POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the good with Payton is clear

likely the best combo with Kyler, he knows how to get a team to perform at a high level -- arguably, the Saints were the best team in the NFC for a 3 year run -- and got knocked out of the playoffs in one upset, one whacky deseration throw vs. Minny and one horrific non-called PI penalty

the bad?

the Saints cap situation is a disaster and Payton bailed on it. I dont know how much of a role he played in that part.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the good with Payton is clear

likely the best combo with Kyler, he knows how to get a team to perform at a high level -- arguably, the Saints were the best team in the NFC for a 3 year run -- and got knocked out of the playoffs in one upset, one whacky deseration throw vs. Minny and one horrific non-called PI penalty

the bad?

the Saints cap situation is a disaster and Payton bailed on it. I dont know how much of a role he played in that part.
Exactly. Payton is going to want to win TODAY at all cost. MO is in for the long run.
Bottom line is I don’t think each parties vision is the same.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Quite possible that once Kroenke and Jerrah heard about how much draft capital it would take to get him from Saints, they both just decided to convince McVay to stay another year (Kroenke) and not fire McCarthy this year (Jerrah). Payton goes back to Fox and in 2024 is Sean Watch all over again, when the trade price from the Saints should be much lower.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it very strange for them not to mention the Cardinals, even as to say he’s declined an interview, which when accepting the Texans would be very very odd.

Can anyone think of a reason? In his interview with his daughter he brought up that Carolina weren’t on the odds list, so you would think he’d bring up the Cards if they weren’t intentionally left out.
Maybe DeMico found out the hard way that the interviewing process drained more time than he thought it would…so he beat a dignfied retreat that, among other things, moved his interview/gag order to a later date.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The Cards can offer next year’s first and this year’s third and still get Payton most likely. I still think there is a good chance we could be announcing Sean Payton as our head coach Friday.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Cards can offer next year’s first and this year’s third and still get Payton most likely. I still think there is a good chance we could be announcing Sean Payton as our head coach Friday.
That may work. If every team calls the Saints bluff, there's no way they are even getting a 3rd next year.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have to say I would take some satisfaction if we got Payton for a song (i.e. not 2x 1sts) seeing all the Saints fans cry as they think they are getting our 1st this year and next year plus other middle rounders

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really is no competition for teams. It is whomever Payton wants to coach for and that's it. In other words, a team (say Denver) could offer 16 1st round picks and another team (say Carolina) offers a 3rd. If Payton wants to go to Carolina, then the Saints have to decide if the 3rd is enough to let Payton out of his contract. If not, then he sits another year. It's not like the Saints can ship him off to Denver if he doesn't want to go there. There is no bidding war for his services.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Ok question I have no real clue about. If SP is a 10 as a HC, how would Reich, Quinn and Flores rate? A 5, or maybe a 9, or????

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
TBH, Allbright is a bit of a hack.
Yes, he has a reputation that's for sure. But he does have some sources in the NFL that often provide some interesting perspectives.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Odd that Fangios name hasn’t come up much at least from my recollection for DC jobs. Are Payton and Fangio tied at the hip no matter what?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking today about Payton and the importance of having a good QB due to the lack of high quality prospects in the draft. Interesting...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are saying on the radio it's suspected Payton's agent that leaked the "secret" team is interested to drum up some artificial interest. It's started to feel like teams are suspecting Payton is using them for leverage.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton doesn't need to use teams for leverage. If Broncos really want him they have the money. They also have a first round pick in the Chubb trade. Maybe Payton doesn't want to go to the AFC West and coach Wilson.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking today about Payton and the importance of having a good QB due to the lack of high quality prospects in the draft. Interesting...
Several weeks ago Payton said on Cowherd's show that he was unimpressed with this year's QB class. He loved Caleb Williams though.