POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's hilarious that people who aggressively approve of trading a first round pick for Hollywood Brown with 1 cheap year left on his contract and using a second round pick on a backup TE are so against trading a first and second for a head coach who has already turned around a previously downtrodden franchise.

Also, this was always the most likely result. The Bidwills are masters at being used for leverage.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's hilarious that people who aggressively approve of trading a first round pick for Hollywood Brown with 1 cheap year left on his contract and using a second round pick on a backup TE are so against trading a first and second for a head coach who has already turned around a previously downtrodden franchise.

Also, this was always the most likely result. The Bidwills are masters at being used for leverage.
So you're good trading #3? I think that's the issue.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you're good trading #3? I think that's the issue.
I asked this a couple of days ago:

If the Cardinals would win a Super Bowl with Payton in 3-4 years, would it have been worth #3?

Personally I was against doing that but had they chose to do so I would have been reluctantly on board.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

wait....
when did we draft a backup TE?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Honestly I would have had no problem with giving up what the Broncos gave the Saints

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Last year after giving Ertz top 10 TE money.
we didnt draft a backup. we drafted a starter. Fortunately we drafted him soon enough that he has time to develop before we have to press him into full time starter.
paying ertz has nothing to do with having a replacement ready for when he is gone.
sooner or later, the Cardinals need to become a pro team and start drafting guys three years before they need them to play. otherwise the fans will never get over thinking a rookie has to come in and save the team or else he was a wasted pick.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if there was ever a serious expectation of a #3 pick when they settled on the #29 pick.

Denver gave two offers, with one of them being a 2024 first rounder.
If we had offered the third they would have took it. 29 is a number that comes before 35.

We could have offered 35 and a first next year but that doesn't mean NO would think that is better. The Broncos sucked almost as hard as we did and their QB now has a noodle arm. It's not a no brainer the Cards pick next year would be higher than the Broncos. It is a no brainer 29 is higher than 35.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we had offered the third they would have took it. 29 is a number that comes before 35.

We could have offered 35 and a first next year but that doesn't mean NO would think that is better. The Broncos sucked almost as hard as we did and their QB now has a noodle arm. It's not a no brainer the Cards pick next year would be higher than the Broncos. It is a no brainer 29 is higher than 35.

What NO would have accepted and where Payton wanted to park his butt are two different issues.

This wasn't a player trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who've we lost?

Ryan's was never really on our list and only really going to the Texans.

Payton we turned down because of the ridiculous cost.

Quinn stayed home.

Only guy we really lost is Reich.
I love this spin. You didn’t dump me, I dumped you! The cardinals organization is a perfect organization in Britcards eyes.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Flip side of this the Broncos have no picks. They have less cap space than us (#15). Wilson looks beyond washed.

They play in the hardest division in football.

Was this the right move Sean?
He seems to think so. I am guessing Wilson will be rejuvenated next year…or at least Payton thinks he will be

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Flip side of this the Broncos have no picks. They have less cap space than us (#15). Wilson looks beyond washed.

I think it was a bad move for Payton team-wise. They do have an absolutely electric defense. But he avoided coaching for a bidwill, so who is to really say if it was a win or loss?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure when you give yourself a moment to reflect, you understand that the Cards' willingness to compensate NO is irrelevant to Payton's decision to sign on the dotted line.
Link?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

$100 million over 4 years in a state with 4.4% income tax is one hell of a retirement plan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave