Prejudiced Against Kyler Murray?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is true he wasn’t my choice for the first pick. He is unquestionably playing great football. My issue with the title comment is the word “prejudiced.” My questions about Murray were legitimate and shared by many talent evaluators. The problem is “prejudice” is it’s unfounded and subjective. My comments haven’t been that. I’ve posted Murray is the best running QB I’ve ever seen. My issues have all been about technique and focus, especially with regard to passing.

Murray has dramatically improved in many technical aspects. One of the biggest being he’s getting better at keeping his eyes downfield and pulling up before he throws when he has room. He’s made several big plays that way. This was not what he did early on, he just ran or threw off his back foot. He has also done a better job of using his progressions to make better target choices. Finally his ball placement has improved considerably, allowing more YAC and reducing interceptions.

Is he now the perfect QB; no. He still runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. He still throws to heavily covered receivers. He doesn’t always identify zone coverage. All that said, he is clearly among the most impactful QBs in the league. If he can sustain this level of play the Cards will be the playoff team I said they would be this past summer. Is he the MVP? He’s certainly one of the front runners, but there are 13 games left. Remember last season. Sustaining performance over a long season has to be learned. The Cards brought in all these vets for that very reason. They know what it takes.

I’ve been a Cards’ fan for over 50 years. Of course I want Murray and all the other Cards to succeed. I try to be objective in my evaluations. Murray was very inexperienced when chosen. He had much to learn. He has learned a substantial amount of what he needs to win consistently. He needs to continue his skill set improvement and not allow himself to be distracted by people looking to already crown him MVP. Let’s make the playoffs first. The O-line is already experiencing injuries. A 17 game season won’t increase durability. How will Murray respond to less protection? Hopefully he keeps his focus.
Yes, it’s early and there’s a long way to go. But, KM has, as you said, dramatically improved. In fact, he’s improved each of his seasons so far. I had some doubts his first 2 seasons. But so far this season? I think he’s put down the stature/inexperience concerns, at least IMO. The game seems to really slowed down for him. I don’t think anyone with any sense really thinks he’s a “perfect” QB. But, he’s pretty darn good.

It also appears that he has matured and learned from his early petulance and handles the press much better. That comes with age and learning the hard way.

All in all, I am very glad KM is the QB and hope he is for a long time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
U were talking about how good was his cast and u add many other qbs would look great there
How do u know that
Considering i don't see qbs more talented then him
The line btw was not so great
Lamb is pretty good and Hollywood has some potential, but even other receivers looked good with him
the line was great.... it was a college line and they all got drafted....most nfl lines are made up from the very best and every player on the line is from a different school...and most college lines dont even have a single player drafted into the nfl... but all of those guys were

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your post formatting is hard to comprehend but my point is that it wasn’t crazy to think his supporting cast wasn’t a big reason of his success. Mayfield had just gone #1 the year before and Hurts was putting up prolific numbers the year after. Obviously the cast helped but Kyler is proving he’s everything that people who loved him as a prospect would be.
u wrote
"WR Lamb - 1st rd
WR Hollywood - 1st rd
RB Sermon - 3rd rd
LT Evans - 3rd rd
LG Powers - 4th rd
C Humphrey - 2nd rd
RG Samia - 4th rd
RT Ford - 2nd rd

A lot of QB’s would look great in that situation"

Pretty sure was your opinion before Murray was drafted, that rised some doubts on u
Great weapons and protections can make a qb great but he can do the same in the nfl with a below average team?

Personally, i knew he was great, without considering the players he played with, cause his arm and accuracy plus the insane quickness

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But lets get to the real issue...Spit the ******* dick out Lou... gad damn man

every evaluation is based on an individuals observation and personal experiences. questioning the focus of a young QB is normal,...especially when he joins an esports team....is esports an issue?? obviously not,.... but absolutely normal to expect outside influences to be a distraction for a young guy that still has lots to learn.
First off please be respectful or I'll resort to being disrespectful as well. He's a grown man he can answer for himself.

We are talking predraft before kyler was ever drafted. What was Kyler's focus issue?

Judging by your post then EVERY PLAYER EVER DRAFTED has a potential focus issue. So why is it unique to Kyler.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
@juza76 I’m not sure what we’re arguing about at this point. Sounds like we acknowledge he was in an incredible situation and I’m acknowledging it had no bearing on what he is today.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
First off please be respectful or I'll resort to being disrespectful as well. He's a grown man he can answer for himself.

We are talking predraft before kyler was ever drafted. What was Kyler's focus issue?

Judging by your post then EVERY PLAYER EVER DRAFTED has a potential focus issue. So why is it unique to Kyler.
every player ever drafted DOES have a focus issue when they come into the NFL...thats part of the reason you see scouts and coaches questioning a guys maturity

respect///hmmm,...hard to show respect when someone continually feels the need to rub a guys face in a call he made in the past that may not have been correct. in kylers case there are a couple guys on this board who like to do that...in Harrys case, the man has decades of league experience to draw on....his takes aint always right, but they are always worth consideration,...and yet he gets attacked because someone disagrees with him or has a man crush on a particular player...... I dont care about getting disrespectful,..ask anyone, my autistic ass is the most ghetto ************ on this board, hell lets do it. Ill win.
Harry on the other hand will just fade away.....and that would suck, especially in the middle of a great season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing I like about Murray is he’s so “well spoken” def not a “thug” like that other guy.

He’s just an athletic freak. I’m trying to come up with a nickname to give him comparing him to an animal I just can’t think of one yet.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
every player ever drafted DOES have a focus issue when they come into the NFL...thats part of the reason you see scouts and coaches questioning a guys maturity

respect///hmmm,...hard to show respect when someone continually feels the need to rub a guys face in a call he made in the past that may not have been correct. in kylers case there are a couple guys on this board who like to do that...in Harrys case, the man has decades of league experience to draw on....his takes aint always right, but they are always worth consideration,...and yet he gets attacked because someone disagrees with him or has a man crush on a particular player...... I dont care about getting disrespectful,..ask anyone, my autistic ass is the most ghetto ************ on this board, hell lets do it. Ill win.
Harry on the other hand will just fade away.....and that would suck, especially in the middle of a great season.
1. No one attacked him. I asked him a question.
2. Harry claimed he was accused of being prejudice towards Kyler. By who? Where?
3. I just posted this in another thread about another poster
Eh...its too soon for threads like this. No one should rag on you for an old opinion and you've done a good job being fair the last couple of years imo.
4. The only thing I pointed out in Harry's post is that he spoke of his concern about Kyler predraft and then followed it up at the end that he's still concerned about his focus. Like why? Maybe he'll still be good, maybe he wont. However, that post seems more like trying to validate his original point if Kyler fails for whatever reason. He may fail but who is to say thats the reason. Seems more like a prepared I told you so.
5. I really like Harry regardless.
6. You're very sensitive/defensive about the issue so we can keep it moving or no longer discuss this topic. No need of me getting banned for dissing someone on a message board. Not that big of a deal. I like it here. Enjoy your day.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That he thought his superstar talent would instantly translate into the NFL on a bad team.

Even if he was that cocky, he wouldn't have been that far wrong. He won Rookie of the Year.

I was making the point that it wasn’t crazy for ppl to think his talent wouldn’t translate to the NFL. My bad for typing it out poorly. It had nothing to do with what Kyler himself thought. If a QB isn’t narcissistically confident to a certain extent I wouldn’t want him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people will always question Kylers focus with his love of video games and the fact that he speaks fondly of baseball when asked about it.

I don't get that as every player has outlets in his free time. Would it somehow be better if he was partying in hot tubs and strip clubs? I actually think some older fans would find that more acceptable. IDK. Just a feeling I have.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"Running QB"? His QB rating is 115.0. His completion percentage is a sick 76%. He's a passer first. By a mile. Always has been, always will be.
Agree 100%. Anyone that watched this kid at OU & even in HS never questioned his ability to throw a football or his mechanics throwing the football. So, I cringe when some people questioned us picking a running QB with the 1st overall pick.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It was Lincoln Riley who encouraged him to run more the 2nd half of his last year in college. Kyler for the most part stayed in the pocket until then.

OMG SoonerLou, did you just watch that man? OMG!

Down by 18 at the half the Sooners come storming back to win the Red River Rivalry!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My name is SECTION 11, and I like Kyler Murray.
The support group is now in session.

My name is TheOaken1 and despite my misgivings at his drafting I like Kyler Murray.

Actually just got in a bet with my son to get an authentic stitched game jersey if we beat the niners tomorrow. But wouldn’t ya know it. They don’t have my size in a Murray so I’m gonna have to get a Simmons instead

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OMG SoonerLou, did you just watch that man? OMG!

Down by 18 at the half the Sooners come storming back to win the Red River Rivalry!
Absolutely amazing. As I said here a few weeks ago Rattler was having a tough time and Caleb Williams is probably the answer to the OU offense. Great game.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing. As I said here a few weeks ago Rattler was having a tough time and Caleb Williams is probably the answer to the OU offense. Great game.

What is it about the RRR that just produces such sick games like that? It's so crazy!

OU completes the comeback, and 20 seconds later, then takes the lead after a TO. It has all the momentum in the world. But then, the TX offense, dead in the water the entire 2nd half, bombs their way down the field to tie it up 48-48 with under two minutes to go? Are you freaking kidding me?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
But his running adds a dynamic that differentiates him from every other QB. It's not like he's only a deadly pocket passer. How can he kill you? With his legs too. That's what is meant by a running QB. And his running is by far a bigger morale killer than his passing.
This is all true, but the term "running QB" has connotations of someone that relies heavily on running to be effective. Think along the lines of a Kaepernick type player. That term was being thrown around pre-draft as a knock on Murray that he will get injured because he is a "running QB". Of course anyone who watched him at OU would have seen that he is a passer first and always protects himself when he does take off and run.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1. No one attacked him. I asked him a question.
2. Harry claimed he was accused of being prejudice towards Kyler. By who? Where?
3. I just posted this in another thread about another poster

4. The only thing I pointed out in Harry's post is that he spoke of his concern about Kyler predraft and then followed it up at the end that he's still concerned about his focus. Like why? Maybe he'll still be good, maybe he wont. However, that post seems more like trying to validate his original point if Kyler fails for whatever reason. He may fail but who is to say thats the reason. Seems more like a prepared I told you so.
5. I really like Harry regardless.
6. You're very sensitive/defensive about the issue so we can keep it moving or no longer discuss this topic. No need of me getting banned for dissing someone on a message board. Not that big of a deal. I like it here. Enjoy your day.

Finito

ASFN Lifer​

JoinedOct 23, 2005Posts12,607Reaction score7,266
Except Harry's an industry insider, so his opinion and knowledge draws water around here.
Harry is also very clearly biased. I don’t take any stock to his opinion on Kyler.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Lifer​

JoinedOct 23, 2005Posts12,607Reaction score7,266

Harry is also very clearly biased. I don’t take any stock to his opinion on Kyler.
Disregard those what are saying negative stuff Harry. The vast majority of this board wants to hear your opinion.

We may not always agree, but we know you have contacts and have likely forgotten more about football than most of us even know. You're truly a treasure to this forum.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One more thing. If I were picking today, having seen his performance, of course I would take Murray with the first pick. I was clearly wrong, I also missed on Aaron Rodgers. Of course I had quite a bit of company on that pass.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
One more thing. If I were picking today, having seen his performance, of course I would take Murray with the first pick. I was clearly wrong, I also missed on Aaron Rodgers. Of course I had quite a bit of company on that pass.
I was wrong on Rodgers too. Thought he was just the next in line of Jeff Tedford quarterbacks to put up great college numbers only to fail in the nfl

But I do think sitting behind Favre for a few years changed his fate