Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

TigToad

Registered
Reaction score
Sad counter. I might almost care this season if we sign Russell. Rubio is as stop-gap as it gets. Makes less sense not getting a point guard in the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Rubio fan at all but if I had to choose between paying him 10 to 12 per for 3 years or paying Russell almost 30 million per for 4 years, I think I'd lean towards Ricky.

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know what I am really down to hoping for - that Jalen Leque becomes the answer to our problems.

That's pretty sad, but that is where I'm at.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, that's far better than Corey Joseph.

True... but I still expect to end up with Joseph.

In any case, if the Suns are focused on these bottom feeders, they damn well better be resigning Oubre. If we end up spending our vaunted "cap space" on one of these guys and someone like Wilson Chandler on the cheap while Oubre walks, most of whatever is left of the fans will be checking out permanently.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not a Rubio fan at all but if I had to choose between paying him 10 to 12 per for 3 years or paying Russell almost 30 million per for 4 years, I think I'd lean towards Ricky.

Rubio could fall off a cliff any minute while D’Lo is 23. Plus he’s BFF’s with Book and while the whole NBA buddy/buddy era is annoying it’s the reality of the league these days. Gotta keep your stars happy.

I’m not in the camp of laughing off the possibility of Booker becoming disgruntled eventually...

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what I am really down to hoping for - that Jalen Leque becomes the answer to our problems.

That's pretty sad, but that is where I'm at.

Not me, I have a far more realistic fantasy. I'm hoping that Melton, Okobo, Jalen and Jared Harper all become all star level point guards so that we can keep the pair we want and package the other two for a taller Zion Williamson. But yeah, I'd gladly settle for your dream.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Russell has always been a pipe dream. Rubio could at least help the franchise inch back toward respectability. Anything above 30 wins next season would be a huge step forward.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russell has always been a pipe dream. Rubio could at least help the franchise inch back toward respectability. Anything above 30 wins next season would be a huge step forward.

The problem is that Rubio can't shoot, which means more crowding of Booker, Ayton and our spot-up shooters.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And yet somehow his team won 50 games last season.

It helped to have an athletic creator like Donovan Mitchell on the roster with him, not to mention two guys in the post who could demand the double-team in Gobert and Favors. Add a much better power forward (and one with an inside presence, rather than just another spot-up shooter) next to Ayton or give Booker Mitchell's athleticism and ball-handling ability, and Rubio might be able to work here...