Post Texans Overreaction Thread

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...we need to get Kyler a lit receiving group like Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Tank Dell, and Noah Brown.

Come on dude. A lot of today was on the QB. Even Brown, who I consistently criticize, got hosed by his QB twice.
I have to agree. Brown could be 5’2” and if the 2 passes to him were 5 yards further it would have been 2 touchdowns.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - lots of 2022 vibes yesterday which was definitely concerning. If Kyler ain't it, we're in for a long stretch of hard to watch football. Look at all the rest of the teams without a QB in the NFL - utterly hopeless and borderline unwatchable.

Yesterday was such a tease with that first drive! Kyler put it right on Moore, and you thought it would be an old fashioned shootout. After that, Kyler was ass, and Stroud appeared to be a different guy after the Thompson hit.
This will probably draw some comments not intended but Stroud looked like a seasoned vet. He was calm and throwing his receivers open. Us, not so much. It seemed every pass was contested.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs could make the goal line Touchdown run that he made yesterday vs. HOU?

You find a way to build around that Chopper. And here's his passing stat line from yesterday:

20/30 (66.7%) 7.1 per completion, 1 TD, 1 INT - 84.6 passer rating.

You make it sound like he threw eight interceptions or something.

Give him some more talent and he'll do better. Anybody can see that.
If your QBs best trait is his ability to run, that isn't good. That is the frosting, not the cake. Kyler isn't a timing/rhythm QB, and he is struggling to throw the deep ball. Unless those things get significantly better, he can't be a playoff winning QB. And to the stat-line, you can't win with a QB who is generating ok stats while getting paid 40+ mil per season. That is an issue in a salary cap league.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah...we need to get Kyler a lit receiving group like Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Tank Dell, and Noah Brown.

Come on dude. A lot of today was on the QB. Even Brown, who I consistently criticize, got hosed by his QB twice.
I'd take that group right now.
Robert Woods has been a decent starter for a Super Bowl team, Nico and Tank look like promising long term starters, and Noah posted back-to-back games that none of the Cardinals receivers have ever posted.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If your QBs best trait is his ability to run, that isn't good. That is the frosting, not the cake. Kyler isn't a timing/rhythm QB, and he is struggling to throw the deep ball. Unless those things get significantly better, he can't be a playoff winning QB. And to the stat-line, you can't win with a QB who is generating ok stats while getting paid 40+ mil per season. That is an issue in a salary cap league.
Justin Fields has proven this point.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You put it in a way I was trying to figure out how to say.
Passing ability HAS to outweigh running ability. If we have to really on Kyler winning games solely based on his running we are doomed. He will eventually get killed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And to be clear, I am willing to give Kyler the rest of the year to show he can get to a high quality of QB play. I am just saying that if at the end of the season is this level of QB play, you have to move on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How many starting NFL QBs could make the goal line Touchdown run that he made yesterday vs. HOU?

You find a way to build around that Chopper. And here's his passing stat line from yesterday:

20/30 (66.7%) 7.1 per completion, 1 TD, 1 INT - 84.6 passer rating.

You make it sound like he threw eight interceptions or something.

Give him some more talent and he'll do better. Anybody can see that.
I get that you like him, man, but I just can't agree. Monster rushing ability from a QB isn't a must, it's gravy. Passing is the key, and you can't watch yesterday's game and come away happy with how he did passing the football. If stats were trump, Cousins would be the best QB in the NFL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm willing to consider the "didn't have off-season and didn't have camp" as reasons for some of this.
Absolutely. This last game wasn't in itself a referendum on Kyler's future with the team. He has the rest of the year to show out--and that doesn't mean achieving a long winning streak or anything, because that would be an unfair measure. For me, it would mean knocking the rust off, ditching the old bad habits, continuing to work the pocket, and showing he can be consistent, especially on the deep ball and timing routes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely. This last game wasn't in itself a referendum on Kyler's future with the team. He has the rest of the year to show out--and that doesn't mean achieving a long winning streak or anything, because that would be an unfair measure. For me, it would mean knocking the rust off, ditching the old bad habits, continuing to work the pocket, and showing he can be consistent, especially on the deep ball and timing routes.
I want to see Murray become a competent QB who can score more than 16 points against a very mid defense.

My plan would be to acquire a #1 receiver for Murray. That's the #1 priority, not just for the Cardinals with Murray, but also without Murray. Either you get MHJ or you trade down and get Odunze/Nabers. For years, we've seen what having a really good receiver can do for an offense, and the small windows of time where the Cardinals haven't had a true #1 have been depressing because of how much they can make all of the other receivers more effective.

Second, the OL isn't terrible, but it needs a talent upgrade. I have mostly thought that Humphries was good enough, but he isn't getting younger and the Cardinals could use a good young bookend to PJJ.

Defense I'm throwing a brinks truck at Christian Wilkins or Chris Jones. The Cardinals desperately need someone who can get some push. It's much easier to shut down all of the edge guys when there is no push in the middle. I think the current crew of edge guys can be effective if the QB couldn't just step up in the pocket all of the time.

The good news is that I think all of this achievable THIS off-season. Put me firmly in the "let Hollywood walk" crowd now. I just don't see the value added. There is enough evidence that he won't be worth what he will likely get. I'd probably look at signing Calvin Ridley too.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dortch played a full year more than Moore. Dorch does play because he's not good. Moore isn't good either, but he's better. Moore plays WR like a WR, Dorch plays WR like a PR. It doesn't matter if he has a good run after catch 1 or 2 times a game if he's making many other mistakes with his other snaps.

Again, if he was better, he would be playing. Dorch is a fringe 45 man roster player.
Dortch, Moore, Tomato, Tomahto. This really is a moot point. Both are infinitely replaceable, and as much as I like both players and some of the flashes they have shown, I really could care less who plays over whom. The WR room is a sitcom at this point.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dortch, Moore, Tomato, Tomahto. This really is a moot point. Both are infinitely replaceable, and as much as I like both players and some of the flashes they have shown, I really could care less who plays over whom. The WR room is a sitcom at this point.
That is a pretty fair statement.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
idk man - I was hanging out with my 'could've would've' friend and he said we were just a couple plays away - but then our 'I was at that game 30 years ago' friend showed up and he said same old same old

yesterday I went disc golfing with my 'Cardinals are the reason I'm divorced' and my '4 Arizona Cardinal tattoos/self proclaimed stats aficionado' friends we all agreed everything hinges and is still on Kyler Murray

haven't seen my 'only come around when they win' friend in years

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
idk man - I was hanging out with my 'could've would've' friend and he said we were just a couple plays away - but then our 'I was at that game 30 years ago' friend showed up and he said same old same old

yesterday I went disc golfing with my 'Cardinals are the reason I'm divorced' and my '4 Arizona Cardinal tattoos/self proclaimed stats aficionado' friends we all agreed everything hinges and is still on Kyler Murray

LOL’d at this

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

gee, I hope I wasnt the only one trying to match up Poster names to your friend descriptions, lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard