POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's the likely value, based off of trade charts.

The 5th year option is the only aspect that makes 30 more valuable than 35. Outside of that, a straight 3rd is better than giving up a 3rd for a 2nd. (which the chart explains)

Point being - Cards could have easily trumped the Broncos deal, and didn't make the commitment. I'm amused at how picks are suddenly at a premium when we're giving away firsts for Hollywood and 2nds for McBride.

It’s a different regime. You can’t compare what’s happening now vs just last year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You do realize the tweet said a 2 and a 3 from AZ, right? Not two 2's, which is what #35 this year and 2024 second rounder would be. #30 is still in the 1st round and gives the team the 5th year option, which is actually valuable.
Yeah going by Odegard’s specific tweet, there’s no way a late-1 equals an early-2 because of an additional 3rd going to Denver.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That's the likely value, based off of trade charts.

The 5th year option is the only aspect that makes 30 more valuable than 35. Outside of that, a straight 3rd is better than giving up a 3rd for a 2nd. (which the chart explains)

Point being - Cards could have easily trumped the Broncos deal, and didn't make the commitment. I'm amused at how picks are suddenly at a premium when we're giving away firsts for Hollywood and 2nds for McBride.
Nobodies arguing the Cards couldn’t trumped Denver’s offer…

At the end of the day I think has less to do about picks and more about paying Payton/Kingsbury a combined $115-120m over 5 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nobodies arguing the Cards couldn’t trumped Denver’s offer…
Ron was saying that Kyle supposition of a 2nd and 3rd trumping what the Broncos offered is wrong- I disagree.
At the end of the day I think this has more about paying Payton/Kingsbury a combined $115-120m combined over 5 years.
Not willing to pay the cost to get the one sure thing on the market - classic Bidwill.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don’t think Bidwill is cheap. I think he is an owner playing fantasy football. It appears he can’t grasp the idea of hiring the personnel to run his team without meddling in basic decisions.
He’s not a jerk. But when your organization has one or two winning seasons every 5/6 years you are what you are.
Extending the K boys was and has been blasted from the day it was announced….and it was a huge stupid mistake that may set this club back 2-3 years.
Yup.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams absolutely sucked donkey balls for a decade before McVay. 6 or so of them under Kroenke and Les Snead.

Yet now both are toasted as visionaries as if none of that crap happened. Snead has a 91-86 record. That's about 0.1% better than Keim.

My point being, the only things wrong with this org are the right HC and the right QB. Look at the Bengals for further proof.

We fix these two things and suddenly you don't suck any more.

This org is no worse than 2 dozen others throughout the league over the past 15 years. Like them we had spells with the right HC and QB and spells without.
I agree . It’s only been 73 years since our last championship. Little dry spell.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Payton had interest in the Cards HC job but favored the Broncos job. We will never now why but can only speculate.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think Payton had interest in the Cards HC job but favored the Broncos job. We will never now why but can only speculate.
Yes. We were a backup plan if Denver convinced Harbaugh or Ryans to come there, thus the 7+ hours last Thursday. It was widely reported he didn't want to go back to Fox.
He liked Wilson more than Murray, the Broncos roster and probably more money. I don't blame him for taking the Broncos job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I read all the doom and gloom, I have to ask…Why remain a fan? Ownership, which many of the negative comments point to, isn’t changing soon, or probably ever. Why not find another team that checks off all the boxes to make your lives more positive and happy?
It’s not a choice for some of us. It’s an addiction.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. We were a backup plan if Denver convinced Harbaugh or Ryans to come there, thus the 7+ hours last Thursday. It was widely reported he didn't want to go back to Fox.
He liked Wilson more than Murray, the Broncos roster and probably more money. I don't blame him for taking the Broncos job.
Agree, plus the Broncos were willing to give up the draft compensation that the Saints wanted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When I read all the doom and gloom, I have to ask…Why remain a fan? Ownership, which many of the negative comments point to, isn’t changing soon, or probably ever. Why not find another team that checks off all the boxes to make your lives more positive and happy?
The same can be said of all of us. Why are you a fan? Does losing make you happy?

Sports are almost a completely irrational thing. Nowhere else does a consumer stay with a crappy product because it’s from their hometown or because they were introduced to whatever it was at an early age. But we do with sports teams. Doesn’t make sense, it just is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think there are like 5 Orgs that you could say were run differently. Then you can slide a piece of paper between the other 27.

The whole "Cards are the worst Org in sport" died with Bill. The only people perpetuating this myth are the teams own fans. Kliff was the 13th highest paid NFL headcoach. Mike has put $15m in the training complex and $100m in the stadium in the past 10 years. Is he perfect? No. But the NFL is full of not perfect owners.

The whole "This org sucks because were going to be 4-5 days later hiring a HC than 2 other teams" thing is a bit sad to be honest.

There are LOTS of people on here that pile on the org for absolutely everything and anything.
The lack of recognition regarding how bad this franchise is, is amazing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How? How are we one of the worse since Mike took over?

In regards to wins we are 17th since 2007 and State Farm stadium is one of the better stadiums in the league. Our training player facilities could do with a little work I think but they aren't awful, around average.

So what exactly makes us one of the worst in the NFL? What specifically makes us worse as an organisation than the Jags, Browns, Lions, Colts, Raiders, Commanders, Jets, Bucs, Bears, Texans, Titans, Falcons, etc?

Apart from fans that hate their own franchise of course.
The owner sitting in film sessions? I’m done here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also, GTFOH with your questioning of fandom - if it bothers you that much, nobody is forcing you to be here.
Great point. You question why many of us question a terrible organization that just got done feeding us 4-13. Why don’t you question why you post here if you don’t like the doom and gloom?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think we can let this thread die now :)