Poll: Peyton Manning

Acquiring Manning

• Total voters

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Let's say come the end of February that Peyton Manning is cleared by doctors and deemed 100% healthy to continue his career and Indy is looking to trade him. I doubt Indy takes anything less than a 1st round pick. If you're the Cards would you give the #13 overall pick for him? Or do you wait for Indy to release him? Trading for him eliminates the competition and guarantees you get him, which is always a good thing with the way the Snail handles free agency. The downside is you absorb his contract and give up your first round pick. The upside is you just became very strong NFC contenders for the next 3-4 years.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We should probably start discouraging the "trade for him talk, based on this article from NFP.
What about Peyton’s contract?

Manning and agent Tom Condon leveraged a contract that forces the Colts to decide on Manning before the start of the 2012 League Year.

You mean they can’t trade Peyton?

No. Manning is due a $28 million option bonus due five days prior to the start of the 2012 League Year, on March 8th. The start of the 2012 League Year and trading is March 13th. Thus, the Colts have to either pay Manning $28 million – which means they will keep him for the foreseeable future – or not pay him, which means he will become a free agent available to sign with any team.

Could the Colts carry both Manning and Luck?

In 2012, Manning will cost $35.4 million -- the $28 million option bonus plus $7.4 million salary. Luck, although limited to about $23 million over four years, will get a signing bonus and salary of around $15.4 million. Thus, to carry both, in 2012 along, would cost close to $51 million. It is Jim Irsay's money and he can do as he wish, but that seems unwieldy.

Wouldn’t the Colts renegotiate to try to push the option date back?

They can try, but it is hard to see the incentive that Manning would have to do so, as he would like his situation resolved as soon as possible. The only reason Manning may do so is to facilitate a trade or to take less money to accomodate another situation such as Luck. Both seem unlikely.

So what would you think you the Colts do?

Emotion will run high with Jim Irsay here in leaning to keep Manning, but it may make more sense to move on. Saying goodbye to the face of the franchise is difficult, but the confluence of (1) having the top pick in the Draft with a special quarterback available, (2) Manning’s uncertain health -- he has now had three neck surgeries -- and (3) Manning's burdensome contract may all conspire to make a change.

Here's a thought: maybe the new president/general manager of the Colts is Peyton Manning.....

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now the Colts could opt to pay Manning the bonus and then move him for players (who will want to re-negotiate their contract) or draft picks (which is more appealing with the new rookie slotting scale).

They'd basically be investing $30M to use Manning to get more pieces to support Luck.

If Irsay wants to spend that money for that purpose then trading is still on the table, but that's a shocking about of money to give for no return guarantee of return on investment.

The Colts would have to assume the rest of the team would get into a bidding war for Manning. That seems likely, but they'd all be smart enough to drive down asking prices by questioning the neck and the new contract Peyton would command. Let's assume that the Palmer trade set the market. That makes the asking price at minimum two first rounders and another early pick.

That a lot for any time to give up.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Let's say come the end of February that Peyton Manning is cleared by doctors and deemed 100% healthy to continue his career and Indy is looking to trade him. I doubt Indy takes anything less than a 1st round pick. If you're the Cards would you give the #13 overall pick for him? Or do you wait for Indy to release him? Trading for him eliminates the competition and guarantees you get him, which is always a good thing with the way the Snail handles free agency. The downside is you absorb his contract and give up your first round pick. The upside is you just became very strong NFC contenders for the next 3-4 years.

Peyton Manning coming to the Cards is so far out there as I do not even know why we are discussing this. Why would he come as he will not go to the highest bidder. He will go to where he has the best chance for a ring. Why would he come to the Cards with our reputation? Would the Bidwils pay $27 million dollars for anyone especially one with multiple neck fusions. Why are we discussing this? I will do my best to respond no more to Peyton Manning and the Cards post.

Kiper projected the junior Arkansas QB as the 3rd best QB in the draft. Yesterday he announced he would return to school to get his degree.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Now the Colts could opt to pay Manning the bonus and then move him for players (who will want to re-negotiate their contract) or draft picks (which is more appealing with the new rookie slotting scale).

They'd basically be investing $30M to use Manning to get more pieces to support Luck.

If Irsay wants to spend that money for that purpose then trading is still on the table, but that's a shocking about of money to give for no return guarantee of return on investment.

The Colts would have to assume the rest of the team would get into a bidding war for Manning. That seems likely, but they'd all be smart enough to drive down asking prices by questioning the neck and the new contract Peyton would command. Let's assume that the Palmer trade set the market. That makes the asking price at minimum two first rounders and another early pick.

That a lot for any time to give up.

What makes sense to me is for Manning to come back if he is healthy and let Luck train under him. Due to his monster salary he would need to give the Colts some relief which he easily could as who knows how many hundreds of millions he is worth. The opposite side of this is guys like Luck are NFL ready now and want to play now not three years down the road. I do not know how you get around that. The Colts have a lot more problems than just Manning and even with him next year may not be a contender. They have a lot of holes. They could probably get someones first 4-5 draft choices for Manning to fill a lot of those holes if it were a team acceptable to Manning.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Kiper projected the junior Arkansas QB as the 3rd best QB in the draft. Yesterday he announced he would return to school to get his degree.
Tyler Wilson is my favorite QB coming out of college, whether this year or next.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he pick the cardinals.
Friends with whiz
Great receiver
Good town to play in
Easy Division

People say bidwills not willing to spend. Under this new CBA they have to. If you get Peyton Manning people will follow. Possibly Reggie Wayne, and others.

Don't know why so many Cards fan are throwing this out. If "released" I can see Peyton in a Cardinals uniform.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Tyler Wilson is my favorite QB coming out of college, whether this year or next.
Luck
Barkley
RGIII
Wilson

Peyton would do wonders for this team. He would put the Cards on the map, and would reinvigorate the fan base. He could easily overcome the O-Lines shortcomings as well. With his innate ability to read the defense, he would be able to call proper line protections, plus put the offense in the best play possible to maximize efficiency. Chances of him actually coming to AZ is extremely unlikely. However, with him on the Cards, the probability of making the playoffs and being competetive is multiplied by 100.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Luck
Barkley
RGIII
Wilson
It's hard to argue he's better than Luck but I'll take him over the other 2 in a heartbeat. I've watched him play alot and his ceiling is every bit as high as Luck's, maybe higher because he has a better arm, but he has more question marks than Luck.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's hard to argue he's better than Luck but I'll take him over the other 2 in a heartbeat. I've watched him play alot and his ceiling is every bit as high as Luck's, maybe higher because he has a better arm, but he has more question marks than Luck.
I wouldn't say his ceiling is higher than Luck's, that's a huge stretch, but he certainly has a higher ceiling than Barkley. Wilson has a strong arm, he's pretty accurate, and he has decent footwork in the pocket. His biggest issue is dealing with pressure. When the pocket starts to collapse, he has a tendency to throw off his back foot and doesn't do a great job of re-setting his feet when he reads through progressions. Barkley is rated higher than Wilson simply because he makes better reads, has much better footwork, and can throw better on the run, but those are things Wilson can easily improve on. If he has another strong performance next year, look for him to be the 2nd QB taken after Barkley.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
For those wanting to trade for him, who do you cut to get under the cap if he refuses to reduce his 35 million cap hit? Haven't seen the numbers for next year yet, but that would probably put us up against it if not over. I'm all for renting Manning for a year or 3, but no way do I take on that contract as it stands. If he wanted to renegotiate that 28 mil into three 10 million roster bonuses over 3 years, with maybe 8 mil salary fine.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Kolb. Porter. Levi.

Levi isn't under contract and I don't believe Porter is either, so they aren't on the books anyway. Kolb obviously....Dockett?? Wilson?? Don't resign CC?? 35 million is alot of space to clear (without knowing our cap situation for next year). That being said, Manning has always restructured to help the Colts, guess he'd do it here also, especially considering it would be his last drive for a championship.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Levi isn't under contract and I don't believe Porter is either, so they aren't on the books anyway. Kolb obviously....Dockett?? Wilson?? Don't resign CC?? 35 million is alot of space to clear (without knowing our cap situation for next year). That being said, Manning has always restructured to help the Colts, guess he'd do it here also, especially considering it would be his last drive for a championship.

Levi is under contract for now but will have to take a pay cut or just be cut as his salary balloons next year.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

He won't take 35 million for one year. They'll cut Kolb, Heap, and Bradley and be set to franchise CC, get a Manningham type WR, and draft 3 OL.

It may cost us our ability to sign CC longterm but if Peytons healthy thru duration of 3 or. 4 year contract is worth it.

Wrap it up championship.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Levi I believe is a team option, and his salary would be around $16M if optioned. Porter is done. Colts wouldn't trade for Kolb. The 3 defenders better be kept (Dockett is a monster in his prime, CC is a young developing monster, A-Dub is our first franchise player in our non-sucking franchise history). I would love Peyton Manning, he's a phenomenal player and a great personality off the field, him and Fitz would be a match made in heaven. I don't see any trade working, but I do think we have a real legit chance of picking him up in free agency. He's not the same rags-to-riches Disney movie story as Kurt, but he is a Super Bowl winning future HOF QB just like Kurt. Sadly, he has the same down-side, in the twilight of his career and durability questions. Hopefully, we get him and he buys us enough time to find a franchise QB while still being awesome

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IF he is healthy and can play...

HELL YEA!!!!!!!

Give him a 3 year, $45 mil, $20-$25 mil guaranteed deal. Worth the risk IMO.

If he gets more than that from someone else, at least the Cards would have given it a good shot.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson