Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Oh HELL no! If I am Booker and Russell, and if I play in Phoenix, I want to add Towns to Ayton. I don't know how in the hells you do that contractually. If they are really serious, everyone takes a haircut. Magic did it back in the day. I think Larry may have done it. I remember a few guys doing it to make their teams better.

Just a side note, Ayton has never really had a good coach. Williams is known to have developed big men. I have a gut feeling we are going to see a big jump in Ayton's game over the course of this season. Just a hunch.
I had no idea a haircut had that kind of effect ha

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh HELL no! If I am Booker and Russell, and if I play in Phoenix, I want to add Towns to Ayton. I don't know how in the hells you do that contractually. If they are really serious, everyone takes a haircut. Magic did it back in the day. I think Larry may have done it.

I don't think you'll see much of this in today's era. Between Lebron coming to believe that the owner in Miami was getting rich while going cheap with role players and the inane and racist comments about NBA players by Donald Sterling, the attitude throughout the league seems to have shifted.

And, not necessarily related to the above, every time money comes up the former players that frequent all the sports talk shows always insist that each player should get every single penny they possibly can and they mock the idea of ever giving a discount.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I highly doubt a late first rounder that has not played a game yet is perceived as an heir apparent.

This is the Suns we’re talking about. They traded back in to draft Jerome. I wonder if that impacts their pursuit of free agent PGs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see much of this in today's era. Between Lebron coming to believe that the owner in Miami was getting rich while going cheap with role players and the inane and racist comments about NBA players by Donald Sterling, the attitude throughout the league seems to have shifted.

And, not necessarily related to the above, every time money comes up the former players that frequent all the sports talk shows always insist that each player should get every single penny they possibly can and they mock the idea of ever giving a discount.
Oh I get that! I hear it too. However, just as the NBA players themselves realized they could have a big three contracts on a team, someday 4 or 5 guys who want to play together will realize, we can't all get the max, and there will be one destination, like a Miami they all decide to go to and 4 or 5 guys will roll in taking less than max. I know it's unlikely, but it would have to be guys who already got paid, never won a championship, or like the Fab Five, maybe had the ability to all orchestrate a reunion on the NBA level. You may see some millenial NBA guys in the future realize, we are all getting rich, why not all play together?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bickley is speculating after speaking to some contacts in Minnesota that Booker, Russell, and Towns want to play together and if Russell goes to LA they know it will never happen.

Maybe this why we hear noise coming from Minny that they are trying to maneuver for Russell.

If the Suns do sign Russell, would Booker and Russell push Ayton out in a trade for Towns?

Interesting speculation nonetheless.
I heard this too. I would think that if you want to put together a championship caliber big three, one or two of them should actually try to play a little defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I get that! I hear it too. However, just as the NBA players themselves realized they could have a big three contracts on a team, someday 4 or 5 guys who want to play together will realize, we can't all get the max, and there will be one destination, like a Miami they all decide to go to and 4 or 5 guys will roll in taking less than max. I know it's unlikely, but it would have to be guys who already got paid, never won a championship, or like the Fab Five, maybe had the ability to all orchestrate a reunion on the NBA level. You may see some millenial NBA guys in the future realize, we are all getting rich, why not all play together?

Oh, I agree it will likely happen again but I wouldn't expect to see it often nor soon. Obviously it could happen at anytime but I suspect it won't be until after Lebron and Chris Paul retire as they have each played a role in shaping the league-wide opinion on this (IMO).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think we'll see 3, 4, or 5 stars team up for quite some time. I could see some players get together similar to what happened in Boston only it would be free agents that are on the downside of their careers joining up in a last ditch effort to win a title. I don't think we'll see something like the Miami Big 3 again though, with 3 players in their prime taking a discount to play together. It would make more sense for them to do it after getting their 2nd max deal, their first that they get after their rookie deals to really set them up. Then their second max is what pays them insane amounts of money. Then they'll be on the wrong side of 30 and if they hadn't won a title yet, they'll probably look at their options to form a superteam of sorts with their buddies.

We'll see some stars like Anthony Davis make moves because they don't trust their front office and want to be paired with another star for a chance to win but so long as a team drafts well and makes some decent moves, we won't see that happen a whole lot. With Booker and Ayton here, so long as they don't hate each other I think they should be enough to help each other win and compete when they start hitting their strides. Teams can afford 2 stars, its when they try to add a 3rd that it gets difficult.

It will probably be similar to what Kyrie and KD are doing right now, reportedly. Kyrie is a little younger but KD is on the other side of 30. They've both won titles and have been paid and they can help make it easy for the other to team up and have fun for the next few years, with less pressure on each of their shoulders as well. The thing is that both of them have won rings already so a title isn't a priority for them, at least I don't think it will be. It won't be like Anthony Davis going to LA to win. KD & Kyrie are after money and big market fringe benefits more than titles but we'll see some stars do similar things to get titles down the line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And so what?

Even as a teenager he was one of the best (if not the best) european players for years. He just jumped from a very high floor into the NBA.

Not understanding that is fairly ridiculous.
Anyone who thinks a 16 year old is at peak performance just isn’t rational.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You, among others.

Perceived potential as a fact? That's a contradiction in itself.

BTW, as I pointed out one comment was from his GM who obviously will say the nicest things about his player and the 2nd was from a minor contributor who did a little summary about the extension while mentionting his potential as a well-known panel when talking about young players.

These are your "facts".
The argument was about what people’s perceptions were at the time. You were provided written proof, from that time, as to what at least two peoples perceptions were - unless you say they were lying in those quotes, which a pate rly absurd argument to make. And you offer ZERO quotes evidencing perceptions to the contrary.

And the GM - the dude who gave him the contract - was being disingenuous about the reasoning behind giving him the contract?!? That’s your argument?!? If there was anyone in the world whose quote would matter on your argument IT’S HIM!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All I know, is I have never seen a potential free agent get so much love by Suns fans as D'Lo is getting. Twitter is aflame with D'Lo love on the Suns Twitter feed. Everywhere I go in town I hear people talking about him coming to Phoenix. I swear this has to be the number one sports topic right now, and we have a whole news Cards team getting ready to play, the Coyotes just made a big trade, Dbacks are fighting for survival, etc. Nope I am in stores and I hear, "Do you think the Suns are going to get D'Lo?"
Combination of desperation and dead time for news on cards. Oh and baseball and hockey are baseball and hockey.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bickley is speculating after speaking to some contacts in Minnesota that Booker, Russell, and Towns want to play together and if Russell goes to LA they know it will never happen.

Maybe this why we hear noise coming from Minny that they are trying to maneuver for Russell.

If the Suns do sign Russell, would Booker and Russell push Ayton out in a trade for Towns?

Interesting speculation nonetheless.
Hmm, a Dlo, book, Ayton and KAT core would sound good to me!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh HELL no! If I am Booker and Russell, and if I play in Phoenix, I want to add Towns to Ayton. I don't know how in the hells you do that contractually. If they are really serious, everyone takes a haircut. Magic did it back in the day. I think Larry may have done it. I remember a few guys doing it to make their teams better.

Just a side note, Ayton has never really had a good coach. Williams is known to have developed big men. I have a gut feeling we are going to see a big jump in Ayton's game over the course of this season. Just a hunch.
Exactly. Didn’t wade and bosh take haircuts to make the decision happen?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Combination of desperation and dead time for news on cards. Oh and baseball and hockey are baseball and hockey.
It's just nuts! I just went to Dollar Tree, and I hear a couple guys speaking spanish, and then I hear "spanish, spanish, spanish, D'Angelo Russell, spanish, spanish spanish, Suns, spanish, spanish, spanish." I am serious, does everyone in Phoenix know who D'Angelo Russell is? I am thinking the Suns are going to have to overcome major disappointment if we get free agents other than D'Angelo Russell.

Edited per @Ouchie-Z-Clown

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's just nuts! I just went to Dollar Tree, and I hear a couple guys speaking spanish, and then I hear "spanish, spanish, spanish, D'Anthony Russell, spanish, spanish spanish, Suns, spanish, spanish, spanish." I am serious, does everyone in Phoenix know who D'Anthony Russell is? I am thinking the Suns are going to have to overcome major disappointment if we get free agents other than D'Anthony Russell.
Who is d’anthony Russell? Is he a pg?related to d’angelo?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'd rather have Rubio at a decent price than giving frigging JLo the max. I mean the max!? Come on peeps.

Disappears in playoffs
AND
Doesn't play defense

for the max!?

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather have Rubio at a decent price than giving frigging JLo the max. I mean the max!? Come on peeps.

Disappears in playoffs
AND
Doesn't play defense

for the max!?

Is Russel worth the max, no. Is he worth it to the suns? I say yes. You have to keep Booker happy. It is unfortunate but 2 years of ricky rubio and Dbook will look to bounce AZ

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Is Russel worth the max, no. Is he worth it to the suns? I say yes. You have to keep Booker happy. It is unfortunate but 2 years of ricky rubio and Dbook will look to bounce AZ
I will say I have seen analysts say D'Lo and Book would be right up there with Golden State and Houston's backcourts. I would almost put them past Houston just because Paul is slowing down, but Harden kinda picks up the slack.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Book and DLo are unproven, DLo does have a little bit of playoff experience, i'd compare them more to Dame and MC

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We desperately need another guy that can get buckets. I expect Ayton to get better but Booker and DLO are both dynamic your talking about a very young and exciting core

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'd rather have Rubio at a decent price than giving frigging JLo the max.

I don’t know man.
JLo is pretty hot.
Not sure how Aroid would react tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think DAR is a possibility. The Booker connection is a draw. If the three playing together is a “thing” then it makes sense to make a big offer. Yes. Even a max deal—which would really bother me. They have to make it quick and force the Nets to act quickly to renounce or take a sign and trade offer.

The Suns are competing with LA and Minny on this. LA has the money but not the friend. Minny has the friend but not the money. Phoenix can get the money and has the friend.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Hmm, a Dlo, book, Ayton and KAT core would sound good to me!
Player: DRPM: Rank per position:

Book: -2.44: 91
Dlo: -0.57: 59
KAT: 0.84 49
Ayton: 0.90 48 (for some reason ESPN has him listed as SF... cuz that's all we had on the roster. I adjusted it to the Center.)

Not a single one of them fall in the top 45 of their positions. That means they are worse than half the backups. Imagine just how bad our D would be.

More entertaining than what we have now? Absolutely.
Winning anything of significance? No

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Player: DRPM: Rank per position:

Book: -2.44: 91
Dlo: -0.57: 59
KAT: 0.84 49
Ayton: 0.90 48 (for some reason ESPN has him listed as SF... cuz that's all we had on the roster. I adjusted it to the Center.)

Not a single one of them fall in the top 45 of their positions. That means they are worse than half the backups. Imagine just how bad our D would be.

More entertaining than what we have now? Absolutely.
Winning anything of significance? No

I knew Booker was bad defensively, but I didn't realize he was that bad. I am starting to doubt if a winning team can feature Booker as its best player...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson