Cardinals as well. I see Cousins as a good quarterback who can stabilize an offense and deliver above average performances week in and week out. Like you imply, he is not the best quarterback in the league, but I think some fans need to realize that there simply are not 32 people in the world that can play quarterback at the level of Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. At least Kirk Cousins is better than most alternatives.

My point as it relates to the Browns is that they shouldn’t go for the gold right away since they are so far away from being a Super Bowl-contender. I think it’s too much of a risk. If they can stabilize their offense for at least some years, then they can start to ease a younger guy into their offense. I don’t even think signing Cousins should necessarily exclude them from spending a high draftpick on another quarterback who they can groom for some time.

I know the Browns have a much different salary cap-situation than the Cardinals, and that the Cardinals are not nearly as far away from being really good as they are, but maybe this theory can be transferred to the Cardinals anyway.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch - T Taylor, Mayfield and Jackson are mobile type QB's. Can we assume you feel that they'll fit a McCoy offensive system? Or do you feel S Wilks has something else in mind & McCoy will just have to get with the program?

i think Wilks is adamant about running the ball and will want a QB who can run when necessary. After all, Wilks saw how a running QB in Carolina won games. I was surprised Wilks tabbed McCoy...I don't think it is natural fit---but I think McCoy's adaptability with Tim Tebow is a real plus in his favor. Wilks will most assuredly ask McCoy to cater the offense to the strengths of the players.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Wilks' charisma may be what McCoy needed in Denver as well. I think that they will be able to work well together and hopefully McCoy is able to take the next steps in taking the offense to the next level. He will need the QB obviously, but there are no shortage of vets out there for the upcoming season. I'd really like to see what he could do with Mayfield or Lamar Jackson also. They'll have some weapons here.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Wilks' charisma may be what McCoy needed in Denver as well. I think that they will be able to work well together and hopefully McCoy is able to take the next steps in taking the offense to the next level. He will need the QB obviously, but there are no shortage of vets out there for the upcoming season. I'd really like to see what he could do with Mayfield or Lamar Jackson also. They'll have some weapons here.

Excellent post, WildBB! That is the hope!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard