Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Rubio fan at all but if I had to choose between paying him 10 to 12 per for 3 years or paying Russell almost 30 million per for 4 years, I think I'd lean towards Ricky.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what I am really down to hoping for - that Jalen Leque becomes the answer to our problems.

That's pretty sad, but that is where I'm at.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, that's far better than Corey Joseph.

True... but I still expect to end up with Joseph.

In any case, if the Suns are focused on these bottom feeders, they damn well better be resigning Oubre. If we end up spending our vaunted "cap space" on one of these guys and someone like Wilson Chandler on the cheap while Oubre walks, most of whatever is left of the fans will be checking out permanently.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not a Rubio fan at all but if I had to choose between paying him 10 to 12 per for 3 years or paying Russell almost 30 million per for 4 years, I think I'd lean towards Ricky.

Rubio could fall off a cliff any minute while D’Lo is 23. Plus he’s BFF’s with Book and while the whole NBA buddy/buddy era is annoying it’s the reality of the league these days. Gotta keep your stars happy.

I’m not in the camp of laughing off the possibility of Booker becoming disgruntled eventually...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what I am really down to hoping for - that Jalen Leque becomes the answer to our problems.

That's pretty sad, but that is where I'm at.

Not me, I have a far more realistic fantasy. I'm hoping that Melton, Okobo, Jalen and Jared Harper all become all star level point guards so that we can keep the pair we want and package the other two for a taller Zion Williamson. But yeah, I'd gladly settle for your dream.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Russell has always been a pipe dream. Rubio could at least help the franchise inch back toward respectability. Anything above 30 wins next season would be a huge step forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russell has always been a pipe dream. Rubio could at least help the franchise inch back toward respectability. Anything above 30 wins next season would be a huge step forward.

The problem is that Rubio can't shoot, which means more crowding of Booker, Ayton and our spot-up shooters.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet somehow his team won 50 games last season.

It helped to have an athletic creator like Donovan Mitchell on the roster with him, not to mention two guys in the post who could demand the double-team in Gobert and Favors. Add a much better power forward (and one with an inside presence, rather than just another spot-up shooter) next to Ayton or give Booker Mitchell's athleticism and ball-handling ability, and Rubio might be able to work here...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio could fall off a cliff any minute while D’Lo is 23. Plus he’s BFF’s with Book and while the whole NBA buddy/buddy era is annoying it’s the reality of the league these days. Gotta keep your stars happy.

I’m not in the camp of laughing off the possibility of Booker becoming disgruntled eventually...

Yeah, making Booker happy is a legitimate point but I can't help but worry about the fallout if their styles don't mesh. They both need the ball and I don't believe Devin would accept being relegated to the catch and shoot player he was initially billed as.

As for Booker's situation, I'm in the camp that believes he's already disgruntled, just not at the trade me or else level yet. If our moves this season backfire I wouldn't be surprised if we started hearing whispers from his camp by the all star break.

I don't think those whispers will become screams for a couple of years but the way the league is changing, who knows. So while I might consider it a factor in our personnel decisions going forward, I don't think we can really afford to let it play too big of a role in our decision making. That's not to say signing Russell to the max would necessarily be out of line, it just depends on how much we really like the player and his fit.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, making Booker happy is a legitimate point but I can't help but worry about the fallout if their styles don't mesh. They both need the ball and I don't believe Devin would accept being relegated to the catch and shoot player he was initially billed as.

As for Booker's situation, I'm in the camp that believes he's already disgruntled, just not at the trade me or else level yet. If our moves this season backfire I wouldn't be surprised if we started hearing whispers from his camp by the all star break.

I don't think those whispers will become screams for a couple of years but the way the league is changing, who knows. So while I might consider it a factor in our personnel decisions going forward, I don't think we can really afford to let it play too big of a role in our decision making. That's not to say signing Russell to the max would necessarily be out of line, it just depends on how much we really like the player and his fit.

The problem is that Devin IS the catch and shoot player he was initially billed as...

As for Booker's mentality at this point, you and I are actually very much on the same page. I just expect the whispers to become screams sooner than you do if this season goes the way of the last two.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with this and I'm back and forth on being a Rubio fan. I was 100% sold on him last offseason when we hired Igor and then he had a down year and we fired Igor so I'm less sold on signing him but for the money I do like him more than Russell. He is a PG that will make his teammates better, plays good defense, and is a semi-decent 3pt shooter. I think his 3pt shooting will improve here with Booker and Ayton taking pressure off of him and allowing him more open looks, but he'll probably be a 35% 3pt shooter which is just enough to keep defenses honest. His ability to drive will keep defenders on him at 3pt range though. He's also not too old and should be able to fit well with who we have for the next couple of seasons.

I can see Rubio averaging numbers like he did on the Wolves here, which was 11 & 9 his last season in Minnesota. If he could give us 12 & 8 I'd be happy, especially if he could chip in 2 steals and shoot 35% from 3.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rubio is only 28. I don't see why he'd fall off a cliff here or on his next contract. He should be capable of playing 3-4 productive years. He's entering his prime right now based on when other NBA players peak so I don't know why you'd expect his production to fall off a cliff.

On the other hand I could Russell struggling on a team that isn't his like the Nets were. I don't think that'll happen but it's a possibility, for sure. Rubio had the ball taken from his hands more in Utah and that contributed to his statistical decline. Russell had the ball put in his hands more and that is part of why he peaked statistically.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

A big-3/core of Booker, D’Lo and Ayton will likely never be a contender due to defensive issues but they’d be entertaining and likable. I’ve just readjusted my hopes after watching this team for the last decade. Oubre would need to be a motivated version of Lamar Odom and Bridges would need to be Bruce Bowen on steroids for that squad to do any kind of damage.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rubio is only 28. I don't see why he'd fall off a cliff here or on his next contract. He should be capable of playing 3-4 productive years. He's entering his prime right now based on when other NBA players peak so I don't know why you'd expect his production to fall off a cliff.

On the other hand I could Russell struggling on a team that isn't his like the Nets were. I don't think that'll happen but it's a possibility, for sure. Rubio had the ball taken from his hands more in Utah and that contributed to his statistical decline. Russell had the ball put in his hands more and that is part of why he peaked statistically.

I’ve noticed a notable decline in foot speed from his Minny days. Maybe it’s age or the hamstring and hip issues. If I knew we’d get two solid years out of three I’d be on the fence of just rolling with TJ instead.

His advanced numbers last year were a little better than I thought with Utah.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big-3/core of Booker, D’Lo and Ayton will likely never be a contender due to defensive issues but they’d be entertaining and likable. I’ve just readjusted my hopes after watching this team for the last decade. Oubre would need to be a motivated version of Lamar Odom and Bridges would need to be Bruce Bowen on steroids for that squad to do any kind of damage.

That's certainly understandable and I'm in the same ballpark but I'm still holding out a little hope (a very little hope) that Ayton becomes a generational star. If that happens, we might regret putting ourselves in a tough situation cap-wise. I know Russell's contract would likely be off the books by the time Ayton peaks but it might keep us from doing the right thing in the interim.

If it's not clear after all I've said, I could be talked into Russell, I'm just a little leery.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Rubio isn't worth 5 mil year which is why 10-12 which he'd probably get from us would make it that much worse of a signing. He's the worst case scenario for this year in my eyes mark my words we will all be wanting him off the team very early in the year

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

If this is Rubio's prime I'd hate to see what he looks like at the end of his career

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
D.Rose on a two yr deal might be suns best choice.

High Basketball IQ, can score and knows how to win. He may come cheap behind Irving Kemba and DLo he might be the best PG for the suns.

Last season played on a one year 2.4 million dollar deal. Suns can upgrade that and be set at PG until next season when a few good PG are available.