Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D.Rose on a two yr deal might be suns best choice.

High Basketball IQ, can score and knows how to win. He may come cheap behind Irving Kemba and DLo he might be the best PG for the suns.

Too much of an injury risk, and the last thing this team can afford is to be stuck playing Booker/Tyler Johnson extended minutes at the point again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not a Rubio fan at all but if I had to choose between paying him 10 to 12 per for 3 years or paying Russell almost 30 million per for 4 years, I think I'd lean towards Ricky.
Going after Rubio also means that we could hang onto both Tyler and Oubre while also having enough available next off season to fit in a max player. This gives us both a deeper rotation this year and more cap flexibility next year.

The two issues with going after Russell are whether or not he is the right guy to pair with Booker and Ayton that will have us competing for titles in the next few years (him getting 27m a year means he is locked in as one of the centerpieces of the core) and that if we go after him and we don't get him than we likely end up with nothing.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rubio isn't worth 5 mil year which is why 10-12 which he'd probably get from us would make it that much worse of a signing. He's the worst case scenario for this year in my eyes mark my words we will all be wanting him off the team very early in the year
Rubio is easily worth $5M per year. I get that you don't like him and I'm not all that fond myself, but your comment borders on ridiculous, imo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Going after Rubio also means that we could hang onto both Tyler and Oubre while also having enough available next off season to fit in a max player. This gives us both a deeper rotation this year and more cap flexibility next year.

The two issues with going after Russell are whether or not he is the right guy to pair with Booker and Ayton that will have us competing for titles in the next few years (him getting 27m a year means he is locked in as one of the centerpieces of the core) and that if we go after him and we don't get him than we likely end up with nothing.

The following will be free agents in 2020 (* by point guards and power forwards, which remain our positions of need):

Kyle Lowry*, Gordon Hayward, Paul Millsap*, DeMar DeRozan, Otto Porter Jr., Andre Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, Nicolas Batum, Chandler Parsons, Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka*, Danilo Gallinari, Jeff Teague*, George Hill*, Derrick Favors*, Allen Crabbe, Kent Bazemore, Evan Turner, Goran Dragic*, Draymond Green*, Reggie Jackson*, Andre Iguodala, Timofey Mozgov, Brandon Knight*, Marvin Williams*, Eric Gordon, Jordan Clarkson*, Fred VanVleet*, Markelle Fultz*, Lonzo Ball*, D.J. Augustin*, Jaylen Brown, Kris Dunn*, Tristan Thompson, Shaun Livingston*, Avery Bradley, Jahlil Okafor, Allonzo Trier, Andre Roberson, Yogi Ferrell*, Dejounte Murray*

Any of those worth a max?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Rubio is easily worth $5M per year. I get that you don't like him and I'm not all that fond myself, but your comment borders on ridiculous, imo.
Yeah, most of this stuff IS ridiculous. Rubio not worth 5m? What a joke. Aron Baynes is a $5m player. And he thinks Rubio is on that level? Ridiculous.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
He's gonna get more than that but he is not on Warren's level who's getting 12 mil , I watched probably 40 Utah games last year he was constantly the worst player on the court for them, missing layups jacking up bad shots with 14 seconds on the shot clock, we need a point guard that can score , we lost several games last year that could be blammed solely on our pgs shooting like s***

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's gonna get more than that but he is not on Warren's level who's getting 12 mil , I watched probably 40 Utah games last year he was constantly the worst player on the court for them, missing layups jacking up bad shots with 14 seconds on the shot clock

A horrifying description that similarly fits Tyler Johnson...

OP
OP
TigToad

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A big-3/core of Booker, D’Lo and Ayton will likely never be a contender due to defensive issues but they’d be entertaining and likable. I’ve just readjusted my hopes after watching this team for the last decade. Oubre would need to be a motivated version of Lamar Odom and Bridges would need to be Bruce Bowen on steroids for that squad to do any kind of damage.

Hard to project this. That’s a very young core. Russell is 23 and coming off of 21/7 per game. Ayton has only just touched on his potential, but looking like a rookie he put up big numbers.

I think it’s a playoff team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's gonna get more than that but he is not on Warren's level who's getting 12 mil , I watched probably 40 Utah games last year he was constantly the worst player on the court for them, missing layups jacking up bad shots with 14 seconds on the shot clock, we need a point guard that can score , we lost several games last year that could be blammed solely on our pgs shooting like s***
Wait a minute. I thought we need a point guard that can run and facilitate an offense? Now we need a PG that can score? When did that happen?

And he may not be the scorer that Warren is, but his value as a facilitator and passer exceeds Warren's value. I think 12m is just fine for a player like Rubio.

OP
OP
TigToad

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wait a minute. I thought we need a point guard that can run and facilitate an offense? Now we need a PG that can score? When did that happen?

And he may not be the scorer that Warren is, but his value as a facilitator and passer exceeds Warren's value. I think 12m is just fine for a player like Rubio.

I think it’s a bonus if he can score. I’d love Russell. If we got Rubio, I’d hope it would be as a place holder. A good choice had we a young point guard with potential. I just don’t think we do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The problem is that Rubio cannot shoot well enough to keep opposing defenses honest, which in my opinion leaves us in the same boat as last year with Melton (and, worse, Tyler Johnson) at the point.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

I won't post anymore about Rubio cus I've posted alot about him already but feel free to quote me on this in a few months if we sign him. He'll be just as bad a signing as ariza was last year!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Another interesting PG name that not many are talking about is Delon Wright. He was buried in Toronto behind Lowry and Van Vleet for the first bit of his career! But then he was traded to Memphis late last season. After they shut Conley down he got the chance to start the last 13 games and averaged 15+ pts 7+ rbs and 7+ assists. The sample size isn't huge, and end of the season stats can sometimes get skewed but he is definitely an interesting possibility. He is a restricted free agent, but with Ja in Memphis I can't imagine it would be too difficult to sign him to an offer sheet that Memphis wouldn't be inclined to match. I think there are better options out there, but if we can't sign them then Wright is definitely better than some of the other names being linked to us.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is that Rubio cannot shoot well enough to keep opposing defenses honest, which in my opinion leaves us in the same boat as last year with Melton (and, worse, Tyler Johnson) at the point.

Tyler Johnson is a career 36% 3 point shooter. Rubio is a career 32% 3 point shooter.

In what world is that worse?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that has me concerned with Rubio are his numbers, they havent seemed to deviated from when he came in the league to now, as well as the injuries. He does provide a nice basketball IQ, ball handling and some smart solid passes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that has me concerned with Rubio are his numbers, they havent seemed to deviated from when he came in the league to now, as well as the injuries. He does provide a nice basketball IQ, ball handling and some smart solid passes.

Yeah, he is what he is - a PG that you want to replace from your starting lineup as soon as possible.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson is a career 36% 3 point shooter. Rubio is a career 32% 3 point shooter.

In what world is that worse?

Because Tyler Johnson has poorer shot selection and is not as good or willing of a passer as is Rubio. In my opinion, neither is a good option for us at point guard, Tyler Johnson due to his poor shot selection and passing, and Rubio due to his inability to shoot.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Russel is off the table. I'd be happy with Rubio, Beverly, or Collison. I could be talked into Delon Wright or Tyus Jones.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Too much of an injury risk, and the last thing this team can afford is to be stuck playing Booker/Tyler Johnson extended minutes at the point again.

Only for a season or two until next year when suns can draft PG of the future if rose can play 100 or so out of 164 games in two years I would be ok with that. Next season suns will not be a contender so he can miss a few games

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Russel is off the table. I'd be happy with Rubio, Beverly, or Collison. I could be talked into Delon Wright or Tyus Jones.

If Russell and Brogdon are off the table (and I would actually prefer Brodgon over Russell, except for the fact that Booker is lobbying for the Suns to sign Russell, and I don't want Booker to be even more upset than he already is), I would be happy with Beverley, Collison or Delon Wright. I could be talked into Tyus Jones, Rubio or Derrick Rose. I would avoid Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph, Emmanuel Mudiay, TJ McConnell and Jeremy Lin at all costs.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If Russell and Brogdon are off the table (and I would actually prefer Brodgon over Russell, except for the fact that Booker is lobbying for the Suns to sign Russell, and I don't want Booker to be even more upset than he already is), I would be happy with Beverley, Collison or Delon Wright. I could be talked into Tyus Jones, Rubio or Derrick Rose. I would avoid Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph, Emmanuel Mudiay, TJ McConnell and Jeremy Lin at all costs.
For all of our disagreements, our PG wish lists are surprisingly similiar.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I would also be willing to do a straight-up trade of Tyler Johnson for Jeff Teague.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And yet somehow his team won 50 games last season.

Yes, and Rubio was one of the last factors that contributed to those 50 wins.

Having said that, he still represents an upgrade at PG for the Suns, but I would reluctantly offer him a multi-year contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the thing about Rubio - we are going to have to overpay him to sign him.

Why - because Indianapolis wants Rubio, and possibly Chicago.

He is clearly the next best PG after Beverley and Collison - and those 2 are not going to want to play for a bad team.

I really would rather just start Tyler Johnson - the numbers show he is almost as good as Rubio - and he is already under contract for a year. The upgrade is too small to justify a 3y 40 million dollar contract.

Personally I say throw our money at Russel or Brogdan, or don't spend any on a pg at all other than a minimum salary guy.