POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Ryans is now Houston coach. Wouldn’t even interview with us.

Got used by Payton.

Quinn would rather be a defensive coordinator than our HC.

GM wasn’t our first pick.

This is an ugly off-season so far.
I agree somewhat. But the silver lining is that Kiem and Kadburry egg are gone. That’s a huge upgrade.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cowherd on his dinner conversations with Payton:

Payton was concerned about cap flexibility and Russell Wilson (being washed although he didnt say it).

Cowherd also mentioned Kyler's injury (while not directly mentioning it in relation to Payton) it seems that might have been an issue.
Edit: Cowherd said they talked about the Houston interview but didnt talk about the Cardinals interview. Again saying without saying but he said the Houston interview was weird.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Denver is doing what it takes to get it done. A pick for a future bust or a pick that gets pro-bowl selection and hurt his knee or a pick that we let walk and he’ll be a beast to a real franchise like Thomas Jones and Reddick. Because we don’t know what to do with our first round picks. So Denver sent it to them for this year to have success for multiple years. Chess not checkers.
Denver is desperate to get Russell Wilson fixed. We don’t need anything like that. Oh wait. Lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Cowherd on his dinner conversations with Payton:

Payton was concerned about cap flexibility and Russell Wilson (being washed although he didnt say it).

Cowherd also mentioned Kyler's injury (while not directly mentioning it in relation to Payton) it seems that might have been an issue.
yeah... kylers injury isnt a concern beyond next season. He will come back strong... the prognosis for those is very high.
Im actually hoping it gets him to focus more on the intellectual side of the game. 50 percent of the game is 100 percent mental.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Even if it took the three, chances are our coaches don’t know what to do with him. He won’t be motivated or he’ll beast in his final year and go somewhere else and make multiple pro-bowls. I wouldn’t have wanted to, but if it took the number three, then I wouldve done it simply because we would’ve been a better overall team.

We still face probably the top coaches in the league TWICE a year and having Payton here would even the odds.
True

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Russ is an old system QB. He's done, IMHO. He was done last year, and Seahawks fans cheered the trade. Living in Seahawk land, I don't know know a single person over 12 that didn't love the trade. Geno player better than 2021 Russell. And now they have no decent draft capital. They'll battle the Raiders for 3rd.
That’s how I feel about Denver.

I wanted Payton but not for all those picks.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was on the fence about giving up something similar to what the Broncos gave up, to be clear... but I think had we signed Payton, I probably would have approached it with optimism as long as we didn't give up the #3 overall.

A high #2 this year and maybe a 1st next year would have probably been okay, but I'd have been real worried come October when Kyler was just coming back and we were trending for a top ten pick.

So, if anyone's thinking I'm someone who has flip flopped, it's really just a matter of now being able to see the realistic compensation for the guy. We never knew, and were playing with hypotheticals. Now that we know, it's a lot easier to look at it and go "yikes."

I honestly don't anticipate Payton crushing it in Denver. We'll see. I'm very down on Russ at his age.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was on the fence about giving up something similar to what the Broncos gave up, to be clear... but I think had we signed Payton, I probably would have approached it with optimism as long as we didn't give up the #3 overall.

A high #2 this year and maybe a 1st next year would have probably been okay, but I'd have been real worried come October when Kyler was just coming back and we were trending for a top ten pick.

So, if anyone's thinking I'm someone who has flip flopped, it's really just a matter of now being able to see the realistic compensation for the guy. We never knew, and were playing with hypotheticals. Now that we know, it's a lot easier to look at it and go "yikes."

I honestly don't anticipate Payton crushing it in Denver. We'll see. I'm very down on Russ at his age.
Apparently Payton is as well according to Cowherd. However, the $ + owners won him over.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score

I was in the same boat! I felt is we had our 1st this year, we could possibly trade it for something bigger like 2 number 1s and if someone was desperate, maybe even pick up a number 1 or 2 next year. Oh well!

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t know if I buy this. Are Payton and the other hires the only humans on the planet capable of changing a team’s culture to a winning one?

There are other guys out there who can do the job. It’s up to the FO to find one or more of them and make the right decisions.

Although the Cardinal FO bit the Big Burrito yet again and aren’t a lock to produce in the near future, we still have a fighting chance. Hang in there.
I’m not saying other candidates can’t be successful, they’re just not proven. Payton’s offenses were consistently top top 10. He would have truly unlocked K1 and made this offense unstoppable IMO (sigh)

I’ll welcome anyone they sign as long as it isn’t VJ but now I don’t have expectations for a turnaround.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
So...... The top candidates went elsewhere and we are left hoping that the guy no one else wanted pans out?

Sounds eerily familiar.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at this point. Bidwill is a joke. Just a bit better than his old man.... But a joke nonetheless.
I don’t agree, yet. He put his nuts on the table when he fired Kiem & Cadburry. Now if we make Vance the HC I will change my tune about him. I think MB is wants to be a good owner but doesn’t know how. I just think he is learning on the job. And didn’t have a good example from his dad.