Poll: Final Two Cuts

Final Two Cuts (pick 2):

• Total voters

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Who do you think will be the final two cuts before the season?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Johnson is a lock to get cut. None of the other 3 would surprise me but my money is on Bol. He's easily the most useless in the near term and, I think, we could keep him on a 2 way deal after dumping his contract. I don't see anyone claiming Bol either... seeing as he already went unclaimed on waivers once in the last few months. Despite the hype and fan favoritism, his track record shows that the league is not particularly intrigued.

Bol thinks he's a guard, despite completely lacking even the basic skills for the role. If he could accept himself as an interior shot blocker and a rim runner, he'd have a career, but this fantasy of him being a dribbler and outside shooter is going to run him out of the league quick.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Johnson is a lock to get cut. None of the other 3 would surprise me but my money is on Bol. He's easily the most useless in the near term and, I think, we could keep him on a 2 way deal after dumping his contract. I don't see anyone claiming Bol either... seeing as he already went unclaimed on waivers once in the last few months. Despite the hype and fan favoritism, his track record shows that the league is not particularly intrigued.

Bol thinks he's a guard, despite completely lacking even the basic skills for the role. If he could accept himself as an interior shot blocker and a rim runner, he'd have a career, but this fantasy of him being a dribbler and outside shooter is going to run him out of the league quick.
Bol has no center skills as well…

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keon and Ish. Bol still has some intrigue and I think they will give that experiment just a little longer.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Bol and Ish. Ish is partially guaranteed and can come back on a 2-way, to be rewarded next year if desired. Bol is a pure developmental player, not fitting in this phase of the franchise.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Vogel is the wrong coach to develop Bol. Maybe it's out of necessity as well but he's not a Center and Vogel keeps playing him as one. I know, preseason, but it hasn't helped see what he could become.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Vogel is the wrong coach to develop Bol. Maybe it's out of necessity as well but he's not a Center and Vogel keeps playing him as one. I know, preseason, but it hasn't helped see what he could become.

Disagree.

One, it's only been a few preseason games.

Two, Bol IS a center, it is the position he is least terrible at. He can't shoot outside, he can't shoot mid range, he can't dribble, he can't pass, he can't set solid screens... can he finish around the rim? Yeah. Can provide help defense around the rim? Yep.

While he would be absolutely pathetic as a guard, he also isn't an ideal center. He gets shoved around and isn't good on the glass, but there is a reason he's been dumped so much. If he ever makes it in this league, it will be because of his height advantage around the basket.

I don't know who the right coach would be to develop Bol, but whoever it is, would need to make him buy in on playing in the interior. If that doesn't happen he is going to depart from the league rather quickly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Keon is a near lock to get cut, because he's played 2 years and been reeeeeeeally bad, worse than anyone else on the roster by quite a bit.

I would still keep him over Bol. Keon has the athletic ability and physical traits that with the right nudge or personal focus on his part... he could develop into a decent player (we also have his bird rights).

While Bol... I don't see a path where Bol is anything more than a human victory cigar. Someone you put out there to get the home fans one more big cheer at the end of a win. And even on the long shot that he somehow stops being completely terrible... we don't have his bird rights, so the incentive to patiently develop him isn't really there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree.

One, it's only been a few preseason games.

Two, Bol IS a center, it is the position he is least terrible at. He can't shoot outside, he can't shoot mid range, he can't dribble, he can't pass, he can't set solid screens... can he finish around the rim? Yeah. Can provide help defense around the rim? Yep.

While he would be absolutely pathetic as a guard, he also isn't an ideal center. He gets shoved around and isn't good on the glass, but there is a reason he's been dumped so much. If he ever makes it in this league, it will be because of his height advantage around the basket.

I don't know who the right coach would be to develop Bol, but whoever it is, would need to make him buy in on playing in the interior. If that doesn't happen he is going to depart from the league rather quickly.

He can shoot though. I think he should be in a Channing Frye stretch 4 role. Defensively he can be a weak side help defender but he's terrible as a primary paint defender.

I don't think he'll pan out here and I'm not blaming Vogel for that. He's a long shot that needs coddled and mentored but we don't have the time or proper personnel to help along his development. He's likely to be cut, as things stand. He hasn't shown much skill at all but based on what I've seen of him prior to coming to Phoenix, he's been used differently and that has helped him produce a little more but it was also on a team that wasn't concerned with winning. We don't have the luxury of allowing him to play to his strengths when that would alienate his teammates and lead to us losing. He probably will fare better on a losing team if he hopes to stay in the league otherwise he's going to have forget everything he's done before and let Vogel sculpt him from the ground up to be serviceable here.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd cut 3 and bring in Biz if he's still available. At least one of our two good bigs will spend some time this season injured methinks. I think center is our vulnerability.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keon is the easy first.

Ish - good locker room guy, teammate, can play defense on the wing and center IF needed on small ball. Can shoot 3's, he did win a game for us so there's that. I think on a bad team he can be a rotation guy, you can't say that about Bol or Keon. Ish has held his own on defense and makes good veteran reads. I think he's the kind of guy we need right now, rather than an inexperienced guy trying to find his role.

Bol Bol - the tall guard, his defense is pretty bad in all areas. Can't guard wing guys, can't guard true PF's and centers. He does a lot of weak side help though for blocks (mostly goal tends). He does flash once in a while, crowd favorite kind of guy, but lets face it he's not going to get a steady dose of minutes as this team is constructed. I do feel like he can learn from the stars on this team and just being part of a winning culture can help him and his career out, i hope he sees that.

Even with all the negatives on Bol, my vote for second guy is D Lee. D lee shoots a very good 3pt percentage, and that's about it. Matador on defense, undersized, not a strong body for defense. We have guys who can shoot and do more than Lee. We have Gordon, Allen, and Yuta to do the same function but provide more of everything; shooting, strength, defense, and IQ.

I look at choosing this spot in which player is the biggest liability, those players are Keon and D Lee.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keon is the easy first.

Ish - good locker room guy, teammate, can play defense on the wing and center IF needed on small ball. Can shoot 3's, he did win a game for us so there's that. I think on a bad team he can be a rotation guy, you can't say that about Bol or Keon. Ish has held his own on defense and makes good veteran reads. I think he's the kind of guy we need right now, rather than an inexperienced guy trying to find his role.

Bol Bol - the tall guard, his defense is pretty bad in all areas. Can't guard wing guys, can't guard true PF's and centers. He does a lot of weak side help though for blocks (mostly goal tends). He does flash once in a while, crowd favorite kind of guy, but lets face it he's not going to get a steady dose of minutes as this team is constructed. I do feel like he can learn from the stars on this team and just being part of a winning culture can help him and his career out, i hope he sees that.

Even with all the negatives on Bol, my vote for second guy is D Lee. D lee shoots a very good 3pt percentage, and that's about it. Matador on defense, undersized, not a strong body for defense. We have guys who can shoot and do more than Lee. We have Gordon, Allen, and Yuta to do the same function but provide more of everything; shooting, strength, defense, and IQ.

I look at choosing this spot in which player is the biggest liability, those players are Keon and D Lee.
The only reason I did not choose D Lee was that he has a guaranteed contract (I think).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason I did not choose D Lee was that he has a guaranteed contract (I think).

Guaranteed minimum deal this year with a player option for next year. However Keon Johnson is owed a bit above the minimum this year so money is close to the same overall cutting either. Lee could count against the cap next year but we're in tax territory and that isn't a big concern. It can be stretched also, I believe, to effect us less.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can shoot though. I think he should be in a Channing Frye stretch 4 role. Defensively he can be a weak side help defender but he's terrible as a primary paint defender.

I don't think he'll pan out here and I'm not blaming Vogel for that. He's a long shot that needs coddled and mentored but we don't have the time or proper personnel to help along his development. He's likely to be cut, as things stand. He hasn't shown much skill at all but based on what I've seen of him prior to coming to Phoenix, he's been used differently and that has helped him produce a little more but it was also on a team that wasn't concerned with winning. We don't have the luxury of allowing him to play to his strengths when that would alienate his teammates and lead to us losing. He probably will fare better on a losing team if he hopes to stay in the league otherwise he's going to have forget everything he's done before and let Vogel sculpt him from the ground up to be serviceable here.

He is a terrible shooter from every distance except right around the rim. I know there are clips of him making threes but he shoots under 30% from the outside for his career.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't teach 7 feet or that kind of handle and agility. Ya gotta give it an effort to see if something can be developed. That's why you keep Bol over a guard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't teach 7 feet or that kind of handle and agility. Ya gotta give it an effort to see if something can be developed. That's why you keep Bol over a guard.

He doesn't have a handle, he's a turnover machine.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a cut that I thought should be made, but I'm still somewhat surprised it happened.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Wainright clears waivers and is eligible, he could well end up back with the Suns on a two-way contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the final cut is probably between Keon Johnson, Danion Lee or Bol Bol.

It wouldn't shock me if the Suns made more than two cuts if they like a player that clears waivers.

They may also be shopping for another two-way player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard