Pokemon GO

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another GPS-based augmented reality game from Niantic using many of the same portals and locations used in Ingress.

People are getting robbed and finding dead bodies while playing Pokemon Go

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/11/12142366/pokemon-go-robbed-dead-body-crazy-stories

It’s all fun and games until somebody gets robbed. Or finds a dead body. Or has their home turned into a Pokestop.

It feels as though everyone and their mother is playing the new smartphone game Pokemon Go, which requires users to actually venture off their couch and into the real world to find, capture and train their fictitious Pokemon characters.

The concept is kinda cool, which is why kids and adults seem obsessed with it, and why it’s been the No. 1 app in the App Store since its launch on Thursday and is currently No. 1 in the Google Play store, too.

But a bunch of smartphone-wielding youngsters walking around the streets looking for Pokemon hasn’t been entirely without incident. The game isn’t even a week old and already some crazy stuff has happened to its roaming horde of Pokemon trainers.

In Missouri (and probably other places), people are getting robbed while playing the game. On Sunday morning, Missouri’s O’Fallon Police Department posted a warning on Facebook that thieves were targeting Pokestops — real-world locations that users visit to accomplish tasks within the augmented-reality game.

“Apparently they were using the app to locate ppl standing around in the middle of a parking lot or whatever other location they were in,” the post reads.

One of those Pokestops, not in Missouri, was apparently some guy’s home. On Sunday, a Twitter user by the name of Boon Sheridan tweeted that his house, an old church, was labeled as a Pokemon Gym inside the app. Cars and strangers were loitering outside his property all day.

“I’ve officially stopped counting after easily 30+ people walking up and as many cars pulling up for a few minutes,” Sheridan tweeted as part of a fascinating tweet thread.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

An Australian police station was also listed as a Pokestop and had to remind users on Facebook that they didn’t actually need to come inside the station to play the game.

Other users on the hunt for Pokemon have had ... err ... interesting days. A 19-year-old woman found a dead body floating in a river near her home in Wyoming while looking for Pokemon.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an Ingress player, I already knew Pokemon Go was coming. It is interesting to see so many more people out and about while I am playing Ingress. We were at Dana Park the other day and the place was packed with people walking around either on their own or in groups playing the new game in addition to the regulars playing Ingress.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was at the park playing soccer this weekend (it was noon, 105 degrees, and the park was desolate) and people kept driving up, parking for 5 minutes, getting out and walking around then getting back in their cars and leaving.

I started to get a little freaked out, so I grabbed my keys and cellphone and kept them in my pocket the whole time.

"is this a hotspot for robberies, especially since i'm all alone out here?"

"is this a place for drug deals, and I'm interrupting their meet up spot?"

super sketchy, right?

finally I saw a younger girl copy the above pattern so I finally just walked over to her and asked what was going on.

"we're playing pokemon go!"

...wow.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an Ingress player, I already knew Pokemon Go was coming. It is interesting to see so many more people out and about while I am playing Ingress. We were at Dana Park the other day and the place was packed with people walking around either on their own or in groups playing the new game in addition to the regulars playing Ingress.

It's run by the same company that does Ingress. All of the pokestops are reused from Ingress and they even have the same photos. If you play Ingress you will be overrun by people playing Pokeman Go.

My kids love it. We go out walking together and they hunt for pokeman to capture.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the download is free. If you want to certain items and features, you have to buy them.

Yep...to the tune of $1.6 million per day...and that's only revenue from iOS device users, I believe.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Alternate Headline: Millions of People Having a Lot of Fun with Gaming Phenomenon

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walked around for an hour with my teenager last night while she played

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the download is free. If you want to certain items and features, you have to buy them.

And companies are paying to have rare ones in their stores. Initial report I heard this morning, store sales are up on average 70% because of the game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The game is also sending kids across busy highways to find the stuff--and then they are getting hit by cars.

Disturbing to say the least--the Holocaust museum thing is sickening as well.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy in New York totaled his car into a tree while playing the game and driving. Two guys illegally crossed a fence near a cliff in Cali and fell off the cliff and needed to be rescued.

SMH.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 16-year-old (for another 39 minutes, anyway--happy birthday!) told me right off the bat that this game would be a pedophile's wet dream, and I gotta agree with her. It's GOING to happen. :(

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 16-year-old (for another 39 minutes, anyway--happy birthday!) told me right off the bat that this game would be a pedophile's wet dream, and I gotta agree with her. It's GOING to happen. :(

Yep. The "Lure module" feature where you can basically make a Pokestop a beacon to call other players to a location has already resulted in players being robbed. It definitely could be used to lure unsuspecting youths right to a predator. Players just need to be aware of their surroundings and who is around while they play the game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game is also sending kids across busy highways to find the stuff--and then they are getting hit by cars.

Disturbing to say the least--the Holocaust museum thing is sickening as well.

Having seen the game played, any kid who is going on the highway to catch one is just stupid. They are everywhere, my daughter caught like 8 within a half mile walk. There is no need to put yourself in danger to play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Having seen the game played, any kid who is going on the highway to catch one is just stupid. They are everywhere, my daughter caught like 8 within a half mile walk. There is no need to put yourself in danger to play.
Easy for you to say. Do you know anything about teenagers and cell phones? :)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And companies are paying to have rare ones in their stores. Initial report I heard this morning, store sales are up on average 70% because of the game.

Heard this as well. I was at the San Tan mall on Tuesday and I saw so many people walking around in the courtyard. I was waiting for one of my daughters to do this theatre class, so I decided to take my other little one around the mall as we waited. We went into this little family owned ice cream shop and I was asking her about these people walking around playing P Go. She then told me that this game has increased their sales by so much. She said there is usually no one around here during the week, but now there are people coming in all the time.

To me, this is a great concept (if done carefully). Great for Nintendo to do this and its awesome to see business sales on the rise. I have no clue how it works, but hopefully the craze keeps going to help out our economy. The downside, phone zombies and people not paying attention to their surroundings. Guess that is nothing different than it used to be, but now its just on steroids:billthecat:!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard this as well. I was at the San Tan mall on Tuesday and I saw so many people walking around in the courtyard. I was waiting for one of my daughters to do this theatre class, so I decided to take my other little one around the mall as we waited. We went into this little family owned ice cream shop and I was asking her about these people walking around playing P Go. She then told me that this game has increased their sales by so much. She said there is usually no one around here during the week, but now there are people coming in all the time.

To me, this is a great concept (if done carefully). Great for Nintendo to do this and its awesome to see business sales on the rise. I have no clue how it works, but hopefully the craze keeps going to help out our economy. The downside, phone zombies and people not paying attention to their surroundings. Guess that is nothing different than it used to be, but now its just on steroids:billthecat:!

Thankfully I am with my son when he is playing so I can ensure he is safe walking around.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Anybody following this?

I went to the park with my daughter last night to find monsters and there were literally about 500 people there all playing this game. It was funny because they all walk around really slow looking down at their phones. It looks just like a scene from the Walking Dead.

This Augmented Reality is very cool though. It will be interesting to see if it really catches on or is just a fad. Either way its awesome to see people out walking, interacting and enjoying the park together.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison