Practice 7/30/13

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to go see my first practice today. I thought it was a great experience and totally recommend checking it out if you can.

Some of my notes:

• Fitz was catching everything during then one on one drills in the endzone drawing cheers from the crowd.
  • Michael Floyd looks so much better than at this point last year. I can really see the potential there.
  • PP lookeded great in coverage on the one on one drills. Was on the receivers like glue.
  • Speaking of PP, I was shocked at how much time he got with the offense. All of a sudden you would see a guy with a white smock pulled over his jersey running routes. Then after the play was over he would rip it off and line up on defense. The dude is a pure athlete and never looked tired!
  • DC Jefferson drew the ire of Coach Arians after jumping offsides. This was the second time in a row that someone on the offense jumped and I though Arians head was going to explode.
  • I thought Jim Dray looked pretty solid out there catching passes.
  • Housler had a drop that he should have caught.
  • Offense looked pretty sloppy during the 11 on 11 drills.
  • Alphonso Smith is playing like a man on a mission and it shows. Ryan Williams better be worried.
  • Karlos Dansby made a nice play to almost intercept a pass. It's great to see him out there but I kept forgetting he now wears #55.
  • Ellington missed an assignment allowing an easy sack for the defense.
  • Jaron Brown made some nice catches. Then on one series had one drop after it hit him in the chest because he didn't turn his head fast enough and then on the next play let one bounce off his hands for an easy INT.
  • Jay Feely hit all of his field goals.
  • Will Baston is a terrible punter and Zastudil has nothing to worry about.
Overall my impression is the Offense has a ways to go. This was especially clear during 11 on 11. It just didn't seem that the QB and the WRs were on the same page. I watched the offense more than the defense so I can't really comment much on them.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report MCD.

Like hearing positives about Floyd.

Hope this offense can start to put it all together. At least the coach is all over them.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winston moves to the first unit

It took only four practices before the Cardinals moved newly signed veteran right tackle to the first unit, supplanting Bobby Massie. There Winston was Tuesday for the Cards’ fifth practice, next to guard Paul Fanaika (who is in for the injured Daryn Colledge) as the Cardinals continue to evaluate what they want to do with the offensive line.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/07/30/winston-moves-to-the-first-unit/

Well, that didn't take long.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So I'm considering making the trip to practice on Saturday, any tips you wish you would have known in advance? Is there a schedule posted anywhere?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks MCD for the recap.

I'm a little surprised that Winston has already been moved to the 1st unit.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was Mendenhall and S Taylor?

Both looked really good. Mendenhall is clearly the cream of the crop. However Taylor looked good as well and it appeared like he had good vision. Hard to tell for sure when there is no tackling

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw the post about Ellington missing a blitz pick up, resulting in a sack. Unfortunately that makes it two days in a row that that happened. As for Feely making all his kicks, Somers, I believe, posted that Jay is struggling and the team might look to bring in another kicker.

Revenge of the Birds in their assessment of yesterday's practice, or maybe I read it on the Republic site, said that Antoine Cason impressed in yesterday's practice and that he and Powers are locked in a battle to start at CB opposite PP.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the post about Ellington missing a blitz pick up, resulting in a sack. Unfortunately that makes it two days in a row that that happened. As for Feely making all his kicks, Somers, I believe, posted that Jay is struggling and the team might look to bring in another kicker.

Revenge of the Birds in their assessment of yesterday's practice, or maybe I read it on the Republic site, said that Antoine Cason impressed in yesterday's practice and that he and Powers are locked in a battle to start at CB opposite PP.
Never did like Feely that much.

Nice to have a CB battle. I remember the old days when we had no depth and scrubs playing at CB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw the post about Ellington missing a blitz pick up, resulting in a sack. Unfortunately that makes it two days in a row that that happened.
Practicing in Glendale puts every player under a pretty intense public microscope. Raises an interesting question: "At what point do one or two miscues during the first week or so of practice morph from a red flag into a genuine area of concern?"

I believe #13 dropped a couple of gimmes in a row during yesterday's practice. Is he finito?

Hmmmm.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Never did like Feely that much.

Nice to have a CB battle. I remember the old days when we had no depth and scrubs playing at CB.

Amazing that the Cardinals simply could not find someone even average to play opposite Aeneas Williams. Then he left and we haven't had the same two CBs play two years in a row since.

But then that's true about almost every position except WR where the Cards seem to always have good players.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Amazing that the Cardinals simply could not find someone even average to play opposite Aeneas Williams. Then he left and we haven't had the same two CBs play two years in a row since.

But then that's true about almost every position except WR where the Cards seem to always have good players.

What about Tom Knight!!!???

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What about Tom Knight!!!???

He's being inducted into the Hall of Worst First Round Draft Picks at halftime of the Cowboys game. Along with Wendall Bryant and Clyde Duncan.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's being inducted into the Hall of Worst First Round Draft Picks at halftime of the Cowboys game. Along with Wendall Bryant and Clyde Duncan.

Don't forget Steve Pisczarkawitz (sp). Probably the worst 1st rd draft pick EVER.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Getting into pratice?

Can women carry a purse into practice or do they have to carry those see through bags they want us to use during the games?:sad:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can women carry a purse into practice or do they have to carry those see through bags they want us to use during the games?:sad:

I went on Saturday. I had a see-through bag and was thanked for having it. I did hear several women complaining about the new restrictions but I don't know if they were stopped from bringing their purses in. (Too busy watching the guys to look so see if they had their purses.)

I got my bag, 8x8, in the cosmetics section of Walmart. Cost about 12 bucks and worked very well. (The guy at the table was very surprised I had it. I said, "I read the website." He said half-laughed and said, "Well, you're the only one.")

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I got my bag, 8x8, in the cosmetics section of Walmart. Cost about 12 bucks and worked very well. (The guy at the table was very surprised I had it. I said, "I read the website." He said half-laughed and said, "Well, you're the only one.")

Is that a body bag? Who would pay 12 bucks for a plastic bag? Really:bang:

Arizona_Steve

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there would be a problem with me bringing my monster 200-400mm zoom lens into the stadium. Had no problems at the Flagstaff training camp last year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any suggestions on best seating area for Saturday? i figure the red and white will be more scrimmage based so maybe should just aim for the 50 yard line but during regular practice has there been specific areas that you see the most of starters or certain position groups?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there would be a problem with me bringing my monster 200-400mm zoom lens into the stadium. Had no problems at the Flagstaff training camp last year.

Doubt if you can carry a camera bag, at least when they have the security lines getting into the games, when you get your ticket package there is a page telling about the new rules and showing pictures of the sizes and styles of see thru plastic bags you have to put your stuff in, including water bottles! This is a new league rule since the Boston tragedy!! All stadiums.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is that a body bag? Who would pay 12 bucks for a plastic bag? Really:bang:

Actually, it looks like a little suitcase and came with three smaller (and very cute) make-up bags inside of it, but I didn't think you guys would be interested. :p