Post-Season Cuts Impact Cap

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The bigger concern is whether the owner willing to go all in and manipulate the cap with coach that should have been fired in January 2022? Hard to go all-in with zero stability in the coaching office knowing you could be like the Rams are after a 2-3 year stint with of greatness. Hard-pressed to see the Rams turning it around next year with no relevant picks, no cap and a QB who is looking next to done…at the same time I’d take that Super Bowl and being competitive contenders the prior 2 years building up to it in a heartbeat.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’d cut them all. If JJ doesn’t restructure, he’s gone too.

Anderson, Fotu & Golden are worthless players and contribute absolutely nothing!!! Total failures by Keim
I literally had to look up who Anderson was. I knew it wasn't Robbie, but I legit had to ask myself there was another Anderson on the roster. He has been that damn invisible and useless.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watt is a free agent and has 3 voidable years tacked onto the end of his contract. That totals to $7.2M of dead money no matter what.

Cutting Hudson or just waiting for him to retire will save you $5.7M or if you designate him a Post June 1st cut that will save you $9.25M

Cutting Anderson saves you $12M

So with just those two moves you are at $45M in cap space.

Then you have to consider some free agents the Cardinals have this year:

Byron Murphy
JJ Watt
Will Hernandez
Zach Allen
Kelvin Beachum
Cody Ford
Andy Lee

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could also extend Hollywood Brown and save some money next season.
At the moment u invested a first round pick in him u can just extend him
Spending a first for a player in a contract year and let him go is something i have never seen

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment u invested a first round pick in him u can just extend him
Spending a first for a player in a contract year and let him go is something i have never seen
The Cardinals picked up his 5th year option so they have him for another year at $13.4M.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Then you have to consider some free agents the Cardinals have this year:

Byron Murphy
JJ Watt
Will Hernandez
Zach Allen

Kelvin Beachum
Cody Ford
Andy Lee
those in bold are who you want back

the rest, you can let go.

I like Beachum, but if you have a far cheaper player in Jones ready to step in, you move on

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I like Beachum, but if you have a far cheaper player in Jones ready to step in, you move on
That should eat up most of the cap, right? (assuming they want to be here)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I don’t see Hernandez getting a big offer. Watt’s injury concern means I only keeping him if I think this is a playoff team. That depends on who’s coaching. Murphy will cost the most and they should pay it. Allen is worth keeping but hasn’t looked super strong against the run. I’d keep him but not at a ridiculous price. Beachum is an FA and I’d move Jones there unless they trade Humphries.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I don’t see Hernandez getting a big offer. Watt’s injury concern means I only keeping him if I think this is a playoff team. That depends on who’s coaching. Murphy will cost the most and they should pay it. Allen is worth keeping but hasn’t looked super strong against the run. I’d keep him but not at a ridiculous price. Beachum is an FA and I’d move Jones there unless they trade Humphries.
I definitely want to bring back Hernandez and I agree he shouldn’t break the bank. I’m afraid to let Beachum go just because he is the only one that is still playing and is still healthy. I do really like Billy Price at center. I think he is solid and should be our starter going forward.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely want to bring back Hernandez and I agree he shouldn’t break the bank. I’m afraid to let Beachum go just because he is the only one that is still playing and is still healthy. I do really like Billy Price at center. I think he is solid and should be our starter going forward.
Agree until you got to Price. Don’t want him starting at all. We need a center before next season.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Agree until you got to Price. Don’t want him starting at all. We need a center before next season.
Watching film on him he seems to be making less mistakes as the season goes on. I like his strength at holding the LOS. He’s not going to get bull rushed very often. He’s stronger than most centers and I’m hoping he keeps getting better the rest of the year. Plus he would be cheap to sign.

If you rewatch the games key in on him and watch every play. Hernandez was doing a solid job. That’s why I would like to have him back.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You could also extend Hollywood Brown and save some money next season.
Nuk is a more plausible and bigger money extension IF you think his game could translate for 3-4 more years. I think it can as speed isn’t a virtue of his. $32mm cap hit could be reduced greatly

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching film on him he seems to be making less mistakes as the season goes on. I like his strength at holding the LOS. He’s not going to get bull rushed very often. He’s stronger than most centers and I’m hoping he keeps getting better the rest of the year. Plus he would be cheap to sign.

If you rewatch the games key in on him and watch every play. Hernandez was doing a solid job. That’s why I would like to have him back.
Hernandez I agree on. Want him back as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he very much likes Arizona. But he only has a couple of years left. He'd be crazy if a Chiefs or Bills were interested.

I think the common thinking is he'll sign with Pittsburgh because he can play with his brothers. There's some talk Derek the FB might not be back there but I would imagine they might keep him if it means they get JJ. In fact there's some Steelers fans who insist that's why TJ Watt signed a huge new deal with Pittsburgh they gave him some idea they'd go after JJ in FA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bring back Price WITH real competition.

if we weren't a shotgun team I'd agree but the problem with Price is literally every 3rd snap is high or low or somehow offline. Even Colt was having issues with his snaps it's not a Kyler height thing he's just not good at shotgun snaps.

He also has this amazing ability to false start for a C.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh dear God, no! Did you not see the graphic on how few snaps he has had compared to the rest of the league, and how many sacks/penalties he's given up? How many false starts has he had, as a Center? How many bad snaps? I don't want him on the team, let alone starting.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Oh dear God, no! Did you not see the graphic on how few snaps he has had compared to the rest of the league, and how many sacks/penalties he's given up? How many false starts has he had, as a Center? How many bad snaps? I don't want him on the team, let alone starting.

Agreed. Price is only 30th in snaps but 2nd in penalties and sacks allowed. Not to mention snaps over QB's head.

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Price is only 30th in snaps but 2nd in penalties and sacks allowed. Not to mention snaps over QB's head.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not saying Price is good but also I think there is some missing context here.

Price signed on October 4th and was starting on the 20th. Really hard for any center to come in and pickup the scheme and playbook in that time. Then on top of that he's had a revoling door either side of him. He's had Garcia, Ford and Coward at LG. He's had Hernandez, Smith and Garcia at LG.

He's also had to contend with a practically all shotgun offense, something he's never had to do, and snap count method pretty much unique in the league.

So he's had a lot to contend with.

He's got some issues in his game for sure but I'd be ok with him sticking around as backup C.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not saying Price is good but also I think there is some missing context here.

Price signed on October 4th and was starting on the 20th. Really hard for any center to come in and pickup the scheme and playbook in that time. Then on top of that he's had a revoling door either side of him. He's had Garcia, Ford and Coward at LG. He's had Hernandez, Smith and Garcia at LG.

He's also had to contend with a practically all shotgun offense, something he's never had to do, and snap count method pretty much unique in the league.

He's got some issues in his game for sure but I'd be ok with him sticking around as backup C.
Backup for sure.. there’s a reason why NYG cut him after starting all last year and literally no one picked him up in the off season. He sucks.. but I’d take him at backup center over Harlow.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

None of that should affect bad snaps and false starts, especially as the C. Sacks, he gets a bit more leeway with, sure, but even then he's not been good.

Compete for a backup spot? Sure. Nothing more.