POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
According to PFT the Broncos gave up the first they received from the Dolphins that belongs to the 49ers (29 overall) and a 2nd next year. They also got back a third. So they get Payton and really don't give up too much. It would have been similar to us giving up a 2 this year and next and getting the 3 back. I think most of us would have taken that deal. C'est la Vie. I thought Payton was a long shot too. At least he isn't in our division and as a side bonus Ryans is gone from San Fran. Things are wide open next year if Bidwill can bring in the right leadership and we have a good offseason.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just thought of something...I think I've read on here previously, that Payton has been known to "hit the town", so to speak, but he just doesn't do dumb things like get DUI's. Do you think maybe Mike took that into consideration at all, when working on what draft picks he'd give up to get him? Especially with how the last 2 years of Keim went and how he bowed out from the team?

I'm not trying to impugn Payton's character...he was my 1st choice for head coach...Just trying put myself in Mike's shoes and thought process.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
According to PFT the Broncos gave up the first they received from the Dolphins that belongs to the 49ers (29 overall) and a 2nd next year. They also got back a third. So they get Payton and really don't give up too much. It would have been similar to us giving up a 2 this year and next and getting the 3 back. I think most of us would have taken that deal. C'est la Vie. I thought Payton was a long shot too. At least he isn't in our division and as a side bonus Ryans is gone from San Fran. Things are wide open next year if Bidwill can bring in the right leadership and we have a good offseason.
Possible the Saints gave the Broncos a better deal, since they are in the AFC.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I was on the fence about giving up something similar to what the Broncos gave up, to be clear... but I think had we signed Payton, I probably would have approached it with optimism as long as we didn't give up the #3 overall.

A high #2 this year and maybe a 1st next year would have probably been okay, but I'd have been real worried come October when Kyler was just coming back and we were trending for a top ten pick.

So, if anyone's thinking I'm someone who has flip flopped, it's really just a matter of now being able to see the realistic compensation for the guy. We never knew, and were playing with hypotheticals. Now that we know, it's a lot easier to look at it and go "yikes."

I honestly don't anticipate Payton crushing it in Denver. We'll see. I'm very down on Russ at his age.
I didn’t want to give up high picks but of course I would of still been thrilled to land Payton.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just thought of something...I think I've read on here previously, that Payton has been known to "hit the town", so to speak, but he just doesn't do dumb things like get DUI's. Do you think maybe Mike took that into consideration at all, when working on what draft picks he'd give up to get him? Especially with how the last 2 years of Keim went and how he bowed out from the team?

I'm not trying to impugn Payton's character...he was my 1st choice for head coach...Just trying put myself in Mike's shoes and thought process.
Dude... no way you can live in New Orleans that long and not be a serious partier. SP was seen on the town often. It may well have been something Mike considered. But Payton is older...been settling down. I dont think its a big concern.
Frank Reich was my guy... now, I am looking at these others. The DC from Cincy has an interesting resume...Harvard, Marshall... very :Teachy" kinda background.
I was completely out on Callahan specifically because his dad is a moron... but maybe the apple falls further from the tree than people think. Turns out, he was the QB coach that made Brock Osweiller a suitable backup to Peyton Manning in Denver He might actually be a solid choice.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
yeah... kylers injury isnt a concern beyond next season. He will come back strong... the prognosis for those is very high.
Im actually hoping it gets him to focus more on the intellectual side of the game. 50 percent of the game is 100 percent mental.
Are you related to Yogi?

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I wanted Payton, but glad we still have all the draft choices and a competent GM. If Lou is the guy I'll be ok. If it is Kafka or VJ or Flores depression will set in.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's the 29th pick
Denver is doing what it takes to get it done. A pick for a future bust or a pick that gets pro-bowl selection and hurt his knee or a pick that we let walk and he’ll be a beast to a real franchise like Thomas Jones and Reddick. Because we don’t know what to do with our first round picks. So Denver sent it to them for this year to have success for multiple years. Chess not checkers.
That is a lot to give up for a non player any way you slice it.

DEN was probably the one team that could do that and be fine. Their Walmart owners can go and buy up all the top FA's and fit them under the cap by handing out huge bonuses like Kroenke. Bidwill ain't in that league.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose