Post-Season Cuts Impact Cap

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Some of these guys could get cut immediately, but at least by June 1 if I’m reading this right that would put the Cards at $54 mil cap space. Feel free to correct me if I’m reading this wrong. Of course they have to extend Brown, but it looks like they have room to be a player in free agency. They might re-sign Watt for a lower figure, but the others all look disposable.

Watt 5 mil
Hudson 9 mil
Golden 3 mil
Fotu 1 mil
Dimukeje 1 mil
Anderson 12 mil

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of these guys could get cut immediately, but at least by June 1 if I’m reading this right that would put the Cards at $54 mil cap space. Feel free to correct me if I’m reading this wrong. Of course they have to extend Brown, but it looks like they have room to be a player in free agency. They might re-sign Watt for a lower figure, but the others all look disposable.

Watt 5 mil
Hudson 9 mil
Golden 3 mil
Fotu 1 mil
Dimukeje 1 mil
Anderson 12 mil

Watt is FA. His $7m cap hit next year is cap management.

Hudson saves $5m but carries $5m dead money.

Anderson is automatic.

But there's no major money to be saved other than Anderson and we only get the money back we already expected to have next year until 5 weeks ago.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anderson is automatic.

But there's no major money to be saved other than Anderson and we only get the money back we already expected to have next year until 5 weeks ago.
Extending Hopkins and Brown can both create cap space. But not much else as you said.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Anderson is automatic.

On Hudson if you cut after 6/1 the dead money is only $2.2 mil. Cap Savings is $9.2 mil.
not sure what you mean about Watt. After 6/1 the only dead money is the $2.4 bonus payoff.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really wouldn’t mind if every draft pick and FA signing next year was for OL and DL only. We build up both sides, everything and everybody around them will get that much better. Our LB play, CB play, run game and even KM if I dare say.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Hudson if you cut after 6/1 the dead money is only $2.2 mil. Cap Savings is $9.2 mil.
not sure what you mean about Watt. After 6/1 the only dead money is the $2.4 bonus payoff.

Yeah but he's going to retire way before then.

Best they can do with Hudson is get him to restructure before retiring.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d cut them all. If JJ doesn’t restructure, he’s gone too.

Anderson, Fotu & Golden are worthless players and contribute absolutely nothing!!! Total failures by Keim
They are, but I seem to recall a ton of people pissed at Keim for not resigning golden sooner. Seems like some revisionist history.

I never wanted to give him an extension, because I already knew how overrated he was.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How Watt will somehow cost us 7 million dollars NEXT YEAR is beyond me. Great cap management.
its called voidable years, and all 32 teams do it

its one of the ways the Rams can start the year with negative cap space and still sign big money players

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wait until you see what we're paying Jordan Phillips next year!

Between Watt, Phillips, and AJ Green we already have $15 million in dead cap money next year for players who aren't signed to the team.

I dont know if they can use Watt's 7 million dead cap toward a new contract or if a new contract would only double up the dead contract. If it's the former, it's a no brainer to bring him back.

With Kyler's cap hit at only $18 million next year, it's the last chance for Keim to finally go "all in", instead of the half assed crap he's been doing the last few years.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Between Watt, Phillips, and AJ Green we already have $15 million in dead cap money next year for players who aren't signed to the team.

I dont know if they can use Watt's 7 million dead cap toward a new contract or if a new contract would only double up the dead contract. If it's the former, it's a no brainer to bring him back.

With Kyler's cap hit at only $18 million next year, it's the last chance for Keim to finally go "all in", instead of the half assed crap he's been doing the last few years.
Any new money Watt gets will be on top of the dead cap number, but you can push a lot out into the future with more voidable years, etc.

It'd be hard to keep him from having a cap number under $10 million or so if we brought him back.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Watt 5 mil
Hudson 9 mil
Golden 3 mil
Fotu 1 mil
Dimukeje 1 mil
Anderson 12 mil

Golden, Fotu and Dimukeje are largely irrelevant to the Cap. They are football decisions.

Hudson and not picking up Anderson's 2023 salary are real savings.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
$54 million in cap space & top 10 draft pick is recipe for disaster if Keim is still GM next season.

$54 million cap space, which I doubt Keim manages to free up, is surprisingly little.

Just "keeping the band together" and re-signing Watt, Hollywood, Murphy, and Allen, Hernandez, would use the vast majority of that. Then we need to find replacements for a handful of other players who will be gone, whether internal or external. Pugh, Hudson, Beacham, Ford, etc.

In other words, it might be a stretch to even run it back with the same talent next year, let alone improve in free agency. I think we're totally boned from every direction for the foreseeable future with what Keim and Kingsbury have gotten us into.

Our future is going to depend on draft picks hitting and making big impacts immediately.

OR

A new coach can bake a better cake with the same ingredients.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
$54 million cap space, which I doubt Keim manages to free up, is surprisingly little.

Just "keeping the band together" and re-signing Watt, Hollywood, Murphy, and Allen, Hernandez, would use the vast majority of that. Then we need to find replacements for a handful of other players who will be gone, whether internal or external. Pugh, Hudson, Beacham, Ford, etc.

In other words, it might be a stretch to even run it back with the same talent next year, let alone improve in free agency. I think we're totally boned from every direction for the foreseeable future with what Keim and Kimgsbury have gotten us into.

Our future is going to depend on draft picks hitting and making big impacts immediately. It's our only hope.
Which is why it's stunning to me that anyone gives Keim any sort of a passing grade. We're already not nearly talented or deep enough, and our options for improving that situation are in short supply moving forward. Just to keep our current talent/replace FA's will require more than we currently have.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

In other words, it might be a stretch to even run it back with the same talent next year, let alone improve in free agency. I think we're totally boned from every direction for the foreseeable future with what Keim and Kingsbury have gotten us into.

Our future is going to depend on draft picks hitting and making big impacts immediately.

OR

A new coach can bake a better cake with the same ingredients.
Not necessarily.. restructuring can be done to go all in very easily. Nuk’s contract being one of those. Literally every single contender does it. You’ll have to make tough choices down the like (like KC and Hill), but it most certainly can be done. Plus the cap should rise significantly this off season.