Point guard speculation article - Russell hope

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by TigToad, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Send Jackson, Tyler Johnson (if they want him), and a protected 1st for Russell. The protection is what really makes or breaks that deal. If we could send out Tyler Johnson though we'd still have money to spend elsewhere and resign Oubre. I don't think Randle would be ideal, maybe Mirotic? I don't think we'd need a backup PG with all we have on the roster. Melton, Jerome, and Okobo plus that other undrafted kid should be fine as backup PG.

2. Proximo

Proximo Registered

How via a sign and trade?

The only reason they would not match is if they can use the 2 max slots - if they are going to do that, they can't take back salary.

If they fail to use the second max slot - what are we going to trade them that matches salary and is more valuable than what they can get as a free agent?

Our offer would have to be like Josh Jackson, Tyler Johnson and a first rounder. That is not a very appealing package.

elindholm likes this.
  3. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I don't see how a sign-and-trade could happen. Since Warren has been jettisoned, the Suns have only three positive assets on the roster: Booker, Ayton, and Bridges (unless you count the rookies). Unless the Suns are willing to part with Bridges and some future picks -- most of which they have also already tossed -- there's no credible way for them to provide compensation to the Nets for Russell.

4. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Is our cupboard even more bare now than it was at the end of the Babby/Blanks era?...

5. WildBB

WildBB GL - MG!

TJohnson would have to part of any deal. Mtl. Would the Clippers take that on? I doubt it.

6. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

T Johnson is an expiring contract. That's about the best thing we have left to trade. I doubt Sarver allows Bridges to be traded.

7. SunsFanFirst

SunsFanFirst Rookie

All you prove is he is better than the rookies and other crap we had on the team. Not saying much. All of those other players were on good teams with other scoring threats. Booker stat padded on a horrible team.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

if they really want Russell and want to keep the core they have, there's no reason they need to do a sign and trade. All they need to do is spend the money, bite the bullet on stretching TJ and voila... you have enough $ for Russell without having to give up any assets.

that said, if they don't want to spend that money and sign and trade is the only option, they need Russell to put NJ over a barrel and have him say you can either lose me for nothing or take what the Suns give you. I'd go with TJ, and our first rounder next year. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless they for some reason wanted to take JJ off our hands.

Going into next season with:

Booker
    Russell
    Oubre
    Saric
    Ayton

Bench:
    Bridges
    Baynes
    Two Rookies

That would be a solid foundation for the future, where we'd have to hope that Bridges and especially Ayton become forces on the court.

It would be a hell of a lot better than signing Joseph to what I believe would be a ridiculous contract if we offered him even 10 million for multiple years. That's a disastrous move if that's all we do this off-season.

Chaplin likes this.
  9. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Our first rounder in that deal would have to be lottery protected, in my opinion, and we would need to find another PF so that Saric isn't the only PF on the roster, but other than that I concur with this.

10. cheesebeef

they're not going to be able to do everything at once. There are cap/assets limitations.

And I'd protect it top 5, but wouldn't feel bad if that was the case. He'd basically be our lottery pick next year.

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

And let's say for argument's sake, they get Kyrie and Durant. They're going to LOVE having a lottery pick next year, because with those two, they'd probably not even sniff the lottery.

12. SunsFanFirst

SunsFanFirst Rookie

LOL... In a game that we got blown out in. At least Kobe did it in a winning fashion. And I never said he was a horrible player.. just grossly overrated by Suns fans.

13. taz02

taz02 Registered

Except Durant wont play next season

14. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

Kyrie alone they won't sniff the lottery, and it's the eastern conference.

15. cheesebeef

agreed. even without Durant, the Nets will basically be the same team only swapping out Kyrie for Russell. I think that swap probably keeps them running in place, which gets them 7 or 8 seed this year with what they probably hope is the missing piece next year with Durant back... even tho I don't think he'll be close to the same player. Durant will probably morph into more of a Dirk at the tail end of his prime when he comes back. I just don't expect the same explosiveness at 32 coming off a devastating injury like an achilles.